The Student Room Group

Edexcel Spanish A-level 9SP0 - 11 & 14 Jun 2018 [Exam discussion]

I haven't seen an exam thread for this year (seems like most people do AQA instead!) so I thought I'd create one!

I'm pretty sure these are the details:
April/May - Speaking exams
11 June - Listening, Reading, Translation to English
14 June - Literature, Film, Translation to Spanish

How's everyone feeling about the exams?

Scroll to see replies

Great thread! I've added it to our Exam Thread Directory :woo: Good luck with your exams!
Original post by Lelanor

How's everyone feeling about the exams?

I'm starting to get really nervous, I feel so under-prepared for the Literature section:dontknow:
Reply 3
When do you guys have your oral?
I think mine's around the 20th of April
Reply 5
Original post by cherrycherry
I think mine's around the 20th of April

How do you prepare for Task 1??
Original post by Ben2234
How do you prepare for Task 1??

I'm just going through the units in the book that could be on the card, and writing down and revising the vocab section of each. I also think it's a good idea to have a general idea of what your opinion is about each issue that could come up e.g is diversity in types of family positive? is immigration negative? etc. so your ideas are easy to justify. Remember that you can try and direct the conversation to an extent, add in "¿Estás de acuerdo?" or "¿Entiendes mi punto de vista?" to check that box on the mark scheme. Honestly, just prepare a really good presentation for Task 2, revise the vocab in prep for Task 1 and you'll be good :smile:

Reply 7
But do you have the stimuli cards for the debate of task 1?
how did your oral go? were the discussion points difficult? what cards came up ? I'm anxious to know
Pretty terrified for these exams I'm ngl :frown:, can't wait to get my speaking exam out the way so that I can fully focus on paper 1 which is my worst by far.
Reply 10
Original post by chocolateoreo99
Pretty terrified for these exams I'm ngl :frown:, can't wait to get my speaking exam out the way so that I can fully focus on paper 1 which is my worst by far.

Honestly don't worry! I'm not with Edexcel but I had my speaking exam today and it wasn't anywhere near as scary I thought it would be (and I'm not a great speaker at all - I'll do an essay over speaking any day). It goes really fast and remember the examiners want to get the best out of you, not trick you :smile:
I have my oral in a week and i'm feeling very unprepared! I always feel like i have a mind blank for Task 1. Hopefully Task 2 will be fine as it's independent research. Does anyone know how the choosing of the stimulus cards work?
Original post by estudiante90
We'll get a choice between two cards, each with a different sub-theme. We then tell the invigilator which one we've chosen and they'll give us 5 minutes to prepare.

There's more info on page 20 of the spec: https://qualifications.pearson.com/content/dam/pdf/A%20Level/Spanish/2016/Specification%20and%20sample%20assessments/Specification_GCE_A_level_L3_in_Spanish.pdf

Ok thank you so much!
Reply 13
Original post by estudiante90
We'll get a choice between two cards, each with a different sub-theme. We then tell the invigilator which one we've chosen and they'll give us 5 minutes to prepare.

There's more info on page 20 of the spec: https://qualifications.pearson.com/content/dam/pdf/A%20Level/Spanish/2016/Specification%20and%20sample%20assessments/Specification_GCE_A_level_L3_in_Spanish.pdf

Which cards did you have to choose from ?
Has anyone already had there exam and can give me some tips, I have mine tomorrow. Just wondering how much we need to know about each tema. Like does it have to be a relatively general convo or do you need to know stats and in depth info. Also with your personal investigation, after your 2 min intro do they stop you or wait for you to finish?
Hi! I had mine last week. It’s a fairly general conversation, it’s meant to be quite back-and-forth. It’s not mandatory to learn stats and in depth info but it may help you expand on some points, it could be worth learning a few facts for each theme if you want! I went over the 2 minutes by a few seconds but they let me finish with no interruption. If you’re presentation runs a lot over they might. Buena suerte
Original post by lucamarshall
Has anyone already had there exam and can give me some tips, I have mine tomorrow. Just wondering how much we need to know about each tema. Like does it have to be a relatively general convo or do you need to know stats and in depth info. Also with your personal investigation, after your 2 min intro do they stop you or wait for you to finish?
Hey guys! How are you preparing for the literature part? I'm doing 'Bodas the sangre' for the book and 'Diarios de 'motocicleta' for the film.
Original post by JackusGomux
Hey guys! How are you preparing for the literature part? I'm doing 'Bodas the sangre' for the book and 'Diarios de 'motocicleta' for the film.

Hi!

My teacher has given us a list of possible essay titles so I'm currently just preparing essay plans for each one and memorising quotes. How about you? :smile:
Reply 18
How is everyone feeling for the Listening, Reading and Translation to English Paper?
I have done somer specimen papers online and have found the mark scheme to be very rigid and in some cases confusing!
Hey, how's everyone revising for the reading/listening paper? Also, does anyone have good sources where to get translations to practice from? :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending