The Student Room Group

Measurement mcq

Why D?
I'm not trying to be rude or anything, but, generally it'd be fair to provide some idea of your thought process to the question, that kind of thing, and show some idea of what you're thinking. You can easily get an answer to this kind of thing online, or find a method, folks on the forum are here to help with that method and to guide you through the process.

If you don't know the method, consider the range involved with the measurements... that should help with the uncertainty.
Reply 2
Original post by Callicious
I'm not trying to be rude or anything, but, generally it'd be fair to provide some idea of your thought process to the question, that kind of thing, and show some idea of what you're thinking. You can easily get an answer to this kind of thing online, or find a method, folks on the forum are here to help with that method and to guide you through the process.

If you don't know the method, consider the range involved with the measurements... that should help with the uncertainty.

Yeah you're right. I get it now, thank you!
Original post by Callicious

Do we treat the 0.69 as an anomaly or shall we include it in calculation
Original post by Angels1234
Do we treat the 0.69 as an anomaly or shall we include it in calculation

Include 0.69 mm.
Original post by Eimmanuel
Include 0.69 mm.

Why isn’t the error 0.015 (range divide by 2)?
Why isn’t the error 0.015 (range divide by 2)?

In most examination boards, uncertainty is usually quoted in 1 s.f.
In most examination boards, uncertainty is usually quoted in 1 s.f.

But even then 0.02 isn’t an option ?
Reply 8
But even then 0.02 isn’t an option ?

0.02 is just the uncertainty in mm. The options given are in m so basically option D is the same as (0.71 +- 0.02) x 10-3 m ygm?
Original post by Presto
0.02 is just the uncertainty in mm. The options given are in m so basically option D is the same as (0.71 +- 0.02) x 10-3 m ygm?

Ohhh right yeah I see now , thank you . For calculating the percentage uncertainty on a graph do we do best and fit gradients , then do the difference between the gradients. Then do we divide this by the best fit gradient or by 2 ?? Also how do we calculate the percentage uncertainty in the y intercept

Thanks so much
Original post by Presto

:thumbsup:
Reply 11
Ohhh right yeah I see now , thank you . For calculating the percentage uncertainty on a graph do we do best and fit gradients , then do the difference between the gradients. Then do we divide this by the best fit gradient or by 2 ?? Also how do we calculate the percentage uncertainty in the y intercept

Thanks so much

No probs. I still haven't encountered a q where you have to calculate the % uncertainty of a graph but you basically take the gradient of the line of best fit and the worst line of best fit, then you take their difference and divide it by gradient of line of best fit
(Grad of LOBF - Grad of WLOBF) ÷ grad of LOBF
Does that make sense? If not, google it
No idea how to calculate %u in y intercept, have they ever asked a q like this.
Reply 12
:thumbsup:

:biggrin:
Original post by Presto
No probs. I still haven't encountered a q where you have to calculate the % uncertainty of a graph but you basically take the gradient of the line of best fit and the worst line of best fit, then you take their difference and divide it by gradient of line of best fit
(Grad of LOBF - Grad of WLOBF) ÷ grad of LOBF
Does that make sense? If not, google it
No idea how to calculate %u in y intercept, have they ever asked a q like this.

Thanks so much : D do you do AQA ?
Reply 14
Thanks so much : D do you do AQA ?

Nope edexcel

Quick Reply

Latest