The Student Room Group

Steps to becoming a neonatologist

I'm currently in year 10 and am wondering about the steps of becoming a neonatal doctor, I understand after university you do your F1 and F2 training but what happens after? Can you pick neonatology as a speciality or is it just paediatrics as a whole? If so, does that mean you focus on children rather than neonates or focus on them both equally. Sorry about the essay, just confused on what happens after foundation year.
Original post by jamescxx
I'm currently in year 10 and am wondering about the steps of becoming a neonatal doctor, I understand after university you do your F1 and F2 training but what happens after? Can you pick neonatology as a speciality or is it just paediatrics as a whole? If so, does that mean you focus on children rather than neonates or focus on them both equally. Sorry about the essay, just confused on what happens after foundation year.

It's a sub-specialty in paediatrics - I believe you apply for places in ~ST4. Which is around 7 years after graduating from medical school

But for now, focus on GCSEs, that event is years away
That is a loooong way away. Get into med school first. You might not even like stabbing babies all day.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending