The Student Room Group

Low Iron

I'm so sick of feeling sh*t all of the time. I struggle to breathe sometimes, I am tired 24/7, barely have any energy, I have heard palpitations, I sometimes get low moods but that's got better due to being around really positive people but in terms of physical health it is really bad.

My doctors have not helped and told me over the phone and told me to go to the pharmacy to explain and get something for it but I didn't because I knew it would be low doses without a prescription, I have been on iron tablets before but my iron just dropped again after coming off them, I think I may struggle with this for a very long time, a lot of iron rich foods I can't stand, I'm not a huge meat eater and I don't want to deal with this problem for my whole life.

It kind of annoys me that there isn't awareness or more research into helping people like me. Some people are ignorant just because it's not a visible illness.

What do I do? I feel like crying from how sleep deprived I am too because I really struggle to get to sleep early and I'm waking up early for college and even when I do get 6 or even sometimes 9 hours sleep it makes no difference to my life, I now sleep about 3 hours and no matter what I'm tired, long or short sleeps both equal the same thing, tiredness.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
I'm so sick of feeling sh*t all of the time. I struggle to breathe sometimes, I am tired 24/7, barely have any energy, I have heard palpitations, I sometimes get low moods but that's got better due to being around really positive people but in terms of physical health it is really bad.

My doctors have not helped and told me over the phone and told me to go to the pharmacy to explain and get something for it but I didn't because I knew it would be low doses without a prescription, I have been on iron tablets before but my iron just dropped again after coming off them, I think I may struggle with this for a very long time, a lot of iron rich foods I can't stand, I'm not a huge meat eater and I don't want to deal with this problem for my whole life.

It kind of annoys me that there isn't awareness or more research into helping people like me. Some people are ignorant just because it's not a visible illness.

What do I do? I feel like crying from how sleep deprived I am too because I really struggle to get to sleep early and I'm waking up early for college and even when I do get 6 or even sometimes 9 hours sleep it makes no difference to my life, I now sleep about 3 hours and no matter what I'm tired, long or short sleeps both equal the same thing, tiredness.

You can go back to the dr and demand a blood test. How old are you? It may help to bring along a pushy parent.
Have a side of spinach along side each meal and have an orange.
Reply 3
Original post by DrawTheLine
You can go back to the dr and demand a blood test. How old are you? It may help to bring along a pushy parent.

I'm 19
You seem to be suffering from chronic fatigue syndrome with systemic involvement.

You should go see a general medical practitioner. I know you said you've struggled to do that, but try calling early in the morning and they will book you in.
I'm 19

Still bring a pushy parent, it does help if you don't want to be pushy yourself.
Reply 6
Original post by The Relic
Have a side of spinach along side each meal and have an orange.

Can't stand either of those, that's part of the problem, I don't eat food with iron in because I hate it
Can't stand either of those, that's part of the problem, I don't eat food with iron in because I hate it

Come on, you can't even taste fresh baby spinach.
Just have it with your meals and you will feel great.

Have strawberries (just have vitamin c after you eat the spinach)
Reply 8
Original post by TheRealAdam1
You seem to be suffering from chronic fatigue syndrome with systemic involvement.

You should go see a general medical practitioner. I know you said you've struggled to do that, but try calling early in the morning and they will book you in.

What's " chronic fatigue syndrome with systemic involvement" ?
Reply 9
Still bring a pushy parent, it does help if you don't want to be pushy yourself.

Well I'll make an appointment and I'll try my best to remember to tell them literally everything, my memory is bad so I end up forgetting things, I'll also make sure I get a face to face appointment about my results too and if they don't help me I'll bring a parent in
Well I'll make an appointment and I'll try my best to remember to tell them literally everything, my memory is bad so I end up forgetting things, I'll also make sure I get a face to face appointment about my results too and if they don't help me I'll bring a parent in

You should write a list of everything and take it with you.
Come on, you can't even taste fresh baby spinach.
Just have it with your meals and you will feel great.

Have strawberries (just have vitamin c after you eat the spinach)

I already eat strawberries
Spinach

Get those spinach and egg pots from Sainsbury's.
You should write a list of everything and take it with you.

Yeah that's probably the best thing for me to do
I already eat strawberries

So eat a bowl of spinach with your meals and then have strawberries.

DEAL :smile:
So eat a bowl of spinach with your meals and then have strawberries.

DEAL :smile:

Does it actually help?
What's " chronic fatigue syndrome with systemic involvement" ?

Chronic fatigue syndrome is a condition with all the symptoms you have described.

Systemic involvement means you may have an underlying condition that may be causing your chronic fatigue , or making it worse.

e.g anaemia.
Original post by TheRealAdam1
Chronic fatigue syndrome is a condition with all the symptoms you have described.

Systemic involvement means you may have an underlying condition that may be causing your chronic fatigue , or making it worse.

e.g anaemia.

Would that cause tiredness all of the time too?
Would that cause tiredness all of the time too?

Yes, that is precisely what it does. Are you female? The condition tends to be predominate with females.
OMGG this is so relatable I’m 19 and anemic the same thing happened to me I’m still struggling with this it caused me to fail exams teachers always down played my fatigue issues and said it’s not that bad and laughed it off .. anyway I’m eating lots of spinach and half an hour later I drink orange juice I like to squeeze it myself. What iron tablets were you on I was taking ferrous fumerate but went off them and symptoms Came back. I understand your struggle completely I feel absolutely depleted every singe day even tho I don’t do much.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending