The Student Room Group

Higher Computing Science 2017-18

Hey Everyone, thought I'd make a new thread for help with this years SQA Higher Computing Exam and Assignment.

Is it just me, or has anyone else just started the assignment with their school? :K:
(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

If AS, then we just finished one...
Reply 2
By higher do you mean A levels?
No, SQA Highers. I don't know about other exam boards, sorry :/
Original post by Freya Jackson
Hey Everyone, thought I'd make a new thread for help with this years SQA Higher Computing Exam and Assignment.

Is it just me, or has anyone else just started the assignment with their school? :K:

To me thats pretty late to start the assignment. When I did my Higher, we started it in November/ December time. February/ March was to tidy up our reports etc. I know the new N5 assignment has been released not too long ago, however as far as I know, the Higher hasn't changed.
Original post by Freya Jackson

We started ours in late February, that’s me just about done mine now. What one is it you’re doing?
we finished ours like a week or so ago lol
We finished ours a while ago and are now just tidying up the report.
Reply 8
Just found out i got 55/60 what did you guys get
Original post by Jtrayn

Ours haven’t been marked yet - that’s a great result! Well done.
Reply 10
Original post by bwilliamson
Ours haven’t been marked yet - that’s a great result! Well done.

Thanks man good luck for yours
How are you guys feeling about the exam? Everyone in my school thought last year’s was exceptionally hard compared to previous papers, hopefully our exam will be not too bad.
My teacher is the worst, how are you guys learning the theory?? I really need some help!!
Original post by pizzalover101
My teacher is the worst, how are you guys learning the theory?? I really need some help!!
The "how to pass higher computing" textbook is very useful. Contains almost everything you need to know, as well as exam hint and tips. Additionaly, "scholar" has some very good notes on every topic and provides online revision sessions which you can attend or playback.
Original post by Jtrayn

Well done! I got 57/60
Original post by whatreally
Hey folks Whats the difference between index and counter when used in algorithms?

Can anyone here help?
Reply 16
Original post by Labrador99
Can anyone here help?
An index is a point in an array so the first index would be 0 and a counter is the thing used in a FOR loop to iterate through the array, so say the counter = 3 that means that if you look at array(counter), your looking at the 4th element(since array indexs start at 0) hope that made sense
Original post by Jtrayn
An index is a point in an array so the first index would be 0 and a counter is the thing used in a FOR loop to iterate through the array, so say the counter = 3 that means that if you look at array(counter), your looking at the 4th element(since array indexs start at 0) hope that made sense

@whatreally Answer to your question above ^^^

Thanks @Jtrayn :smile:
Reply 18
When doing your program for the coursework what program did you write it on? My school uses Visual Basics 6 and i was wondering if anyone else did too?
Original post by emma_24
I have to learn python now because we got new computers and I have no clue how I'm going to manage without VB 6 😭😂

Look on the bright side! VB6 is over 20 years old, and Microsoft stopped supporting it a long time ago when they replaced it with VB.NET, so you get to do something new and modern which may be helpful when you're out looking for a job :smile:

You don't need to use an old IDE that was made for the last millenium, you can use something shiny and new like PyCharm (free student licence or free community edition) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5rSBPGGLkW0

Computational thinking is the same in any language - if/else, switch and loops do the same thing just with different syntax - you don't need to re-learn problem solving

Fewer keywords - No more "Dim" or "Sub" or "Begin"/"End".

No more data types - a variable is just a variable and Python takes care of the rest - no need to care whether it's an Integer, String or Boolean

Have a look here - Python for VB Programmers - https://github.com/raspberrypilearning/python-for-vb-programmers/blob/master/worksheet.md

If you want some quick breeze-through lessons on Python syntax, try this too: https://www.codecademy.com/learn/learn-python

And try this e-book for learning how to do a lot of cool things with Python: https://automatetheboringstuff.com/

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending