The Student Room Group

Sorry TSR, there's nothing impressive about attending a top 10 uni.

In most cases, people who go to a top 10 uni get there as a result of:

1) Strong parental guidance and money
2) Pressure to succeed
3) A bit of academic intelligence

Stop this circlejerk behaviour that you're somehow better or even highly intelligent. It's tiring. The top 10 unis are easily some of the most unequal places too, which shows just how unmeritocratic higher education really is. The system was built for you.

If you're from a disadvantaged background then this post doesnt apply, hats off to you. But other than that, there's really very little credit that these top uni students deserve.

Oxbridge, of course, is a bit different. I still however firmly believe that most people there are scrapes who've had a system that's worked in their favour.

Scroll to see replies

I agree with "stop this circlejerk behaviour that you're somehow better". There are a fair few users on here like that. But this post is just full of gross generalisations. It just screams a sort of "the world is against me, my failures are someone else's fault" mindset that won't really get you anywhere but might give you comfort after disappointment.

There are many "normal" students from "normal" state schools at top universities. And no, not all of them have just been handheld through life.
Too true, obviously though there are people in these places who are highly intelligent and may still be from a richer background.
Well, my dad supported me psychologically

He's an engineer on fairly modest salary.
Original post by Typical TSR
I will go to which ever university lets me bring my beloved pet nibbles with me. He is the most adorable cub (baby tiger) ever. he is called nibbles because he loves to nibble he is so adorable.

:yy:
you know what i actually agree with this
Original post by _gcx
I agree with "stop this circlejerk behaviour that you're somehow better". There are a fair few users on here like that. But this post is just full of gross generalisations. It just screams a sort of "the world is against me, my failures are someone else's fault" mindset that won't really get you anywhere but might give you comfort after disappointment.

There are many "normal" students from "normal" state schools at top universities. And no, not all of them have just been handheld through life.

I hope this isnt directed at me.
Don’t be bitter :lol:
That's because there's no such thing as a top 10 uni. Are you actually telling me that every single employer, student and member of public has established a firm consensus on what the 'top 10 unis' are? Have I ruined my life because I didn't want to spend 3 years in Durham?
(edited 5 years ago)
Agreed - its only impressive if you go to oxbridge (...and maybe imperial)
True
Reply 11
Well that's just your opinion, I'm sure many others who go to bad unis will agree with you. Those who worked hard (and don't try and undermine them by saying they had 'Pressure to succeed' and 'A bit of academic intelligence' ) will obviously not agree.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 12
I can hear the Oxbridge students preparing their pitchforks...
Original post by orderofthelotus
Don’t be bitter :lol:

Im 95% sure im going to a better uni than you are/will be going to.
Original post by UWS
I can hear the Oxbridge students preparing their pitchforks...

Bit like how those grammar/private school lot prepared for their interviews and basically cheated their way through.
Original post by peeked
Well that's just your opinion, I'm sure many others who go to bad unis will agree with you. Those who worked hard (and don't try and undermine them by saying they had 'Pressure to succeed' and 'A bit of academic intelligence' ) will obviously not agree.

It's not that hard to get AAA (which is probably the average grade of these students, if not slightly less) when you have world class opportunity available to you
Original post by MaskOfKeaton
That's because there's no such thing as a top 10 uni. Are you telling me that every single employer, student and member of public agrees on what the 'top 10 unis' are?

Dont be pedantic
Reply 17
Original post by warmlidlbuns
It's not that hard to get AAA (which is probably the average grade of these students, if not slightly less) when you have world class opportunity available to you

A levels are a joke
Original post by GUMI
A levels are a joke

Not really
Original post by warmlidlbuns
Im 95% sure im going to a better uni than you are/will be going to.

I don’t care. Many people do better than me, and many people do better than you. You don’t sound any less bitter :lol:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending