The Student Room Group
Students graduating at Aberystwyth University
Aberystwyth University

Questions about studying/life in Aberystwyth (Astrophys)

Hey!

So I've got a couple queries about Aber, life and studying there generally. I've applied for Astrophysics, specifically;

1) How good are the facilities? I've seen the outside of Physics and it looked sort of like a...detention centre. Looks can be deceiving, though.

2) What is accommodation like? I'd love to live by the seafront (I've been to see the place before) but I've heard things about flood warnings?

3) I'm not a stickler for reputation in the way some TSRians are but, I've noticed Aberystwyth has dropped loads recently. Is there a reason, such as construction or reforming etc?

And finally 4) What kinds of societies are there? I'm mostly into astronomy, Welsh language (not activism, can't think of the word...promotion?) and video games and such.

Apologies for so many questions - I absolutely fell in love with the place, but I'm cautious to do anything without knowing what I'm getting into.

Thank you! c:
Hey! :smile:
I'm currently in my second year at Aber, and I would highly recommend it!
1) The facilities are really good, and what I've seen of the lecture theatres in the Physics building the outside is definitely deceiving, although as I study French and International Politics I don't know what the whole building is like.
2) I've lived in Fferm Penglais both years so far and I love it. I don't know a huge amount about the Seafront accommodation but I know you don't get very much fridge and freezer space which isn't great, but you are allowed to buy your own fridge if you want. Yeah they have a lot of flood warnings on seafront and if the wind gets too high security lock the front doors so you can only get out the back as roof tiles have been known to fly off the roof! :redface: Also apparently if it gets really bad the seafront accommodation will be evacuated and people have to stay with their friends up the hill, although that hasn't happened since I've been here.
3) I'm not entirely sure why the uni has dropped, maybe someone else will be able to answer that for you :smile:
4) I'm not in any societies, but there's a list on this link with info for you: https://www.abersu.co.uk/teamaber/societies/societieslist/

I fell in love with the place too, hence why I came to a uni that's a 9 hour train journey from home (which costs a fortune). If you decide to come here, and don't mind the distance you'll need to travel to get to most big-name stores, then you won't regret it!
Hope this helps at least a little bit :smile:
Students graduating at Aberystwyth University
Aberystwyth University
Original post by CastCuraga
Hey!

So I've got a couple queries about Aber, life and studying there generally. I've applied for Astrophysics, specifically;

1) How good are the facilities? I've seen the outside of Physics and it looked sort of like a...detention centre. Looks can be deceiving, though.

2) What is accommodation like? I'd love to live by the seafront (I've been to see the place before) but I've heard things about flood warnings?

3) I'm not a stickler for reputation in the way some TSRians are but, I've noticed Aberystwyth has dropped loads recently. Is there a reason, such as construction or reforming etc?

And finally 4) What kinds of societies are there? I'm mostly into astronomy, Welsh language (not activism, can't think of the word...promotion?) and video games and such.

Apologies for so many questions - I absolutely fell in love with the place, but I'm cautious to do anything without knowing what I'm getting into.

Thank you! c:

Hi :smile:!

1) The department of Physics is housed in one of the most distinctive and architecturally-renowned buildings on Aberystwyth University's Penglais campus, where lecture theatres, laboratories, study areas and the Physical Sciences Library are located together. Recent refurbishment ensures that we continue to provide a stimulating learning environment for our students.

2) It is only under severe weather conditions that the University would call to evacuate the Seafront accommodation - which is a very rare occasion. If it were to be evacuated, it would be for your own safety. :h:

Did you have a chance to have a look at any of our other accommodation during your visit?

Fferm Penglais is just off our main Campus and is the most recently built accommodation at Aberystwyth, offering en-suite rooms with shared kitchen facilities.

Rosser is also an en-suite accommodation located on Penglais Campus, and the shared facilities of the accommodation have been recently refurbished, as have the shared facilities in Cwrt Mawr, another Unviersity accommodation situated on Penglais Campus. On our website you can view 360 tours of all our University accommodation and find out more about the amenities they offer: https://www.aber.ac.uk/en/accommodation/accommodation-options/

3) According to the Complete University Guide 2018 League Table, Aberystwyth University has risen 19 places since last year, and is ranked 68th in the 2018 University League Tables (https://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/league-tables/rankings). Aberystwyth University has also been named University of the Year for Teaching Quality in the Times and Sunday Times Good University Guide 2018 (https://www.aber.ac.uk/en/news/archive/2017/09/title-206783-en.html). More specifically, the department of Physics at Aberystwyth scored 91% for student satisfaction in the most recent National Student Survey. :crown:

4) A list of all of Aberystwyth Students' Union Societies can be found here: https://www.abersu.co.uk/teamaber/societies/societieslist/. If you can't find a society that suits you, you can work with the Union to set up a brand new society :thumbsup:!

Aberystwyth University has it's very own Welsh Students' Union, which is called UMCA (Undeb Myfyrwyr Cymraeg Aberystwyth). Every student at Aberystwyth that identifies themselves as a Welsh speaker are automatically a member of the Union, and the Union supports the students educationally, linguistically and socially. UMCA also offers free Welsh lessons to all students of the University. There's plenty going on here at Aberystwyth to promote Welsh language and culture, so to find out more about how you can get involved whilst at Aber, drop the UMCA President an e-mail on [email protected].

I hope this helps to answer all of your questions! :cute:

Lleucu :rose:
Reply 3
Original post by Kiralee97
Hey! :smile:
I'm currently in my second year at Aber, and I would highly recommend it!
1) The facilities are really good, and what I've seen of the lecture theatres in the Physics building the outside is definitely deceiving, although as I study French and International Politics I don't know what the whole building is like.
2) I've lived in Fferm Penglais both years so far and I love it. I don't know a huge amount about the Seafront accommodation but I know you don't get very much fridge and freezer space which isn't great, but you are allowed to buy your own fridge if you want. Yeah they have a lot of flood warnings on seafront and if the wind gets too high security lock the front doors so you can only get out the back as roof tiles have been known to fly off the roof! :redface: Also apparently if it gets really bad the seafront accommodation will be evacuated and people have to stay with their friends up the hill, although that hasn't happened since I've been here.
3) I'm not entirely sure why the uni has dropped, maybe someone else will be able to answer that for you :smile:
4) I'm not in any societies, but there's a list on this link with info for you: https://www.abersu.co.uk/teamaber/societies/societieslist/

I fell in love with the place too, hence why I came to a uni that's a 9 hour train journey from home (which costs a fortune). If you decide to come here, and don't mind the distance you'll need to travel to get to most big-name stores, then you won't regret it!
Hope this helps at least a little bit :smile:

Hey! Sorry for the slow reply, don't often come here now the exams are looming ^^;
Thank you for taking your time to answer all of this, it's really helpful. Particularly as you came way from home and still love the place; I'm from County Wicklow in Ireland so that's v reassuring to me :smile:

Original post by Aberystwyth University
Hi :smile:!

1) The department of Physics is housed in one of the most distinctive and architecturally-renowned buildings on Aberystwyth University's Penglais campus, where lecture theatres, laboratories, study areas and the Physical Sciences Library are located together. Recent refurbishment ensures that we continue to provide a stimulating learning environment for our students.

2) It is only under severe weather conditions that the University would call to evacuate the Seafront accommodation - which is a very rare occasion. If it were to be evacuated, it would be for your own safety. :h:

Did you have a chance to have a look at any of our other accommodation during your visit?

Fferm Penglais is just off our main Campus and is the most recently built accommodation at Aberystwyth, offering en-suite rooms with shared kitchen facilities.

Rosser is also an en-suite accommodation located on Penglais Campus, and the shared facilities of the accommodation have been recently refurbished, as have the shared facilities in Cwrt Mawr, another Unviersity accommodation situated on Penglais Campus. On our website you can view 360 tours of all our University accommodation and find out more about the amenities they offer: https://www.aber.ac.uk/en/accommodation/accommodation-options/

3) According to the Complete University Guide 2018 League Table, Aberystwyth University has risen 19 places since last year, and is ranked 68th in the 2018 University League Tables (https://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/league-tables/rankings). Aberystwyth University has also been named University of the Year for Teaching Quality in the Times and Sunday Times Good University Guide 2018 (https://www.aber.ac.uk/en/news/archive/2017/09/title-206783-en.html). More specifically, the department of Physics at Aberystwyth scored 91% for student satisfaction in the most recent National Student Survey. :crown:

4) A list of all of Aberystwyth Students' Union Societies can be found here: https://www.abersu.co.uk/teamaber/societies/societieslist/. If you can't find a society that suits you, you can work with the Union to set up a brand new society :thumbsup:!

Aberystwyth University has it's very own Welsh Students' Union, which is called UMCA (Undeb Myfyrwyr Cymraeg Aberystwyth). Every student at Aberystwyth that identifies themselves as a Welsh speaker are automatically a member of the Union, and the Union supports the students educationally, linguistically and socially. UMCA also offers free Welsh lessons to all students of the University. There's plenty going on here at Aberystwyth to promote Welsh language and culture, so to find out more about how you can get involved whilst at Aber, drop the UMCA President an e-mail on [email protected].

I hope this helps to answer all of your questions! :cute:

Hi, thank you so much for this info! Apologies as I realise my message sounded antagonistic, was more from a place of fear than criticism. As said to the lass above I'm all the way in Ireland so was probably being more critical on my visit ^^; This is all very reassuring though, so thank you! I didn't get to see the facilities or accommodation on my trip but it is good that there's stuff online for it.

If I may ask regarding accommodation - I remember that there were some student houses near the seafront, and I think there was a giant hill right next to it - which one was that if you know? :smile:

Once again thank you kindly for your time! :yep:
Original post by CastCuraga
Hey! Sorry for the slow reply, don't often come here now the exams are looming ^^;
Thank you for taking your time to answer all of this, it's really helpful. Particularly as you came way from home and still love the place; I'm from County Wicklow in Ireland so that's v reassuring to me :smile:

Hi, thank you so much for this info! Apologies as I realise my message sounded antagonistic, was more from a place of fear than criticism. As said to the lass above I'm all the way in Ireland so was probably being more critical on my visit ^^; This is all very reassuring though, so thank you! I didn't get to see the facilities or accommodation on my trip but it is good that there's stuff online for it.

If I may ask regarding accommodation - I remember that there were some student houses near the seafront, and I think there was a giant hill right next to it - which one was that if you know? :smile:

Once again thank you kindly for your time! :yep:

No not at all - don't apologise! I'm glad that I can help with any worries that you may have. :cute:

I think you might be referring to Constitution Hill, that is located right at the very north end of Aberystwyth's North Beach. And you're right, there is a private sector accommodation available right at the foot of Constitution Hill, which is Alexandra Halls. Aberystwyth University's Seafront Residence is only a stones throw away of Constitution Hill as well, as you may remember from your visit!

This might be of interest - we have an online open day coming up on the 26th of April. It's the ideal opportunity for you to chat with course lecturers and University staff, see tours of our accommodation and campus, and to answer any other questions that you may have about the University! :smile: You can book your place online now by following this link: https://www.aber.ac.uk/en/undergrad/open-days/online-open-day/

Has anyone had their accommodation allocated yet? If not is there any idea when it is being allocated?
Original post by Growingold
Has anyone had their accommodation allocated yet? If not is there any idea when it is being allocated?

Hi :smile:

We are hoping to start sending out accommodation offers to Unconditional students this week, therefore please keep an eye on your emails. :h:

Quick Reply

Latest