howre you guys preparing?
Reply 5
omg even i predicted this . last time it came aroun 2014
Spirometer may show up, we never know
But PCR was in a recent paper, not very old
Original post by laivys
PCR or DNA electrophoresis
Reply 8
i think its gonna be gel electrophoresis or maybe something with quadrats, pcr already came up not too long ago
Original post by sam170
i think its gonna be gel electrophoresis or maybe something with quadrats, pcr already came up not too long ago

Any idea the last time an ecology question came up?
Original post by Studypro2012

November 2017
Reply 11

if we're talking about practicals for the first question (which I thought we were for this thread lol), an ecology practical has never come up in the beginning for ial
it came up in june 2012 for gce
(oct/nov 2017 was dcpip btw)
(edited 5 years ago)
we may only be able to guess the 1st and the 3rd question, but i guess PCR would make more sense if it was the 1st question
Reply 13
we may only be able to guess the 1st and the 3rd question, but I guess PCR would make more sense if it was the 1st question

the first question I thought was the only one we could predict, since the third q's been known to repeat practicals over the years - whereas the first is nearly always different (they've only done habituation twice)

that's why I thought PCR wouldn't come up again
Reply 14
isnt the PCR the same as Dna Electrophoresis??
Reply 15
Original post by Bsjz
isnt the PCR the same as Dna Electrophoresis??

PCR is used to magnify dna (dna copying and all that).Dna Electrophoresis is where you put the dna in a gel electrophoresis machine and give it a potential difference and the dna fragements seperate out and move different distances depending on their size and a pattern is formed.

PCR and Dna electrophoresis are rather small experiments I'd be surprised if they come in Q3 but hey who knows? its Edexcel
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 16
Original post by IrohMac
PCR is used to magnify dna (dna copying and all that).Dna Electrophoresis is where you put the dna in a gel electrophoresis machine and give it a potential difference and the dna fragements seperate out and move different distances depending on their size and a pattern is formed.

PCR and Dna electrophoresis are rather small experiments I'd be surprised if they come in Q3 but hey who knows? its Edexcel

I actually think Dna Electrophoresis can come because it can be explained thoroughly adding stuff like southern blotting...etc
Reply 17
Original post by IrohMac

I doubt they'd put it in for q3, but wouldn't be surprised if they used it for q1
Reply 18
Original post by sam170
I doubt they'd put it in for q3, but wouldn't be surprised if they used it for q1

Yeah, q1 already had PCR come once and its a 5 mark question usually so chances are pcr or dna electrophoresis could easily come in that (if it does it'll be great since they are basically free marks).

But hey lets not take risks and make sure we know all the 17 practicals well enough :biggrin:
Reply 19
There's another discussion going on and they've mentioned the possible cores that could come. Worth giving a look:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5344282#primary_content

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending