The Student Room Group

When should I give the UKCAT??

Hey! I'm in my AS currently, and will be giving my AS CIES in May/June 2018. I'm aiming to apply for Medicine, for the 2019 fall entry. I'm confused when to give the UKCAT. I've read that the UCAS application deadline for 2019 entry for most courses in Medicine is Monday 15th October, 2018. Should I give the UKCAT in the first sitting i.e July 2018 or the second one i.e October 2018? For the October sitting, the results are delivered to the universities in early November 2018. So the deadline to apply for the universities would've passed right? I'd love any advice I can get for preparation too, TIA!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ryaqub
Hey! I'm in my AS currently, and will be giving my AS CIES in May/June 2018. I'm aiming to apply for Medicine, for the 2019 fall entry. I'm confused when to give the UKCAT. I've read that the UCAS application deadline for 2019 entry for most courses in Medicine is Monday 15th October, 2018. Should I give the UKCAT in the first sitting i.e July 2018 or the second one i.e October 2018? For the October sitting, the results are delivered to the universities in early November 2018. So the deadline to apply for the universities would've passed right? I'd love any advice I can get for preparation too, TIA!

Hi there,

Yep, you're right - 15th October is the UCAS deadline. You can take your UKCAT at any point between 2nd July and 2nd October - the choice is yours!

You can read up on registration dates, how to book and different sections of the exam plus expert preparation tips for tackling each question type on our UKCAT Guide.

We also have a completely free UKCAT Question Bank, which has thousands of questions and answer explanations, as well as detailed performance tracking so you can track your scores this way.

Hope this helps! :smile:
The Medic Portal
You can choose to sit it any date between 2nd July and 2nd October. I'd recommend booking earlier rather than later as you can always cancel and reschedule(its free to reschedule it up until two(or so) days before before the date you chose, any closer to the date will cost you the test fee). That way you can get a good time to sit it at and not at 8am of something like that.
Personally I did it in August, before school went back as then it gave me time to decide my unis(your score, which you find out as soon as you take it, can affect this) and also focus on my PS and BMAT(if you apply to BMAT unis). It's also cheaper to do the test in July and August than September/October.

Personally for preparation I used the 1250 q book(harder than the real thing) and all the online free resources I could find.
I also began revising for it about 6 weeks before I sat it, however only intensely the week before.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 3
thanks for your reply! I think I’m most probably gonna register for july/august. Also I read somewhere that if you give your exam in July/August/September, they send the result to you. But if you give the exam in October, your results are sent directly to the university, not to you. Do you know if that true? Also how long do the results usually take?

Original post by AzureCeleste
You can choose to sit it any date between 2nd July and 2nd October. I'd recommend booking earlier rather than later as you can always cancel and reschedule(its free to reschedule it up until two(or so) days before before the date you chose, any closer to the date will cost you the test fee). That way you can get a good time to sit it at and not at 8am of something like that.
Personally I did it in August, before school went back as then it gave me time to decide my unis(your score, which you find out as soon as you take it, can affect this) and also focus on my PS and BMAT(if you apply to BMAT unis). It's also cheaper to do the test in July and August than September/October.

Personally for preparation I used the 1250 q book(harder than the real thing) and all the online free resources I could find.
I also began revising for it about 6 weeks before I sat it, however only intensely the week before.
I think they send the result directly to the universities that you have applied to, no matter the period you sat the exam.

At least that was the case when I did it last year.
Original post by ryaqub
thanks for your reply! I think I’m most probably gonna register for july/august. Also I read somewhere that if you give your exam in July/August/September, they send the result to you. But if you give the exam in October, your results are sent directly to the university, not to you. Do you know if that true? Also how long do the results usually take?

Your results are automatically printed off the minute you finish the test and are given to you. The results get sent to the uni sometime in november, however you don't need to do this as the UKCAT will send it to them.
Reply 6
Does the difficulty of the test change event by a tiny bit at any point of the test taking period?
Hey! I am a first-year graduate medic at KCL.

I would definitely give the UKCAT as early as possible. There are a plethora of good books and resources out there for practising as mentioned above so make good use of those!

If you want to ask me any specific questions about the UKCAT, medical school applications or anything else feel free to DM me :smile:

-KharmaMedic
Original post by ktron
Does the difficulty of the test change event by a tiny bit at any point of the test taking period?

AFAIK, no. You're ranked against your peers anyway, so in a year the average scores may be higher than another, leading to higher cut-offs. So don't worry about taking it early or late. Just whenever you have the time and are ready.
Original post by ktron

They have a bank of however many questions.
Each person's test is different and the questions are randomly selected for them to do. Some people may have slightly easier or harder tests however across the board they will all be a similair level.
Reply 10
Original post by TeaAndLifting
AFAIK, no. You're ranked against your peers anyway, so in a year the average scores may be higher than another, leading to higher cut-offs. So don't worry about taking it early or late. Just whenever you have the time and are ready.

They have a bank of however many questions.
Each person's test is different and the questions are randomly selected for them to do. Some people may have slightly easier or harder tests however across the board they will all be a similair level.

Thanks guys.

If you don't mind me asking, what UKCAT score did you get? I'm a hopeful medic wanting to apply on October 2018. :smile:
Original post by coolbeans63
If you don't mind me asking, what UKCAT score did you get? I'm a hopeful medic wanting to apply on October 2018. :smile:

3070, average 757.5
3070, average 757.5

That's a solid score! Which unis did you apply to and did you get accepted?
That's a solid score! Which unis did you apply to and did you get accepted?

Edinburgh-offer
Aberdeen-offer
Glasgow- rejected post interview(I messed it up very badly and they only consider the interview at that stage in the application process)
Cambridge- rejected post interview
Edinburgh-offer
Aberdeen-offer
Glasgow- rejected post interview(I messed it up very badly and they only consider the interview at that stage in the application process)
Cambridge- rejected post interview

Oh nice! You must have really good grades! What resources did you use for the UKCAT? And BMAT
Oh nice! You must have really good grades! What resources did you use for the UKCAT? And BMAT

1250 question book(the questions are harder than the real thing, but it makes the real thing seem easier)
also any free resources I could find online. The UKCAT website for practice tests and another one.
I didn't pay for anything, only bought the book
1250 question book(the questions are harder than the real thing, but it makes the real thing seem easier)
also any free resources I could find online. The UKCAT website for practice tests and another one.
I didn't pay for anything, only bought the book

Thank you so much!
Thank you so much!

Just realized I didn't answer the BMAT part of the q. I bought a book for the BMAT(I just read reviews online and decided which one I thought was best) and then this website https://bmat.ninja/ Again, only using the free resources
Just realized I didn't answer the BMAT part of the q. I bought a book for the BMAT(I just read reviews online and decided which one I thought was best) and then this website https://bmat.ninja/ Again, only using the free resources

Ahh I didn't notice either! Thank you. Did you find the BMAT or UKCAT harder?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending