The Student Room Group

Questions for Variable Accn further maths?

I've just done the variable accn worksheet by Edexcel, and it was very hard.

I want to do more questions like this. Anyone know where I can find some?

This includes: Acceleration varying with time, velocity and displacement.

I've tried looking in M2 and etc, but I can't find any. Thanks.
Reply 1
Original post by RickHendricks

M2 is the best place to look. Do you have an M2 textbook? Or M2 past paper questions e.g. using this link:

http://pmt.physicsandmathstutor.com/download/Maths/A-level/M2/Topic-Qs/Edexcel-Set-1/M2%20Kinematics%20-%20Problems%20with%20calculus.pdf
Original post by Notnek
M2 is the best place to look. Do you have an M2 textbook? Or M2 past paper questions e.g. using this link:

http://pmt.physicsandmathstutor.com/download/Maths/A-level/M2/Topic-Qs/Edexcel-Set-1/M2%20Kinematics%20-%20Problems%20with%20calculus.pdf

Hi

Thanks for the reply.

And no, I don't have the M2 textbook.

I saw the paper you just sent me. This only has accn varying with time. The questions that I would be faced with would be when accn is varying with displacement and velocity. Do you know what module that falls into?
Reply 3
Hi

Thanks for the reply.

I saw the paper you just sent me. This only has accn varying with time. The questions that I would be faced with would be when accn is varying with displacement and velocity. Do you know what module that falls into?

Do you have an example question so it's clear what you're talking about? Also, is this maths or further maths?
Hi

Thanks for the reply.

As in, acceleration is expressed in terms of velocity and displacement?

That would be considered to be 2nd-order ODE's.

I.e. d2xdt2=5dxdt9x\dfrac{d^2 x }{dt^2} = 5\dfrac{dx}{dt} -9x or something.
@Notnek and @RDKGames

capture.jpg

This is an example from the online textbook version. Just 1 question from it since I'm not allowed to put it up.
Reply 6

Sorry I didn't read the thread title - this is further maths. This is actually M3 and not M2. Have a look through here and see if any of the questions are similar to the ones you were given:

http://pmt.physicsandmathstutor.com/download/Maths/A-level/M3/Topic-Qs/Edexcel-Set-1/M3%20Kinematics%20-%20Problems%20with%20calculus.pdf
@Notnek and @RDKGames

This is an example from the online textbook version. Just 1 question from it since I'm not allowed to put it up.

Yes then it's 2nd order ODE's generally, but in that particular example it's just 1st order ODE for the velocity.

Though I don't have any resources for it. Try the M2, M3 and M4 modules as they might have these questions (which are probably harder)
Original post by Notnek
Sorry I didn't read the thread title - this is further maths. This is actually M3 and not M2. Have a look through here and see if any of the questions are similar to the ones you were given:

http://pmt.physicsandmathstutor.com/download/Maths/A-level/M3/Topic-Qs/Edexcel-Set-1/M3%20Kinematics%20-%20Problems%20with%20calculus.pdf

Thanks for the quick reply.

This also has accn varying with time, but not velocity or displacement, although it includes forces.

Neither does M4 have any too. M4 is mainly the same thing but using harder integrals.

Any where else I could look? It's possibly the hardest topic in AS FM.
Thanks for the quick reply.

This also has accn varying with time, but not velocity or displacement, although it includes forces.

Neither does M4 have any too. M4 is mainly the same thing but using harder integrals.

Any where else I could look? It's possibly the hardest topic in AS FM.

Acceleration is always going to vary with time, but may not always have time as a variable explicitly!

I.e. if you say that a(v)=5va(v) = 5 - v then what you're really saying is that a(t)=5v(t)a(t) = 5 - v(t), but it need not be used.

Q8 in that booklet for example includes time, yes, but the expressions are not explicitly dependent on time so I don't see the issue here.

Anyway, try these: https://madasmaths.com/archive/maths_booklets/mechanics/m3_m4_kinematics_dynamics_easier_odes.pdf

I assume that you mean this bit of the AS FM:
The setting up and solution of equations where dv/dt = f(t) or dv/dt = f(v) or dx/dt = f(t) will be consistent with the level of calculus required in A level Mathematics.

The first and third are in M2. The middle one is part of M3 and requires you to separate the variables. This assumes A level Maths Pure.
Reply 11
Original post by tiny hobbit
I assume that you mean this bit of the AS FM:
The setting up and solution of equations where dv/dt = f(t) or dv/dt = f(v) or dx/dt = f(t) will be consistent with the level of calculus required in A level Mathematics.

The first and third are in M2. The middle one is part of M3 and requires you to separate the variables. This assumes A level Maths Pure.

I'm not too familiar yet with new spec AS Edexcel further mechanics. Would you say that the types of questions in M2/3 will be similar to new spec questions? I had a look and it seemed like there is more to the old spec questions with more assumed knowledge e.g. calculus and more mechanics.
Original post by Notnek
I'm not too familiar yet with new spec AS Edexcel further mechanics. Would you say that the types of questions in M2/3 will be similar to new spec questions? I had a look and it seemed like there is more to the old spec questions with more assumed knowledge e.g. calculus and more mechanics.

I don't know. I think that doing FM Mechanics 2 in the first year is a big undertaking.

Quick Reply

Latest