The Student Room Group

Accommodation at Newcastle

Hello,

I will be attending Newcastle University in the fall to start my MSc in clinical psychology. I'm a little worried about the accommodation, though. I wanted to apply through the school, as I really like Newgate Court, but there's no guarantee that I'll get my first choice accommodation. I also really want my own bathroom, and the other options for ensuite are more expensive than the private accommodations I've looked that.

Unfortunately, I live in the USA and I am unable to come visit some of the other accommodations I'm considering. Does anyone have any experience with the private accommodations in Newcastle?

The ones I'm particularly interested are The Sheild, St James View, Nido The Bridge, Roman House, and Nido Stepney Yard.

If anyone has any recommendations they're welcome here as well.

I'm mostly wondering about what the atmosphere is like, especially for postgraduates, if it's worth it to seek private vs University-ran accommodation, what it's like to walk to school if you live in Sheffield and you have class at Newcastle University, etc.

Thanks!
Reply 1
I'd also like to ask if there is any sort of website/forum in which I can look for flatmates to potentially rent with for the private halls. I'm worried about getting along with flatmates. I'm not really a partier, though I do like to have a couple of drinks at home sometimes. I'm worried about flatmates staying up late and loudly in the common rooms and keeping me up.

I'm thinking about getting a studio, but I'm afraid I won't make friends if I don't share my space with anyone. However, there is no guarantee that I'll like and/or get along with flatmates either. I'm really unsure of where/how to live.
Original post by alleriom
I'd also like to ask if there is any sort of website/forum in which I can look for flatmates to potentially rent with for the private halls. I'm worried about getting along with flatmates. I'm not really a partier, though I do like to have a couple of drinks at home sometimes. I'm worried about flatmates staying up late and loudly in the common rooms and keeping me up.

I'm thinking about getting a studio, but I'm afraid I won't make friends if I don't share my space with anyone. However, there is no guarantee that I'll like and/or get along with flatmates either. I'm really unsure of where/how to live.

Your best bet is to take uni accommodation or even a B&B for a team/bit and then move into private accommodation. You may find virtual tours online. And no you can't walk to uni in Newcastle from Sheffield! Maybe check where they are on a map?

Your best bet is to take uni accommodation or even a B&B for a team/bit and then move into private accommodation. You may find virtual tours online. And no you can't walk to uni in Newcastle from Sheffield! Maybe check where they are on a map?
Reply 4
Original post by alleycat393

On the map it says it's only a 20 minute walk away. I'm not talking about the city Sheffield, but the neighborhood in Newcastle Sheffield. Like Jesmond?
On the map it says it's only a 20 minute walk away. I'm not talking about the city Sheffield, but the neighborhood in Newcastle Sheffield. Like Jesmond?

Ah in that case yes you should be fine. But like I said before you can take something short term and then move when you know the area better.
Reply 6

Shieldfield

Yes, it's an easy walk to Newcastle University
(edited 5 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending