The Student Room Group

Bulgarian Universities for Vet Med: Trakia University or Sofia?

Hi there!

I'm Irish, currently taking a gap year but I'm planning on studying Veterinary
Medicine in Bulgaria next year but I cant decide between two Universities.

Is anyone currently studying in either Trakia University or the University of Forestry Sofia? Sofia would be more ideal as there is a direct flight from Dublin to Sofia so
traveling would be easier but if Trakia is the better university I wouldnt mind making the extra effort.

Please get back to me, im desperate lol :biggrin:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by emmalilllay
Hi there!

I'm Irish, currently taking a gap year but I'm planning on studying Veterinary
Medicine in Bulgaria next year but I cant decide between two Universities.

Is anyone currently studying in either Trakia University or the University of Forestry Sofia? Sofia would be more ideal as there is a direct flight from Dublin to Sofia so
traveling would be easier but if Trakia is the better university I wouldnt mind making the extra effort.

Please get back to me, im desperate lol :biggrin:

Hi Emma, I will probably be attending trakia for vet med from September. I will let you know how it is. When are you planning on starting?

Anke.
Reply 2
My daughter is also interested in studying veterinary in Trakia , I would love to hear what your experience is like of the college
Original post by Anke vds
Hi Emma, I will probably be attending trakia for vet med from September. I will let you know how it is. When are you planning on starting?

Anke.

Hi Anke

Are you at the university now? I’m hoping to go in October :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by MaryT1
My daughter is also interested in studying veterinary in Trakia , I would love to hear what your experience is like of the college

Hi, I’ve almost finished my first year of veterinary medicine at Trakia University and I’d be happy to ask any questions you have :smile:
Hi I'm also interested in Trakia. Was thinking of Brno and Wroclaw as well but they're double the cost. Would you recommend the university? What are the teachers like? What about the city? And life in Stara Zagora? What's your time table like in the first year?
Reply 6
Original post by M12S
Hi I'm also interested in Trakia. Was thinking of Brno and Wroclaw as well but they're double the cost. Would you recommend the university? What are the teachers like? What about the city? And life in Stara Zagora? What's your time table like in the first year?

Hello there, I'd be happy to answer questions you have about the uni and Stara Zagora. Personally yes, I would recommend the university for a number of factors. The university itself on the inside is not the most modern, but it has good facilities as well as good anatomy classes with real preparations starting from second semester, first year. The University fees are also not too expensive and your fee cost will stay the same for your whole stay, even if they increase the price for new students. Also, the student supervisors are very helpful, and help you get a Bulgarian ID along with health insurance paid for by the University if you're under the age of 25/26.

The professors are as a whole good teachers. Some professors can be lazy, but out of my two semesters I've only had about 1/2 'lazy' professors (in the sense they don't teach a whole load and finish classes super early) and the rest have been very good teachers and answer any questions you have in person and by email. If you make the effort to learn they will see that and will be happy to talk to you after class and in their offices at any time. They will also check your essays for exams and prepare you best they can. As this is Bulgaria, its best to keep in mind not all professors will speak perfect English. I've had about one professor who's English was not the best, but still understandable. Most professors however have very good English for non-native speakers.

The city itself is nice, usually quiet as it is a small city in Bulgaria but there are still things to do. There is a cinema, many bars and pubs, some events in the parks and two large shopping malls. The town also has a good bus system, costing 1 lev per journey. These buses can take you almost anywhere in the town including to Uni. Taxis are also very cheap. The people are usually very friendly with only a short few not being fully warming due to your English speaking (but this is quite rare). Almost everyone tries to help you, even if they don't speak English. Overall the town is quiet but it is a nice place to live and I don't feel unwelcome here. Apartments are also good prices and the bills here are so cheap (as long as you don't over-use electricity and water, for example my bills this month were 16 leva for electricity, and 3 leva for water!).

Timetable in first year is ok, of course it is longer days than school as the lessons are much longer (ranging from 2-4 hours depending on if its a practical lesson or a lecture). Some days you start at 8/9, and you can finish anywhere from 2/3/4/5 depending on the day and your professor. If the class starts too early you can arrange with the professor to start later without breaks for example to shorten the day. Some courses also finish sooner than other, so closer to the end of the year you will have more free periods as different classes finish for the semester. You also sometimes have breaks during the day ranging from 1-3 hours, so you can go to the computer room to complete essays or work or go home and come back later in the day.

Sorry for the essay of a reply! I just thought you could use all the info I could give as I didn't have any when I first joined. Let me know if you have anymore questions. :smile:
Original post by aerobatt

Hi

Sorry, I'm a bit late to the thread. Have you found the facilities are still quite modern although not as good as UK unis? I am really interested in studying here but i keep thinking the low fees reflect the facilities and teaching, have you found this?

Thanks
Reply 8

Hi

Sorry, I'm a bit late to the thread. Have you found the facilities are still quite modern although not as good as UK unis? I am really interested in studying here but i keep thinking the low fees reflect the facilities and teaching, have you found this?

Thanks

The facilities are good, I’m sure they aren’t as modern as the ones used in the UK unis (I’ve never been to visit one!) however the stuff that we have here do get the job done, for example for chemistry we have everything you would usually have, and for anatomy we have real life preparations and we purchase our own tools to use and dissect with. Is there anything in particular you’re worried about facilities wise? As there are a few subjects, maybe if you have one in mind I can help a bit more. :smile:
Great thank you so much! I am thinking about the revision aids such as library and online system do they have these to a good standard? And anatomy as you have already said things like that? Have you found the class rooms good as well? Thank you
Original post by Alicia_98
Great thank you so much! I am thinking about the revision aids such as library and online system do they have these to a good standard? And anatomy as you have already said things like that? Have you found the class rooms good as well? Thank you

We do have a library but to be honest it’s not very useful, it’s quite run down so hardly anyone uses it, however all books that we need are recommended to us by our lecturers and we purchase them from the stores to make our own notes in them as such. You can visit the library if needed but hardly anyone goes there to be honest! We do have an online system where we can find lectures, practical sheets and stuff like that which is very useful, we don’t usually need to use it however because the teacher usually hands us the lecture and puts it on our usbs after class. Yeah anatomy is good as we have real specimens to work with so it’s good. The class rooms are usually good as well and fit all our group inside, most of them have aircon machines as it gets quite hot here as well so that’s good. There is only a handful of classrooms that can be small but that’s quite rare :smile:
Hi, I’ve almost finished my first year of veterinary medicine at Trakia University and I’d be happy to ask any questions you have :smile:

Hi I was just wondering how you went about applying. Did you apply through the university itself or use an agency. Thank you
Hey guys, thought I'd jump on this. Had no idea that this university even existed. The fee's seem quite appealing ! Can you tell me a little bit more about your class mates, many Uk citizens? Why did you chose to study in Bulgaria as opposed to another EU university?

Would love to have a good chat with you about the university and your thoughts, can I PM you?

(Original post by aerobatt)We do have a library but to be honest it’s not very useful, it’s quite run down so hardly anyone uses it, however all books that we need are recommended to us by our lecturers and we purchase them from the stores to make our own notes in them as such. You can visit the library if needed but hardly anyone goes there to be honest! We do have an online system where we can find lectures, practical sheets and stuff like that which is very useful, we don’t usually need to use it however because the teacher usually hands us the lecture and puts it on our usbs after class. Yeah anatomy is good as we have real specimens to work with so it’s good. The class rooms are usually good as well and fit all our group inside, most of them have aircon machines as it gets quite hot here as well so that’s good. There is only a handful of classrooms that can be small but that’s quite rare :smile:
Original post by vetmed12345
Hi I was just wondering how you went about applying. Did you apply through the university itself or use an agency. Thank you

Hello, I applied to uni through inter hecs as they translated and legalised all my documents for me so it was easy for me to apply. It’s possible to apply without an agency but personally for me it was for the ease of applying :smile:

Original post by Baselevel
Hey guys, thought I'd jump on this. Had no idea that this university even existed. The fee's seem quite appealing ! Can you tell me a little bit more about your class mates, many Uk citizens? Why did you chose to study in Bulgaria as opposed to another EU university?

Would love to have a good chat with you about the university and your thoughts, can I PM you?

(Original post by aerobatt)We do have a library but to be honest it’s not very useful, it’s quite run down so hardly anyone uses it, however all books that we need are recommended to us by our lecturers and we purchase them from the stores to make our own notes in them as such. You can visit the library if needed but hardly anyone goes there to be honest! We do have an online system where we can find lectures, practical sheets and stuff like that which is very useful, we don’t usually need to use it however because the teacher usually hands us the lecture and puts it on our usbs after class. Yeah anatomy is good as we have real specimens to work with so it’s good. The class rooms are usually good as well and fit all our group inside, most of them have aircon machines as it gets quite hot here as well so that’s good. There is only a handful of classrooms that can be small but that’s quite rare :smile:

Hello there! In my year group there are a few English students yes. Probably around 5/6 people are English and 4 people are Irish. I think the year below me may have a few more English students as it is becoming more popular. To be honest, the fees were a big selling point to me as the currency (leva) is very cheap for pounds which benifits my situation a lot. However I did research into the unis at Bulgaria and thought Trakia was the best for me, as I have heard about corruption in Sofia, and the prices of living there are much higher than in the town of Stara Zagora. I’d be more than happy to chat so please feel free to drop a dm and I will try and help in any way I can :smile:
Hi. I would liberty know about your experiences. How did you fit in etc? Mixture of students? And quality of course. Thanks
Hello there, I'd be happy to answer questions you have about the uni and Stara Zagora. Personally yes, I would recommend the university for a number of factors. The university itself on the inside is not the most modern, but it has good facilities as well as good anatomy classes with real preparations starting from second semester, first year. The University fees are also not too expensive and your fee cost will stay the same for your whole stay, even if they increase the price for new students. Also, the student supervisors are very helpful, and help you get a Bulgarian ID along with health insurance paid for by the University if you're under the age of 25/26.

The professors are as a whole good teachers. Some professors can be lazy, but out of my two semesters I've only had about 1/2 'lazy' professors (in the sense they don't teach a whole load and finish classes super early) and the rest have been very good teachers and answer any questions you have in person and by email. If you make the effort to learn they will see that and will be happy to talk to you after class and in their offices at any time. They will also check your essays for exams and prepare you best they can. As this is Bulgaria, its best to keep in mind not all professors will speak perfect English. I've had about one professor who's English was not the best, but still understandable. Most professors however have very good English for non-native speakers.

The city itself is nice, usually quiet as it is a small city in Bulgaria but there are still things to do. There is a cinema, many bars and pubs, some events in the parks and two large shopping malls. The town also has a good bus system, costing 1 lev per journey. These buses can take you almost anywhere in the town including to Uni. Taxis are also very cheap. The people are usually very friendly with only a short few not being fully warming due to your English speaking (but this is quite rare). Almost everyone tries to help you, even if they don't speak English. Overall the town is quiet but it is a nice place to live and I don't feel unwelcome here. Apartments are also good prices and the bills here are so cheap (as long as you don't over-use electricity and water, for example my bills this month were 16 leva for electricity, and 3 leva for water!).

Timetable in first year is ok, of course it is longer days than school as the lessons are much longer (ranging from 2-4 hours depending on if its a practical lesson or a lecture). Some days you start at 8/9, and you can finish anywhere from 2/3/4/5 depending on the day and your professor. If the class starts too early you can arrange with the professor to start later without breaks for example to shorten the day. Some courses also finish sooner than other, so closer to the end of the year you will have more free periods as different classes finish for the semester. You also sometimes have breaks during the day ranging from 1-3 hours, so you can go to the computer room to complete essays or work or go home and come back later in the day.

Sorry for the essay of a reply! I just thought you could use all the info I could give as I didn't have any when I first joined. Let me know if you have anymore questions. :smile:

Hey!!
I have applied to Trakia university and they emailled me around 3 weeks ago saying they think my documents are OK and have been sent to the Ministry of Science for VISA confirmation letter

How long did it take for you to get your letter? (letter of acceptance) after applying?
My daughter has applied to study vet Med at tralla bit today she got her alevel results and it is ABB. but she got a 4.7 for the entrance test. Would that be enough to get in?
Hi. I got a 4.7 for my entrance test and ABB for alevel. Is that enough to study vet Med at Trakkia?
Hello All

I am coming this Sep to Trakia for Veterinary.

Students who are already in Trakia
Please suggest - Stay single is a flat or share the flat with another student? How do you all get a roommate?
How safe is the city?

Thanks
Reply 19
Original post by Anonymous
Hello All

I am coming this Sep to Trakia for Veterinary.

Students who are already in Trakia
Please suggest - Stay single is a flat or share the flat with another student? How do you all get a roommate?
How safe is the city?

Thanks

I would recommend to live alone for the first semester or at least the first year. Then you can choose to move in with someone the following years. The city is really safe so there shouldn’t be an issue in terms of safety. If you have questions, feel free to message me.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending