The Student Room Group

Police called

Hi

I am so confused right now.

I had a withheld call from a police officer who said he was contacting me over a previous tenant. I’m not sure how he got my number. It turns out that the tenant is getting letters at their address for a credit card they said they didn’t take out but is registered to my (now) address. When I moved in, I kept getting debt collection letters for this tenant about unpaid and overdue parking fines and electricity bills and even parcels months and months after they moved out. I’ve sent them return to sender and ignored the more recent letters as I am still getting them.

The policeman said he was making enquiries as I live in a flat and wasn’t sure how the post system worked there. I said I have received some mail but have returned it to the sender. He said that’s fine.

Do I have anything to be concerned about? I’m worried they might turn up and my door!

Thanks
Reply 1
You have nothing to worry about. It's just a general line of enquiry the police needed to follow up on.
Reply 2
Original post by ryanpro
You have nothing to worry about. It's just a general line of enquiry the police needed to follow up on.

Thanks. How do they know my number? I know it’s a silly question but I have no idea.
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous
Thanks. How do they know my number? I know it’s a silly question but I have no idea.

We know everything :wink:

Was it a landline or a mobile? Landlines are easy to get hold of. If it was a mobile, the officer would have found it out through other enquiries. Bit of an odd way to go about it, I'd have just visited the address... but I'm old fashioned I guess!

Sounds like they're just making sure nothing fraudulent is happening with the credit cards. It happens a lot.
Are you sure it was a police officer?

Did they ask you for any personal information?
Reply 5
Original post by ryanpro
We know everything :wink:

Was it a landline or a mobile? Landlines are easy to get hold of. If it was a mobile, the officer would have found it out through other enquiries. Bit of an odd way to go about it, I'd have just visited the address... but I'm old fashioned I guess!

Sounds like they're just making sure nothing fraudulent is happening with the credit cards. It happens a lot.

It was my mobile! I found it odd as they called me 4 times within 10 minutes. It was from a withheld number hence why i ignored it at first! Oh right. I did ask whether that was it and would they call me again as I tend not to answer withheld numbers. They said no not from them. I’ve not had any contact with police before so I was quite worried! Thanks 🙂
Reply 6
It was my mobile! I found it odd as they called me 4 times within 10 minutes. It was from a withheld number hence why i ignored it at first! Oh right. I did ask whether that was it and would they call me again as I tend not to answer withheld numbers. They said no not from them. I’ve not had any contact with police before so I was quite worried! Thanks 🙂

As long as the call was legitimate, there is nothing to worry about. Our calls are almost always from withheld numbers. Did the officer give you any details; what station or force area he was calling from, collar (badge) number, crime reference or log number?

If you want to follow up and ask them any questions, you can go in and ask or call on 101.
Reply 7
Original post by ryanpro
As long as the call was legitimate, there is nothing to worry about. Our calls are almost always from withheld numbers. Did the officer give you any details; what station or force area he was calling from, collar (badge) number, crime reference or log number?

If you want to follow up and ask them any questions, you can go in and ask or call on 101.

Yeah he said his name and I *think* the force. I was quite bamboozled so can’t really remember! It did seem legitimate though and I didn’t give anyway any information about me so...
Reply 8
Plus I’d still like to know where they found my number.

Probably off an advert from the inside of a phone booth :ahee:
Reply 10

If the enquiries related to a possible crime, in this case probably fraud, it wouldn't be too difficult to get hold of your number. Enquiries could have been with anyone that has your name or you are linked too, for example a housing association or a landlord.
Original post by ryanpro
If the enquiries related to a possible crime, in this case probably fraud, it wouldn't be too difficult to get hold of your number. Enquiries could have been with anyone that has your name or you are linked too, for example a housing association or a landlord.

Thank you! Hope they don’t contact me again.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending