The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

More or less the same boat as me! I got a 58, but will be trying again this September to do better :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by wishfulmedic
More or less the same boat as me! I got a 58, but will be trying again this September to do better :smile:

hopefully we will do better this time round! Did you apply this past cycle?

Original post by Volibear
:hi:

Final year biology student - Sat the GAMSAT in March, probably will end up sitting it again in September :cry:

I have to say, I'm getting very excited that the 2019 entry threads are popping up now!

Nice, I'm doing biomedical science. Oh, you never know you might have done really well (fingers crossed)!

Me too! Where else are you thinking of applying?
Reply 3
I'm not holding my breath. I had a very busy term and ended up sitting the GAMSAT having done no revision :colondollar: Whilst I think it actually went ok, I'm not getting ahead of myself at all ahahaha

King's and SGUL are on the 'probably not going to change list'. I'm still trying to settle on a 4th option but right now I'm liking the idea of Southampton. Yourself?

haha fair enough, you might just surprise yourself!

I'm thinking of applying to Kings too and maybe Nottingham, not too sure about a 4th either!
I'm not holding my breath. I had a very busy term and ended up sitting the GAMSAT having done no revision :colondollar: Whilst I think it actually went ok, I'm not getting ahead of myself at all ahahaha

King's and SGUL are on the 'probably not going to change list'. I'm still trying to settle on a 4th option but right now I'm liking the idea of Southampton. Yourself?

Original post by drdr2.0
haha fair enough, you might just surprise yourself!

I'm thinking of applying to Kings too and maybe Nottingham, not too sure about a 4th either!

Are you both applying to just GEM or 5 yrs too?
Reply 5
Original post by wishfulmedic
Are you both applying to just GEM or 5 yrs too?

Just GEM I think, don't really see myself being able to finance a 5 year course. Are you applying to both?
Yeah same just GEM, looking at maybe Nottingham and Warwick. I’m planning on using this year to earn as much as possible to help cover GEM costs
Wow, these threads get earlier & earlier each year!

I am the patron saint of Swansea applicants. Current 2nd year (I think). If you have questions, feel free to prostrate before me, I readily answer prayers!

Go through my posts for course info etc... I rarely post about anything but Swansea. And all hail the great Swan above!! :smile:
This is a question I'm essentially asking of every GAMSAT medical school (and I already have my answer from SGUL). Does Swansea distinguish between 2:1 percentages? Or is a 69% considered on the same level as a 61%?

Nope...we just need a 2:1. All 2:1s are equal. It's just something you need to reach interview at which point it'll not be looked at again.

I think you may be thinking of Birmingham's GEC, they definitely do look at percentages (and prefer 1sts)
(edited 5 years ago)
Phew. That's good to know. I'll find out in 20 days if I get my 2:1 or not but since I'm not expecting it to be in the high 60s at all, knowing a 2:1 is all I need for at least two of my choices is a relief :biggrin:

How'd your GAMSAT go? :smile:
Hey, I’m currently a student at Swansea and will be sitting the GAMSAT in September and applying for this coming cycle! How’s everyone feeling?
Reply 11
Hello,

I'm planning to apply for graduate entry Medicine at Swansea this autumn. I sat the Gamsat in March and achieved an overall score of 64.

I also have a 1st in PPE from the University of Sussex, and by the time I apply will have an MSc in Psychology.

I'm hoping that academically I will be ok. However, I'm not sure whether the experience I'll have by the time I send off my application will be sufficient.

By the time I apply I will have completed:

- Around 1 month of care work, mostly looking after children with learning difficulties.

- 1 week shadowing Junior Doctors on a Urology ward at my local hospital.

- 3 days work experience with a Histopathologist, including observing post-mortem examinations.

On top of this I also have experience of caring for elderly family members etc... but not sure if this is appropriate for the application?

If any previous GEM applicants could give me some feedback that would be greatly appreciated. As there's still around 2 months until I send off my application I could potential organise something last minute...

Cheers!
Hi - sorry you haven't had a response to this yet. I'm just going to bump the thread in the hope that someone sees this and can help :h:
Does anyone know if Swansea prefer a 1st over a 2:1? I missed a 1st by 2 As (cry) in Psychology!

Will be applying this year after completely messing up last years Sept GAMSAT (got 50) by not studying and getting about 3 hours sleep the night before.

I wonder if they have a set number of places for us crazy Scottish applicants going into the GEM financial deep end hahaha
Original post by ella_mai
Does anyone know if Swansea prefer a 1st over a 2:1? I missed a 1st by 2 As (cry) in Psychology!

Will be applying this year after completely messing up last years Sept GAMSAT (got 50) by not studying and getting about 3 hours sleep the night before.

I wonder if they have a set number of places for us crazy Scottish applicants going into the GEM financial deep end hahaha

We don't care...at all :smile:

Smash the GAMSAT and hopefully we'll see you at interview. That'll be your chance to shine. Everything else is just a box ticking exercise upto then
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Rosstafa
Hey, I’m currently a student at Swansea and will be sitting the GAMSAT in September and applying for this coming cycle! How’s everyone feeling?

Good luck...not long now :biggrin:
Original post by Swansea Medic
We don't care...at all :smile:

Smash the GAMSAT and hopefully we'll see you at interview. That'll be your chance to shine. Everything else is just a box ticking exercise upto then

Thanks, that is really reassuring.

I wonder how long you need to live in Wales to be officially domiciled there hmm. If I miraculously get a place in Swansea I will be staying with my auntie (who has lived in Swansea for 10+ years)
Hi all
Just wondering is anyone else having trouble finding Swansea GEM on UCAS? All other graduate programmes for other unis showing up except for Swansea...
Original post by histomed
Hi all
Just wondering is anyone else having trouble finding Swansea GEM on UCAS? All other graduate programmes for other unis showing up except for Swansea...

I have no idea why it's disappeared - best bet is ask them direct, the facebook page is very responsive: https://en-gb.facebook.com/swanseagem/

I'm pretty sure it's just UCAS messing up
Reply 19
Are Swansea offering Grad Med this year? It doesn't come up as a UCAS option in any form of the searches. I filled in my application a month ago but since updates the course code has now become invalid?

Latest

Trending

Trending