The Student Room Group

Mature Student?

So basically ,
I achieved my 12th grade marks (equivalent to A-Levels) in 2016. Since then , I have undertaken a degree in my native country. I'll be completing my degree in April of 2019. I'm planning to apply for a September 2019 entry for LLB in the UK. At said time, I will be 21.
Will I be considered as a Mature Student or not? If so ,are there any major differences to the application procedures and selection procedures?
If someone could reply , it'd be very helpful
Original post by abhinair3004
So basically ,
I achieved my 12th grade marks (equivalent to A-Levels) in 2016. Since then , I have undertaken a degree in my native country. I'll be completing my degree in April of 2019. I'm planning to apply for a September 2019 entry for LLB in the UK. At said time, I will be 21.
Will I be considered as a Mature Student or not? If so ,are there any major differences to the application procedures and selection procedures?

Yes, you will be considered a mature student. The application procedure is exactly the same for everyone, mature and non-mature students alike. Some universities relax entry requirements for mature students, but in general you will be held to the same standard as other applicants. Do you know where you're applying?
Original post by Snufkin
Yes, you will be considered a mature student. The application procedure is exactly the same for everyone, mature and non-mature students alike. Some universities relax entry requirements for mature students, but in general you will be held to the same standard as other applicants. Do you know where you're applying?

At the moment I've got;
University of Glasgow
Leeds University
University of York
University of Kent
City University London / Brunel University

Thanks a lot for the information.
Is there any uni that you feel I could get in , over City/Brunel , seeing as they are my last choices. My marks would be equivalent to AAA , I suppose
At the moment I've got;
University of Glasgow
Leeds University
University of York
University of Kent
City University London / Brunel University

Thanks a lot for the information.
Is there any uni that you feel I could get in , over City/Brunel , seeing as they are my last choices. My marks would be equivalent to AAA , I suppose

When you say your marks would be equivalent to AAA, can you be more specific, what quantification do you have/are you doing? A degree?
Original post by Snufkin
When you say your marks would be equivalent to AAA, can you be more specific, what quantification do you have/are you doing? A degree?

Well, I'm from India. My qualification is from the Maharashtra State Board(HSSC) , I got 84%.
At the moment I'm pursuing an Undergraduate degree in the field of Commerce. I'm on track to complete it with a percentage of around 70%
Well, I'm from India. My qualification is from the Maharashtra State Board(HSSC) , I got 84%.
At the moment I'm pursuing an Undergraduate degree in the field of Commerce. I'm on track to complete it with a percentage of around 70%

Since, I'll be graduating only in June , I'm planning to use my 12th grade (the Maharashtra state boards) marks to enter

Since, I'll be graduating only in June , I'm planning to use my 12th grade (the Maharashtra state boards) marks to enter

You will need to declare your degree (even if you have not yet completed it). If you are getting good degree marks (with an average of 75%, or First Class) then you should be aiming higher (Oxbridge, UCL, KCL, LSE etc), in my opinion. Some universities offer 'senior status' LLBs, essentially they allow people who already have a degree to skip the first year of their second degree - would you consider doing that?

I don't know the entry requirements of every university by heart, you will need to check individual websites to see where you could apply - but I would avoid Brunel, if I were you. SOAS might be a good alternative?
Original post by Snufkin
You will need to declare your degree (even if you have not yet completed it). If you are getting good degree marks (with an average of 75%, or First Class) then you should be aiming higher (Oxbridge, UCL, KCL, LSE etc), in my opinion. Some universities offer 'senior status' LLBs, essentially they allow people who already have a degree to skip the first year of their second degree - would you consider doing that?

I don't know the entry requirements of every university by heart, you will need to check individual websites to see where you could apply - but I would avoid Brunel, if I were you. SOAS might be a good alternative?

I wouldn't mind doing a Senior Status , or using my Degree marks as a way of getting into Uni.
Honestly , SOAS didn't appeal to me. Idk why , but I just didn't feel like SOAS was the right fit for me.I looked at Birkbeck as well but decided against it

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending