The Student Room Group

Police Officer here. Ask me anything about working for the Police!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by Brahiti
Would I do the 6 month conversion course at the police department?

Dunno. I doubt it... but have a look here:
http://www.college.police.uk/What-we-do/Learning/pre-join-to-policing/Pages/Pre-join-in-policing.aspx
Reply 81
Have you ever tasered a bad hombre?
Reply 82
Original post by PoliceOfficer999
To provide STUDENTS with career advice should they wish to join the Police.

I guess reception aged kids are also students, which is why you must be here.

Do you want me to try and arrange a Police car with blue flashing lights to come to your school for you?

omg!!! yess pls i've always wanted to see one!!
whats the most illegal someone has ever done that you have arrested them for???
Reply 84
Original post by PoliceOfficer999
I don't personally know any diabetics, you'd have to enquire with the force you want to apply for. Generally it will be looked at on a case by case basis.

I appreciate that's a bit of a crap answer, but completely understand your frustration. I was turned down by the armed forces for a totally non-limiting medical condition, at a time when they are constantly whinging about a lack of manpower. Which is why I'm now a cop!

In terms of eyesight, the Home Office recently changed the guidance to say that as long as you have glasses or contacts that correct your vision to a decent standard you're good to go.

... Legend. Cheers for the information!
Original post by madmadmax321
using them as excuses to not try rather than trying the find solutions to problems you have is a terrible mindset, a lot of people have major problems in their life and find ways to work around them to achieve something they really want (no matter how long it takes + how many trivial things they have to stop doing)

Stfu
Original post by RoxxDavv
Stfu

:rolleyes:
Original post by Brahiti
If I already have an LLB, do I still need to do that whole new degree thing if I want to join the police?

Yeah I think you probably will do. They are Police specific degrees, not law degrees.
Reply 88
Hi,
I just want to ask how you feel about working for the police?
I ask as i've been offered the job but also been offered a fire fighter job, so I'm in two minds about which to choose as each has different pros and cons.
Is promotion rare or difficult to achieve in the police?
I've also heard you can transfer abroad with the police to Aus or canada far as I've heard but not sure if that is correct
Reply 89
I have made a few responses on various forums here on TSR however, I thought i'd offer a slightly different insight should anyone wish for it. I have been in the Police for 11 years and am currently a Detective. Come September, i'll be off to study Law. Any questions, I'll do my best!

To the OP - Didn't want to derail your post, just offer an alternative angle should anyone want it :smile:
I want to become a police officer too, I'm studing A level maths, physics and computing. By the time ive finished a levels next year i've heard that you will need a degree to join, would a degree in computing be ok? I'll need something to fall back on if for some reason I cant join the police and computing will be perfect in case the worst comes to worst.
Reply 91
Original post by FindMySteam
I want to become a police officer too, I'm studing A level maths, physics and computing. By the time ive finished a levels next year i've heard that you will need a degree to join, would a degree in computing be ok? I'll need something to fall back on if for some reason I cant join the police and computing will be perfect in case the worst comes to worst.

According to the info I found here...
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showpost.php?p=77391460&postcount=50
... you could do a CompSci degree and then a 6 month postgrad conversion course.
Original post by Doonesbury
According to the info I found here...
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showpost.php?p=77391460&postcount=50
... you could do a CompSci degree and then a 6 month postgrad conversion course.

Ah, ok, thanks man.
Personally, do you think a cyber security degree be more valuable than computer science for policing? Or does it not matter at all?
Reply 93
Ah, ok, thanks man.
Personally, do you think a cyber security degree be more valuable than computer science for policing? Or does it not matter at all?

No idea - IANAP - but I doubt it makes any difference whatsoever.
Reply 94
Due to the need for a degree now to get into the police which uni/course would you say is the best way in?
Original post by DCDCo
I have made a few responses on various forums here on TSR however, I thought i'd offer a slightly different insight should anyone wish for it. I have been in the Police for 11 years and am currently a Detective. Come September, i'll be off to study Law. Any questions, I'll do my best!

To the OP - Didn't want to derail your post, just offer an alternative angle should anyone want it :smile:

I did a law degree, was planning on going down the solicitor route but having worked in several law firms I decided I would be better suited to the police.

I've got several years in at the moment. Interested to know why you're jumping ship? I can understand with the pressure that we are all under.

What route are you looking to go down?
Original post by oneocean
I did a law degree, was planning on going down the solicitor route but having worked in several law firms I decided I would be better suited to the police.

I've got several years in at the moment. Interested to know why you're jumping ship? I can understand with the pressure that we are all under.

If i may ask, what degree do you have if any?
If i may ask, what degree do you have if any?

2.1 law degree

It doesn't make the slightest bit of different in the police. You don't need qualifications. You just need to pass the assessment centre. The higher the mark, the quicker you get in.
Reply 98
Original post by oneocean

Very briefly:

1. I have absolutely no desire to get promoted, especially when being promoted is less money, up to Chief Inspector.

2. The pay is fine if you don't have a degree, but, i'm at the stage now where all of those people who did graduate have caught up on the pay-scale. I need a goal at work.

3. In my role, i'm probably at the peak of what I can do. My choices are, to leave and do a different role which wouldn't enjoy as much, or get promoted. This leads me back to point 1.

4. I would prefer to be rewarded for good work through a bonus scheme.

All of that said, I still enjoy work. I never wake up thinking I don't want to go in. I've never felt stressed because of work and its never got on top of me. It doesn't affect me in the same way as some others.

I want to at least give 'City Law' a try. If it takes me 3 years + 1 year LPC to land a 50k salaried job, which is a DS wage, then I would say it would be worth it considering how the pay shoots up after your TC. In the last 6 months I have completed at Access Course and got in to, arguably, the top Law School outside of Oxbridge, so i'm going to give it a good crack over the next couple of years. If it all doesn't work out, I know I could go back and then put my mind to getting promoted.

What turned you off the private sector?
Original post by DCDCo
Very briefly:

1. I have absolutely no desire to get promoted, especially when being promoted is less money, up to Chief Inspector.

2. The pay is fine if you don't have a degree, but, i'm at the stage now where all of those people who did graduate have caught up on the pay-scale. I need a goal at work.

3. In my role, i'm probably at the peak of what I can do. My choices are, to leave and do a different role which wouldn't enjoy as much, or get promoted. This leads me back to point 1.

4. I would prefer to be rewarded for good work through a bonus scheme.

All of that said, I still enjoy work. I never wake up thinking I don't want to go in. I've never felt stressed because of work and its never got on top of me. It doesn't affect me in the same way as some others.

I want to at least give 'City Law' a try. If it takes me 3 years + 1 year LPC to land a 50k salaried job, which is a DS wage, then I would say it would be worth it considering how the pay shoots up after your TC. In the last 6 months I have completed at Access Course and got in to, arguably, the top Law School outside of Oxbridge, so i'm going to give it a good crack over the next couple of years. If it all doesn't work out, I know I could go back and then put my mind to getting promoted.

What turned you off the private sector?

Makes sense, you've clearly thought it all through and have it well planned. I wish you all the best.

I'm from South Wales - most of the solicitor jobs around here are not the big city big money types. They are likely on par to top whack PC / Sgt. I can completely see your point of view.

Interesting RE promotion. Most colleagues I meet have absolutely no interest.

I'm going to try and go down the Detective route soon. It seems there's a lot more different job roles to have a crack at.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending