The Student Room Group

Reliability of car brands

Basically, I want to buy my 2nd car. I wanna spend £3k ideally but can go up to £4k for the right car. Reliability is something I care a lot about so I was wondering what be the best choice from below:

1= Honda Civic MK8
2= BMW 1 Series MK1
3= BMW 3 Series 2006 onwards
4= Audi A3 2009 onwards
5= VW Golf MK6

Scroll to see replies

I have a VW Polo which is reliable and nice to drive so I'd say VW are reliable especially since they're German.
Reply 2
Yeah id get a polo but its kinda small for a 2nd car, looking for a golf sized car.
Reply 3
Original post by 1Hunnid
Basically, I want to buy my 2nd car. I wanna spend £3k ideally but can go up to £4k for the right car. Reliability is something I care a lot about so I was wondering what be the best choice from below:

1= Honda Civic MK8
2= BMW 1 Series MK1
4= Audi A3 2009 onwards
5= VW Golf MK6

Either a MK7 Golf or a 2006+ BMW. :smile:

What kind of BMW would you get (320d, 318i etc.)? Typically BMW diesels are decently reliable to be honest
Reply 4
Original post by 1Hunnid

1= Honda Civic MK8
2= BMW 1 Series MK1
4= Audi A3 2009 onwards
5= VW Golf MK6

Most reliable car on your list is easily the Honda. It's not even a fair contest. The Golf is also reasonably reliable too.

And I'd avoid the BMWs. Although BMW use quality parts they are not actually that reliable and they are expensive to repair. Both the BMW cars you mentioned have had problems and score really low on the reliability index. The BMW 3 Series have had a history of numerous recalls. Furthermore a car of this amount of age, increases your risk that something bad might happen to it. The Audi falls into a similar category, luxurious cars no doubt, but not particularly bought for their reliability.
The Honda is probably the more reliable car and probably easier to drive as well
Reply 7
Tbh I dont mind the engine size at all, cuz it will deffo be an upgrade over what I have now...Just needs to be reliable and economical (40/50mpg)
Reply 8
Original post by Menrva
Most reliable car on your list is easily the Honda. It's not even a fair contest. The Golf is also reasonably reliable too.

And I'd avoid the BMWs. Although BMW use quality parts they are not actually that reliable and they are expensive to repair. Both the BMW cars you mentioned have had problems and score really low on the reliability index. The BMW 3 Series have had a history of numerous recalls. Furthermore a car of this amount of age, increases your risk that something bad might happen to it. The Audi falls into a similar category, luxurious cars no doubt, but not particularly bought for their reliability.

Hmm, yeah I agree, the honda will be the most reliable but the civic version im looking at has that built in spoiler in the rear window which seems like it blocks an essential part of the rear view. Thats the only bad thing, id buy an Si spec though, as they have coloured bumpers.

Many say the golf is quite reliable, so wouldnt the audi be to? As they are both the same car underneath? Or am I wrong??

Tbh, my dad wants to get a bmw, cuz of the badge... thats literally it. But I know itlo be hard to drive in snow (RWD) and the 1 series is small af in the back. The 3 series is okay but then theres the whole thing of bmws being unreliable when they get old....
Original post by 1Hunnid
Tbh, my dad wants to get a bmw, cuz of the badge... thats literally it. But I know it'll be hard to drive in snow (RWD)

Not hard, impossible :tongue: Used to stay on a hill and see my neighbours beemer scrabbling backwards down the hill as he frantically tried to get some traction and avoid drifting back onto the crossroads, his face was always a picture...or my mates fancy M5 that he had to abandon till he got some rolls of old carpets out :biggrin: (In fairness you need to balance this against how often we actually GET that sort of weather, maybe 10-15 days a year?)
Reply 10
Original post by StriderHort
Not hard, impossible :tongue: Used to stay on a hill and see my neighbours beemer scrabbling backwards down the hill as he frantically tried to get some traction and avoid drifting back onto the crossroads, his face was always a picture...or my mates fancy M5 that he had to abandon till he got some rolls of old carpets out :biggrin: (In fairness you need to balance this against how often we actually GET that sort of weather, maybe 10-15 days a year?)

True, but them 15 or so days would be hell and I would be without a car
Reply 11
Theres also the reliability side to bmws, so there more than one problem to take into account
The golf, Audi and BMW look very smart.
The 3 series is a great car if you avoid anything below a 320i, Same with 1 series nothing below 118i, to under powered for the weight.
BMW often get lots of electrical faults in the older cars due to the complex sensors, frequent replacement of fluids including blinker fluid and using a higher octane fuel is recommended. Rear wheel drive is always fun!
The rest are front wheel drive, with the exception of some Audi's, better control in the snow and cornering.
The Audi and Golf are more professional and sensible compared to the civic, however it all depends on which engine you get for the fuel economy and how you drive. The civic look good, but are not very smart. Much more likely to be stopped.
The golf, Audi and BMW are all very similar, and can all be found for 3k, just be sure to check the mot history and service history along with checking the dipstick and for leaking oil and smoky exhaust.
Reply 13
Original post by Bwndwcko
The golf, Audi and BMW look very smart.
The 3 series is a great car if you avoid anything below a 320i, Same with 1 series nothing below 118i, to under powered for the weight.
BMW often get lots of electrical faults in the older cars due to the complex sensors, frequent replacement of fluids including blinker fluid and using a higher octane fuel is recommended. Rear wheel drive is always fun!
The rest are front wheel drive, with the exception of some Audi's, better control in the snow and cornering.
The Audi and Golf are more professional and sensible compared to the civic, however it all depends on which engine you get for the fuel economy and how you drive. The civic look good, but are not very smart. Much more likely to be stopped.
The golf, Audi and BMW are all very similar, and can all be found for 3k, just be sure to check the mot history and service history along with checking the dipstick and for leaking oil and smoky exhaust.

Whats blinker fluid? Indicator fluid?

I dont mind electrical problems as I can leave them if need be, but mechanical problems is what I dont want...

I would love a type s civic but they are quite expensive for a good model. Near 4k...
Reply 14
Original post by 1Hunnid
Whats blinker fluid? Indicator fluid?

I dont mind electrical problems as I can leave them if need be, but mechanical problems is what I dont want...

I would love a type s civic but they are quite expensive for a good model. Near 4k...

They were joking about the blinker fluid :laugh:
Don't buy that era of 4 cylinder BMWs. The engine used in x16i, 18i, x20i, x16d, x18d, x20d ALL have timing chain issues and are to be avoided
Original post by Unknown-99
I have a VW Polo which is reliable and nice to drive so I'd say VW are reliable especially since they're German.

Cars don't have nationality anymore, this is the XXIst century.
A brand may be from one country, a design of particular model from another, engineering from yet another, some parts from another again etc.
Reply 17
Original post by ShivP_98
Don't buy that era of 4 cylinder BMWs. The engine used in x16i, 18i, x20i, x16d, x18d, x20d ALL have timing chain issues and are to be avoided

Every single BMW? 🤔
Reply 18
Civic out of those. The BMW's will have much higher running costs, even if they are nicer to drive and own.
Reply 19
The Golf seems the best bet.

What about the Corsa D?

Quick Reply

Latest