The Student Room Group

Police Officer here. Ask me anything about working for the Police!

Scroll to see replies

Hey do you need to be a certain age, height, weight etc. And what’s the training like? ☀️
Have you ever fired a gun out of the window while in a police pursuit? If not, have you ever fired 2 guns from the window while in a police pursuit?
Reply 22
Original post by PoliceOfficer999
As above..

Hey! Would you happen to know when greater Manchester police are recruiting?

Would you see more career progression with a degree than if you didn't have one? Are you more competitive?

Being 18, with A-levels and working/volunteering since 16, would I stand a realistic chance in selection?

Would you say Police Now is a better scheme than going in the standard way?

Bit of a weird question. How many fatalities do you see in a year?

Thanks!!!
Hi was there any grad schemes when you applied? Is there much earning potential in policing?
Original post by Lily048
I applied to be an Enquiry Officer, got through, interviewed, but failed at the last hurdle (my answers went a bit off tangent and I didn’t intrinsically link them to the core competencies and spec). However I did really revise and I even wrote out revision notes on different pieces of legislation in case I was asked (they said it could come up).
They told me not to give up and keep trying but I don’t know how you can interview well for public sector positions? The questions are so open/broad and I just don’t understand how to interview well if I get offered another interview, seeing as I did my research and did everything else you’d normally do for an interview (dress well, appear confident, good handshake, ask questions, presented myself well enough, etc), any help?
I’m a current graduate btw

Sorry I'm only just getting to this..

Assuming you're applying for Police Constable, you need to be hitting the Police core competencies. These can all be found on the college of policing website under their recruitmenty bit. It's honestly all just a game, and you need to answer the questions in quite a specific way to get the points, if that makes sense.

I personally recommend Bluelight Consultancy. The guy that does it is an ex-Inspector in GMP, and is an expert in police recruitment. He does courses on how to pass the assessment centre and what to do/say, etc. Go and check out their website, join the facebook page and ask any questions that you have.
Original post by ANM775
what do you think of vigilanties who take the law into their own hands like Batman

Batman is a badass. I wish I was Batman.
Can you join without any qualifications?
Original post by simple123site
Do you think the increase in crime is because the Police funding and force has been cut under the current government?

On a side note, thanks for policing Police Officer.

Absolutely. We don't have enough funding to do proactive work any more. We have just about enough officers to respond to 999 calls, but we cannot go out and actively target problems or problem areas. We can't go into schools and educate about knife crime, and the court system is so underfunded and unfit for purpose that the people we do manage to prosecute are out of jail in a few years ready to offend again. The Police need more money.
Original post by TheEnchantress
Hey do you need to be a certain age, height, weight etc. And what’s the training like? ☀️

You have to be 18 years old, and you have to have a healthy BMI, but that's about it. I know officers who are 5ft and I know officers who are 7ft. The training is where you will learn all of the laws and rules that you need to know and follow, but the vast majority of becoming a good Police officer is done out on the streets with your tutor and with your team after that.
Original post by !play
Hey! Would you happen to know when greater Manchester police are recruiting?

Would you see more career progression with a degree than if you didn't have one? Are you more competitive?

Being 18, with A-levels and working/volunteering since 16, would I stand a realistic chance in selection?

Would you say Police Now is a better scheme than going in the standard way?

Bit of a weird question. How many fatalities do you see in a year?

Thanks!!!

GMP are recruiting actively. They're currently doing intakes once every 10 weeks, but they don't advertise that on the website. You need to email [email protected] and ask them to send you an application form the next time that recruitment opens up, and they will be happy to oblige.

The degree makes no difference to be honest. I don't give a damn about the person next to me being well qualified if we have to run into an incident where there may be a violent, knife wielding suspect. All I care about is if they're a good cop.

You may do. I know 18 year old Police officers, but the truth is that the majority of 18 year olds just don't have the life experience to get through the assessment centre. But by all means, apply! You can apply as many times as you want, so if you don't get in the first time just keep applying every 6 months. That's what I did.

Police Now is a management graduate scheme that allows you to wear a Police uniform. If you want to be a good old fashioned Police officer doing Police officer things, then join the standard way.

It's not a weird question! I don't know to be honest, it depends entirely on the area you police. I work somewhere with a lot of drug users, so overdoses are very common and there will be a few sudden deaths per week, but obviously it won't always be you going to those jobs.
What the most dangerous job you've done, don't want to be a police officer, just curious.
Reply 31
As above..

Have you ever fired your gun up in the air and gone aghhhhhh?
As above..

Your opinion on Direct Entry Inspectors and Superintendents?
@PoliceOfficer999

Does the National Decision Model act as an indemnity for officers? If you make a decision under the model, for example in a public order situation, are you protected against legal or internal disciplinary action?
Is it true that if you shoot a person in the correct part of the head they explode (saw someone else make a hot fuzz reference and had to join in)
hi,

I have done Masters but, I still cant drive lol....!! I find the police career very interesting but, also a single mum and I'm not sure about the hours required to do....!
As above..

Are there many non-UK citizens in the police? Do you know whether Brexit will change the ability of EU citizens to join the police? I’m planning on studying criminology in England and then becoming a police officer (becoming a detective is my dream), but I am afraid my nationality will be an obstacle...
Do you agree with the decision of having to have a degree if you apply beyond 2020?
If you can choose one starter to work with you. Would you pick Squirtle or Bulbasaur?

Spoiler

(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Anagogic
Do you agree with the decision of having to have a degree if you apply beyond 2020?

That's disgusting, once again people like me without GCSEs or A levels are pushed out of any chance of having a successful future.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending