The Student Room Group

URGENT!!!!!

Hi there,

It has come to a time where I need to write my NEA piece as part of my English Literature coursework. My two chosen texts are as follows:

- Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde
- Frankenstein

I have been told to take a thematic approach to the question... so at the moment I’ve read the two texts and had a look at the main themes in the question and I have created overall mind-maps on the most common themes. I have chosen to pick duality as my theme- two sides to human nature good and evil which is also known as ‘doppelganger’. Although, these are two texts that many use for their NEA piece there are different approaches that one can take and I would like to do something different...

Chosen question:
‘Man is not truly but one truly two’.
Compare and contrast the ways in which Shelley and Stevenson convey the duality of human nature in ‘Frankenstein’ and ‘Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde’.

So in my introduction I would write about how in both texts there’s a move away from religion etc. Also, how Mr. Hyde becomes a physical manifestation of the duality of human nature. Whereas, Frankenstein and the monster are twisted entities but are both examples of human nature. In other words, Victor’s conscience is his monster.

I have taken three aspects:
- The contrast between good and evil
- The relationship between Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde and Victor and the monster
- Duality of natural and scientific setting. Both Shelley and Stevenson use natural setting to convey a sense of uneasiness and suspense.

I wanted to see what others think about the three aspects listed above and if possible is there any other ideas that I would be able to add in?

Thanks
Bump
Bump
Bump
Reply 4
I'm not sure anyone's going to help write your coursework, but from what you've written here it seems you've made a solid plan that addresses the question well
Original post by Sataris
I'm not sure anyone's going to help write your coursework, but from what you've written here it seems you've made a solid plan that addresses the question well

Yes true... ok cool thanks. I just thought if there was any ideas I was missing. I just want a fantastic grade for this that’s all!

Quick Reply

Latest