The Student Room Group

Prediction for 2018 GCSE's 9-1?

what do u think will be on question 5 on English Language paper 1
and 2? Also is anyone doing the new edexcel combined science 9-1?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'm doing Edexcel Combined Science :smile: What do you think the boundaries will be like?
Reply 2
Original post by Loci Pi
I'm doing Edexcel Combined Science :smile: What do you think the boundaries will be like?

i don't know- did you do a mock paper in year 10 which was marked by
edexcel. Also did u receive a percentage score?:smile:
Original post by fm123456
what do u think will be on question 5 on English Language paper 1
and 2? Also is anyone doing the new edexcel combined science 9-1?

If you are looking for predictions for the English paper One, you should look at checking out Mr Bruff on YouTube. However, don't just prepare for a prediction as that is chance, and I wouldn't suggest taking chances.
Reply 4
The average mark was like 12 marks on each 3 papers- but that was in year 10 where a lot of people like myself didn't cover the first section of unit
1 of physics, chm and bio. So this year because everyone will have finished the course , i think the average mark would be 28 which is equivalent to a grade 5. Have you finished the course. And when is your first exam. Mine is on may the 15th.
Reply 5
i don't know- did you do a mock paper in year 10 which was marked by
edexcel. Also did u receive a percentage score?:smile:

Yeah I did those papers. I didn't get a percentage score back but I was given my percentile score where I did compared to the rest of candidates. Also my teacher gave us a topic list from that exam that's highlighted based on which topics we did best on.
Reply 6
Original post by Loci Pi
Yeah I did those papers. I didn't get a percentage score back but I was given my percentile score where I did compared to the rest of candidates. Also my teacher gave us a topic list from that exam that's highlighted based on which topics we did best on.

Yeah i did as well
what was your percentile? Mine was 70 and my friend got 92.
Reply 7
The average mark was like 12 marks on each 3 papers- but that was in year 10 where a lot of people like myself didn't cover the first section of unit
1 of physics, chm and bio. So this year because everyone will have finished the course , i think the average mark would be 28 which is equivalent to a grade 5. Have you finished the course. And when is your first exam. Mine is on may the 15th.

My first exam is computing on the 14th of May.

For science, I usually get around 48/60. My teacher says it is an strong 8, but I don't know whether to believe her because it seems so low for an 8.
Reply 8
Yeah i did as well
what was your percentile? Mine was 70 and my friend got 92.

I wasn't given an exact percentile, but I got told top 5% for all sciences. I did best in Chemistry and worst in Physics, which surprised me because I normally do best in Physics and worst in Chemistry lol.
Reply 9
Original post by Loci Pi
My first exam is computing on the 14th of May.

For science, I usually get around 48/60. My teacher says it is an strong 8, but I don't know whether to believe her because it seems so low for an 8.

oh my god!! Same. Literally i got 48/60 42/60 in bio and 37/60 in physics and altogether it was an 7-. I think it should have been higher. I hope the highest mark in the country is like 40 on every paper . So 120/180 marks is a 9.
Reply 10
Original post by Loci Pi
I wasn't given an exact percentile, but I got told top 5% for all sciences. I did best in Chemistry and worst in Physics, which surprised me because I normally do best in Physics and worst in Chemistry lol.

Wow that is so good!!! That means you must be guaranteed like a 9 in the summer. Have you finished the course. Plus i do like the maths equations in physics-there so easy . I have transformers to finish and that is it.
oh my god!! Same. Literally i got 48/60 42/60 in bio and 37/60 in physics and altogether it was an 7-. I think it should have been higher. I hope the highest mark in the country is like 40 on every paper . So 120/180 marks is a 9.

I hope the boundaries are quite low for the first year. I'm aiming for an 8, but I need a 7 to study Physics at sixth form.
Reply 12
True -but for alevels i'm going to study bio, chem and maths. And im predicted by the school to get a 9- which is more likely to turn out as a 7.
Wow that is so good!!! That means you must be guaranteed like a 9 in the summer. Have you finished the course. Plus i do like the maths equations in physics-there so easy . I have transformers to finish and that is it.

I don't think I'll get a 9, but I'm still trying :smile: I like the physics equations too. I've finished the course in Biology and Physics, but my Chemistry teacher always waffles on and goes off on an unrelated tangent nearly every lesson, so we're nowhere near finishing the Chemistry syllabus. We aren't even half way through the Chemistry paper 2 topics and have 1 lesson left until the exam, so I'm trying to self teach it with Seneca Leaning and textbooks. I'm quite concerned for Paper 2 though, on my last Chemistry paper 2 I only got 24/60.
True -but for alevels i'm going to study bio, chem and maths. And im predicted by the school to get a 9- which is more likely to turn out as a 7.

You'll probably get higher than a 7, the boundaries are likely to be low because it's the first year. At sixth form, I'm studying Maths, Further Maths, Physics, and Psychology :smile:
Reply 15
Original post by Loci Pi
I don't think I'll get a 9, but I'm still trying :smile: I like the physics equations too. I've finished the course in Biology and Physics, but my Chemistry teacher always waffles on and goes off on an unrelated tangent nearly every lesson, so we're nowhere near finishing the Chemistry syllabus. We aren't even half way through the Chemistry paper 2 topics and have 1 lesson left until the exam, so I'm trying to self teach it with Seneca Leaning and textbooks. I'm quite concerned for Paper 2 though, on my last Chemistry paper 2 I only got 24/60.

I think u should buy the cgp edexcel 9-1 book-it is so helpful-u don't even understand. It has everything. My teacher also waffles on saying where wasting time - but its like saying love your wasting 10 minutes
everyday of our learning and ur expecting us to get like 7s? She sees me as an inferior for some reason-the whole science department to be honest.
Reply 16
Original post by Loci Pi
You'll probably get higher than a 7, the boundaries are likely to be low because it's the first year. At sixth form, I'm studying Maths, Further Maths, Physics, and Psychology :smile:

Thanks - yeah i was about to choose psychology but like i rather get 3 A's . Also less pressure. Btw where are you from the uk. I'm from north england.
I think u should buy the cgp edexcel 9-1 book-it is so helpful-u don't even understand. It has everything. My teacher also waffles on saying where wasting time - but its like saying love your wasting 10 minutes
everyday of our learning and ur expecting us to get like 7s? She sees me as an inferior for some reason-the whole science department to be honest.

I already have the CGP book, it's really useful. The thing is, some people in our class were going to complain to our teacher, but she's so nice. She's been teaching our class since year 8 and she says we're her favorite class so we don't want to say anything in case it hurts her feelings.
Reply 18
true- but if she can't teach then she has to go.
Thanks - yeah i was about to choose psychology but like i rather get 3 A's . Also less pressure. Btw where are you from the uk. I'm from north england.

I'm from Essex. I would prefer to take 3 A-Levels but my Sixth form makes us take 4.

Quick Reply

Latest