The Student Room Group

Anyone doing A levels with WJEC? Revision tips?

Wondering if many people were doing AS/A levels with WJEC this year and if anyone has any tips to get the most out of revision at this point in the year?:smile:
(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TR15
Wondering if many people were doing AS/A levels with WJEC this year and if anyone has any tips to get the most out of revision at this point in the year!:smile:

Yep, right here!

Are you doing AS or A-Levels, and what A-Levels are you doing? :smile:

Keep smashing the past papers would be my tip. Past papers are the only way to learn from mistakes and see how much you know.
Reply 2
Original post by RoyalSheepy
Yep, right here!

Are you doing AS or A-Levels, and what A-Levels are you doing? :smile:

Keep smashing the past papers would be my tip. Past papers are the only way to learn from mistakes and see how much you know.

Hey there! I'm doing AS with WJEC. I do History, Religious Studies and Media Studies. Since we're one of the first years do do the new course there aren't a whole lot of past papers to be completing, so Im smashing those possible exam question essays. Are you doing AS or A-level? What A levels do you do? How are you finding everything?? :smile: :smile: :smile:
Original post by TR15
Hey there! I'm doing AS with WJEC. I do History, Religious Studies and Media Studies. Since we're one of the first years do do the new course there aren't a whole lot of past papers to be completing, so Im smashing those possible exam question essays. Are you doing AS or A-level? What A levels do you do? How are you finding everything?? :smile: :smile: :smile:

Hey, I’m doing AS with WJEC too. Studying religious studies, English language & literature, business studies and Welsh Bacc. How are you revising for religious studies? Especially now the exams are creeping up. I use quizlet to learn my key terms- I could link you to the sets if they’d help?
Reply 4
Original post by TR15
Wondering if many people were doing AS/A levels with WJEC this year and if anyone has any tips to get the most out of revision at this point in the year?:smile:

No, all mine are Edexcel and OCR :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by Gradebaker
Hey, I’m doing AS with WJEC too. Studying religious studies, English language & literature, business studies and Welsh Bacc. How are you revising for religious studies? Especially now the exams are creeping up. I use quizlet to learn my key terms- I could link you to the sets if they’d help?

That would be amazing!! Thank you!

Are your exams on May 17th & 25th? If so, which religion are you doing for the exam on May 17th? Any other tips?

I am revising it section by section, firstly summarising each section on a few sheets of A4. Then from that summary, creating a mind map further summarising it. Then, from that mind map, creating flash cards, which further summarises it. Then, write an exam question expanding from the key points on the flash cards until I'm able to write it all off by heart. This is the way I revise for all of my subjects and it takes me only a few hours per section.

How do you revise it?? :smile:
Original post by TR15

Hey,

Sorry I didn't see your reply until now.

Yeah, we're basically guinea pigs for these new exams :laugh: I'm doing Maths, Chemistry and Biology

The old exams looked so much easier than the ones we're going to sit :laugh:
Original post by TR15
That would be amazing!! Thank you!

Are your exams on May 17th & 25th? If so, which religion are you doing for the exam on May 17th? Any other tips?

I am revising it section by section, firstly summarising each section on a few sheets of A4. Then from that summary, creating a mind map further summarising it. Then, from that mind map, creating flash cards, which further summarises it. Then, write an exam question expanding from the key points on the flash cards until I'm able to write it all off by heart. This is the way I revise for all of my subjects and it takes me only a few hours per section.

How do you revise it?? :smile:

Yes both those dates- we’re doing Hinduism. Which religion are you doing? We’re always told by our RS teachers to start with the key words and go from there, so I use my quizlet sets every night until the exam so I know the words from each theme as much as I can. Other than that, I also use mindmaps. For the analysis and evaluation- particularly with the harder themes like religious experience, our school photocopies the example essays from the text book. I try to summarise these in my own words so I have an idea of what to write for the part B’s. Your tips sound good so I might have to try that! Do you do a section as one of the themes? Or like an argument?
Thanks so much!
P.S I messaged you the quizlet link- hope it works!
Reply 8
Yes both those dates- we’re doing Hinduism. Which religion are you doing? We’re always told by our RS teachers to start with the key words and go from there, so I use my quizlet sets every night until the exam so I know the words from each theme as much as I can. Other than that, I also use mindmaps. For the analysis and evaluation- particularly with the harder themes like religious experience, our school photocopies the example essays from the text book. I try to summarise these in my own words so I have an idea of what to write for the part B’s. Your tips sound good so I might have to try that! Do you do a section as one of the themes? Or like an argument?
Thanks so much!
P.S I messaged you the quizlet link- hope it works!

You're such a life saver with that link, thank you!! I'm doing Buddhism.
You mentioning religious experience made my heart drop a bit as it is one of the only things I haven't even looked at yet in terms of religion.

When I revise the sections I do it in terms of focusing on one unit, e.g- philosophy, then go into depth on one of the three arguments, e.g- Ontological, and then summarise the info into mind maps and flashcards and do example A and B part questions.

Have you got any tips to revise effectively for RS??
I kind of like talking about RS because it reassures us we're not alone in revising such a content filled A level 😂.
Original post by TR15
You're such a life saver with that link, thank you!! I'm doing Buddhism.
You mentioning religious experience made my heart drop a bit as it is one of the only things I haven't even looked at yet in terms of religion.

When I revise the sections I do it in terms of focusing on one unit, e.g- philosophy, then go into depth on one of the three arguments, e.g- Ontological, and then summarise the info into mind maps and flashcards and do example A and B part questions.

Have you got any tips to revise effectively for RS??
I kind of like talking about RS because it reassures us we're not alone in revising such a content filled A level 😂.

No problem for the link! Hope it helps. Shame you’re not doing Hinduism though!
I mentioned religious experience because that’s one of my main philosophy predictions- that and the ontological argument. I don’t suppose you have any predictions for the ethics? I have no idea!

The flashcard tips sound really useful and you’ve actually motivated me to get started on some tomorrow! Honestly, I wish I had more tips but I’m struggling myself so far! Just hoping that going over key words and an outline of all the arguments will help them stick.
Also, yesss! I’m so glad to have found someone else on here doing it too. It’s so hard finding people doing WJEC on TSR I find. We can discuss after the exams how they went too!
Reply 10
No problem for the link! Hope it helps. Shame you’re not doing Hinduism though!
I mentioned religious experience because that’s one of my main philosophy predictions- that and the ontological argument. I don’t suppose you have any predictions for the ethics? I have no idea!

The flashcard tips sound really useful and you’ve actually motivated me to get started on some tomorrow! Honestly, I wish I had more tips but I’m struggling myself so far! Just hoping that going over key words and an outline of all the arguments will help them stick.
Also, yesss! I’m so glad to have found someone else on here doing it too. It’s so hard finding people doing WJEC on TSR I find. We can discuss after the exams how they went too!

Ah, finally I've found someone as motivated as me, shame i didn't reach out earlier as I would've been motivated by your comments much earlier haha!
I actually didn't have philosophy predictions, so if you have any more please send them my way. I do however have some ethics predictions as my teacher mentioned based on last years questions. I do NOT think that Divine Command Theory, Egoism, and Utilitarianism will come up this year in ethics.

Which do you find easier, philosophy or ethics?

Any yesss, can't wait to discuss how they went. We should revise the same things on the same day to see what we find hardest lol.
Wish you did Buddhism now, arguably the easiest to learn!:smile:
Original post by TR15
Ah, finally I've found someone as motivated as me, shame i didn't reach out earlier as I would've been motivated by your comments much earlier haha!
I actually didn't have philosophy predictions, so if you have any more please send them my way. I do however have some ethics predictions as my teacher mentioned based on last years questions. I do NOT think that Divine Command Theory, Egoism, and Utilitarianism will come up this year in ethics.

Which do you find easier, philosophy or ethics?

Any yesss, can't wait to discuss how they went. We should revise the same things on the same day to see what we find hardest lol.
Wish you did Buddhism now, arguably the easiest to learn!:smile:

I agree, could have motivated me much sooner😅 oh well, hopefully there’s still enough time! For philosophy, evil definitely shouldn’t come up because it was on the specimen paper and last years. So it really looks as if it’ll be religious experience and/or the ontological argument. Although the part B for ontological could be a compare with cosmological and teleological.

Thanks for the ethics, I’m still too unsure to rule anything out completely though. Our teacher is quite sure utilitarianism won’t come up so flew through teaching it. I hope it doesn’t because it’s the theme I know the least!

I think generally ethics is easier, but I prefer philosophy. What about you?

Yeah it’s a shame you don’t do Hinduism. How do you find learning Buddhism though? For Hinduism, I feel as if there is so much content! Although I do like that there are so many questions to choose from in the exam.
Reply 12
I agree, could have motivated me much sooner😅 oh well, hopefully there’s still enough time! For philosophy, evil definitely shouldn’t come up because it was on the specimen paper and last years. So it really looks as if it’ll be religious experience and/or the ontological argument. Although the part B for ontological could be a compare with cosmological and teleological.

Thanks for the ethics, I’m still too unsure to rule anything out completely though. Our teacher is quite sure utilitarianism won’t come up so flew through teaching it. I hope it doesn’t because it’s the theme I know the least!

I think generally ethics is easier, but I prefer philosophy. What about you?

Yeah it’s a shame you don’t do Hinduism. How do you find learning Buddhism though? For Hinduism, I feel as if there is so much content! Although I do like that there are so many questions to choose from in the exam.

It is the complete opposite with Buddhism, I feel there isn't too much content. My teacher thinks it isn't too hard to get an A on, which is encouraging (although i don't feel i will get an A).

How have you been doing on your essays/mocks??
Original post by TR15

ye, I'm doing wjec A level biology, got A* in the mock

tbh to revise just make notes, read over them, understand all the content and do past paper questions
Reply 14
Original post by Subzzzzz
ye, I'm doing wjec A level biology, got A* in the mock

tbh to revise just make notes, read over them, understand all the content and do past paper questions

Are you doing AS or A2?? :smile:
Original post by TR15
It is the complete opposite with Buddhism, I feel there isn't too much content. My teacher thinks it isn't too hard to get an A on, which is encouraging (although i don't feel i will get an A).

How have you been doing on your essays/mocks??

I wish Hinduism was like that! We still haven’t finished the course!
I got A’s in all 3 mocks but we were kind of told the questions so it was easy to prepare. How about you?
Original post by TR15
Are you doing AS or A2?? :smile:

doing a linear A level so we don't have exams until the end of the second year, however I'm in my first year of college.
Hi, I’m doing WJEC as Sociology, is anyone also doing it?
A level biology
Reply 19
I wish Hinduism was like that! We still haven’t finished the course!
I got A’s in all 3 mocks but we were kind of told the questions so it was easy to prepare. How about you?

Thats amazing! We haven't really done mocks, but have had these 'milestone' assessments every 2 months or so, in which I've been getting B/A borderline so thats good!! 1 week today until our first RS exam, wow!!

Quick Reply

Latest