The Student Room Group

CfE Higher Modern Studies 2017/18

It seems there isn't already a thread for this and as the exam is a little over a month away I thought it'd be worth creating one for people to share revision techniques etc.

Personally, I'm a little stumped as to what kind of revision technique I should employ for this subject other than creating essay plans.

Scroll to see replies

I'm feeling exactly the same, have no idea which content would be best to revise or how to do it.
Anyone able to help?

Original post by A_Ch
Hi,

I am practicing a 20 mark essay for causes of social inequality but I'm not sure what factors to use. Are zero hour contracts, child poverty, poor working families and welfare cuts good factors and if not what would you use?

Thanks in advance.
Reply 3
Hi this is sort of important. What is the chance of voting systems being in the exam because my teacher has decided not to teach us that part of the course because it won't come up but I am stressed out incase it does and the other question is rubbish. Please help, Should I prepare an essay myself or what should I do??
Does anyone have a list of essays that could come up? We've not even been taught 'causes of social inequality' and some other things
unlikely, voting systems have been asked for the past 3 years.
Original post by daisymc01
my exam for modern is the 9th May

Saw your post in the other thread- here's this year's Higher Modern Studies one :smile:
Reply 7
Does anyone have any essay plans they would be willing to share? I have some that could be swapped for.
Reply 8
Does anyone have any predications for the essays ? Really starting to panic now 😖
I think the 20 marker will be in the Democracy or world powers/issues section. It’d be pretty mean for them to do it in the crime/social inequalities for a third year running.

I think for democracy it will be voting behaviour, scrutiny or voting systems as they seem to always have at least one of them as a choice. Maybe media or pressure groups too?

For crime, I hope it’s something on courts because that’d be really nice! I think world powers will be powers of the executive, relationships between branches of government or the inequalities.

I’m feeling the same way but I’m trying not to panic - just try and cover what questions seem to come up regularly as they’re likely to be at least one of the essays. Mods is a big course and there’s lots to cover but try and break it down into chunks and just get some basic essays learned with lots of examples. Good luck, you’ll do just fine! :biggrin:
Reply 10
Democracy Evaluate the effectiveness of different voting systems in producing a fair and representative result

importance of social class/media/age/gender or ethnicity on voting behaviour

To what extent are some factors more important

Evaluate the effectiveness of parliamentary representivtives

Analyse Legislative Powers of parliament

To what extent does the commitie system hold government to account

Unelected bodies can influence decision making in parliament.

Discuss Impact media has on decision making

Impact of pressure groups on decision making

Discuss different views about U.K. Membership of the European Union.

This is everything that can come up on Democracy
(edited 5 years ago)
My teacher normally predicts what he think will come up in the exam so here are his predictions (btw these are just his guesses so it doesn’t mean that these will definitely be in it)

For UK- voting behaviour and citizens influence on government

For Crime- impact of crime, causes of crime and prisons

For US- checks and balances, international influence and responses to inequalities
The chance of a question on voting systems coming up is low as it was the 12 mark essay in last years exam, but it may be helpful to know the advantages and disadvantages of AMS FPTP and STV
Original post by A_Ch
Hi this is sort of important. What is the chance of voting systems being in the exam because my teacher has decided not to teach us that part of the course because it won't come up but I am stressed out incase it does and the other question is rubbish. Please help, Should I prepare an essay myself or what should I do??
does anyone know possible questions for social inequality
Reply 14
I think causes is likely to come up but the SQA have a reputation of not doing the expected so you never know
Does anyone know how to study Modern Studies?

I only have a few days till my exams and I do not want to write out all my essays out, could anyone suggest any ideas how i could be able to do this.
Original post by courtney31
I literally only have a few days left till my exam does anyone have any ideas on how i can study for this subject as i do not want to write out essays, upon essays.

:wavey: This is the thread for the Higher Modern Studies exam :smile: Some people here might be able to offer advice :smile:
Original post by Labrador99
:wavey: This is the thread for the Higher Modern Studies exam :smile: Some people here might be able to offer advice :smile:

Thank You very much.

Would anyone be able to help me?
Original post by courtney31
Thank You very much.

No problem :smile:
Reply 19
I basically wrote a list of my three topics

Democracy

World issue: Africa

Social Inequalities in the UK and Scotland

and wrote the general possible essays that may come up for each topic.

Democracy: 6 essays
Social Inequality: 4 essays
Africa: 3 essays

and for each essay I made a spider diagram and have listed K A E (knowledge, analysis, evaluation) and included a statistic, and just basic abbreviations which I can extend in the exam. If you keep what you know broad it’s very easy to write as you go on the exam day with just common sense (that’s how I get analysis marks).

I hope this makes sense I’m really bad at explaining things :-)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending