The Student Room Group

Should I drop out of my masters?

I'm one semester into an English Lit masters and hating it. I got a first at undergrad (also in english) and couldn't wait to start my masters. I took a year out to earn money, did a bit of travelling, felt a little unsure about coming back to do the masters come september but put it down to cold feet. Now it's January, I'm depressed, anxious and more miserable than I've ever been. All my friends are elsewhere working, earning and having a great time whilst I'm back in the place we did our undergrad, with only 2 friends and hating my course. If I drop out now, I'll lose £2k but get £4k back. If I carry on, I'll need to take out the postgrad loan and rack up more debt. I don't want to pursue academia (which after undergrad I thought I did), and the thought of another 8 months writing ******** I don't care about is horrific. How useful is a masters in English really going to be in terms of getting a job?! I have one year's work experience in Marketing and am nearly 25.. I feel like I should have a proper job by now!! I always worked so hard at school and loved learning, but now my head is just not in it and I am so miserable. Is it worth sucking it up to have another qualification?! I just don't know what to do.
Reply 1
The question you should answer is how badly you wanted to do the masters in the first place. If you truly believe that completing it will help you in your career endeavors then you should stay. Check with your careers center at your uni (if there is one) to see what are the extra benefits with your masters in English. But if you feel that you're not enjoying it and are unhappy with your course and want to get working, dropping out would be your option. You'd still get a job with a Bachelors degree anyway.
Reply 2
Hey, did you go ahead with this? Im in the exact same situation except I am 1 thesis away from finishing :frown:. I don't want to have wasted my time but the MA is more of an ego thing rather than actually wanting to use it or pursue a career in the field I am studying.
Original post by JillyB94
Hey, did you go ahead with this? Im in the exact same situation except I am 1 thesis away from finishing :frown:. I don't want to have wasted my time but the MA is more of an ego thing rather than actually wanting to use it or pursue a career in the field I am studying.

I'm in the exact same boat. Just about to finish second term, but I just can't stomach spending the next three months writing a dissertation on something I have no interest in. Having spent so much time and money on the Masters it's going to be really difficult explaining why I quit to my family and friends. I haven't even consider what me in 5 years is going to think when he looks back :I
(edited 5 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending