The Student Room Group

Online access course - funding withdrawn, help!

I had planned on doing the access to nursing course with learn direct as they accepted learner loans. I have just found out they do not accept funding anymore and I’m not sure what to do! What online access course did you do? How much was it?
Thanks 😊
Original post by Hopeful2020
I had planned on doing the access to nursing course with learn direct as they accepted learner loans. I have just found out they do not accept funding anymore and I’m not sure what to do! What online access course did you do? How much was it?
Thanks 😊

This seems odd. They have said they wont accept advanced learner loans or they have had their QAA approval withdrawn or they have dropped the course? What reason did they give?

I always prefer suggesting brick colleges with real teachers and course mates.

Call and discuss
Access.PNG

You can also look for alternative providers, although be careful and dont do any without finding out plenty about them and preferably talking to students.

https://ava.accesstohe.ac.uk/SubSites/PublicSearch/PublicSearchResult.aspx?tosid=32&smids=2&dsid=32
They’ve just said it is no longer an option. An access course at a college would be great but I work and have a young child and want to work as long as I can before going to uni.
Thanks 😊

Online access courses are, generally speaking, not a good idea and not something I would ever recommend. They are often much more liable to pull courses at the last minute and much more likely to deliver poorer teaching and less support. There are lots of student experiences here on the forum, many of them quite troubling (e.g. students failing modules and having to pay huge amounts to resit, no personal tutor support at all). A local college is a much better option purely because you get face-to-face support and there is more accountability if something goes wrong.
Unfortunately is just not an option I have. I know many people who have successfully completed an online access course and continued onto university so I’m not worried about that aspect.
Reply 5
Unfortunately is just not an option I have. I know many people who have successfully completed an online access course and continued onto university so I’m not worried about that aspect.

I was in the same boat, i do mine through stonebridge college. Im on unit 19 of 21 distance learning and i got mine through advanced learner loan
Original post by jjmist
I was in the same boat, i do mine through stonebridge college. Im on unit 19 of 21 distance learning and i got mine through advanced learner loan

That’s really helpful. Thank you. What course are you doing? What do you think of Stonebridge? I enquiried with them but the advice they gave me was really wrong and it put me off using them but don’t know any others that accept the 24+ learners loan.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending