The Student Room Group

How To Convince My Dad About Spain?

I got 5 acceptances from universities, four are in Turkey and one is in Spain.
I prepared an argument and made my top two choices and listed advantages and disadvantages for each. I had the discussion with my father today and he is mostly convinced with Turkey for some reason although the Spanish university is ranked way higher and offers better education and I really want to study there.
Anyone I can email the document to so they can help me find other points I should mention to convince my father?
Which Spanish university? Is it Salamanca by any chance?
Original post by DrSocSciences
Which Spanish university? Is it Salamanca by any chance?

Universidad Carlos III Madrid [UC3M]
Original post by yasminmalhis
Universidad Carlos III Madrid [UC3M]

Which course?
Which course?

Biomedical Engineering
Biomedical Engineering

Ok, the stats on that course at UC3M are in your favour:

60/40 female:male (2016/17, but also consistently for past 3 yrs)

Increasing numbers of entrants from outside Madrid (56% 2016/17, up from 37% in 2014/15)

Consistently high levels of completion and satisfaction

Google "Grado en Ingeniería Biomédica, UC3M" for the data. It's in Spanish but I can help you with that if necessary.
(edited 5 years ago)
Why Turkey and Spain?

It could be he is making the decision based upon finances, Spanish degrees can get fairly expensive when you're paying up front.
Ok, the stats on that course at UC3M are in your favour:

60/40 female:male (2016/17, but also consistently for past 3 yrs)

Increasing numbers of entrants from outside Madrid (56% 2016/17, up from 37% in 2014/15)

Consistently high levels of completion and satisfaction

Google "Grado en Ingeniería Biomédica, UC3M" for the data. It's in Spanish but I can help you with that if necessary.

Thank you so much,
I listed all the rankings for UC3M which are:
#281 in the world, #201 in Engineering, #150 Graduate Employability, #27 Top 50 Under 50 and the Turkish university does not have any rankings.
Also Its tuition is about $300 dollars cheaper than the Turkish one. Spain is also safer and a more developed country.
But I need a visa for Spain while for Turkey I don't.
I don't know why the advantages I listed above were not convincing enough for my dad.
Original post by Helloworld_95
Why Turkey and Spain?

It could be he is making the decision based upon finances, Spanish degrees can get fairly expensive when you're paying up front.

The tuition for both universities will be $10,000 a year.
Go to Spain hands down, very good university and course.

As for convincing your dad, maybe this is your best shot maybe he will feel some nostalgia for this 1983 song:

[video="youtube;sTsVJ1PsnMs"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTsVJ1PsnMs[/video]
How difficult do you anticipate it will be for you to get the visa for Spain? Can you get that process underway before your next discussion with your dad?
How difficult do you anticipate it will be for you to get the visa for Spain? Can you get that process underway before your next discussion with your dad?

I contacted the embassy in my country and they sent me the requirements. Am I supposed to enroll before applying?
Requirements for a Schengen Student Visa Over 180 Days:

* Application form.
* 1 passport size picture.
* Passport (needs to be valid until three months after the date the stay in Spain will end).
* Photocopy of the passport bio page and the Schengen visas of the last 3 years.
* Letter of admission that shows the duration of the studies in:
o An official educational centre in Spain that is authorised to carry on full time programs that lead to a degree, title or certificate of studies.
o An official research or training centre.
* Documents that prove their ties to Jordan and the economic means to sustain themselves:
o Certificates from the studies they are doing in Jordan.
o Banking statement of the last 3 months of a banking account of the applicant or their direct relative that provides them with economic support.

Financial means: proof of economic means to sustain themselves during the period of their stay (banking statement by themselves or by their sponsor i.e. family relative). If part or all expenses are covered by a student grant they need a proof of having received the grant (letter stating the scholarship and the amounts).
* If the student is under 18 years old a parental authorisation for the specific purpose of the trip.
* Official medical certificate that states that the candidate does not suffer any of the illnesses that have a significant repercussion in de public Health according to the International Health Guidelines of 2005 (see attachment).
* Certificate from the Ministry of Justice (no criminal record)
* Certificate from The General Intelligence Department (applicant not sought after by public institutions)
The last three documents (medical certificate, Ministry of Justice certificate and GID certificate) should be legalised from the appropriate authorities and the Jordanian Ministry of Foreign Affairs. Then those documents should be translated into Spanish. Original and copies of these three documents should be submitted with the visa application. If the applicant has lived in other countries in the last five years they need criminal records from those countries.
Health insurance for the time of their total period of stay in Spain has to be presented after the approval of the visa together with a return direct flight ticket.
(edited 5 years ago)
I contacted the embassy in my country and they sent me the requirements. Am I supposed to enroll before applying?
Requirements for a Schengen Student Visa Over 180 Days:

* Application form.
* 1 passport size picture.
* Passport (needs to be valid until three months after the date the stay in Spain will end).
* Letter of admission that shows the duration of the studies

If you need a letter of admission, then yes, you need to apply to university first, and obtain the letter of admission, not just the offer.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending