The Student Room Group

Should European countries protect their Christian culture?

Viktor Orban has said he will spend his presidential term 'protecting Hungary's Christian culture'.

Should all European countries work to protect their Christian culture, or should they allow other cultures like Islam to come in?
(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Renela6
Viktor Orban has said he will spend his presidential term 'protecting Hungary's Christian culture'.

Should all European countries work to protect their Christian culture, or should they allow other cultures like Islam to come in?

It's possible to be able to "protect" one culture/religion without bashing another, so yes I think European countries should. Even though they are becoming increasingly secular and atheist. However they should be welcoming to others (as should all countries)
YES. Every country can have their religion and theologies except Christians. I'm sick of the bull ****!

Asia has successfully reinforced Buddhism, Taoism, Hinduism, and all them other isms. Israel has Judaism. Middle East and Africa have Islam. Polynesians and indigenous tribes have animism. Europe has Judaism. Catholics are holding strong but losing numbers. But Christians denominations. We have nothing. Compromised by other religions. I'm willing to see a non Catholic predominantly non-secular Christian and successful country..Im prepared to be proven wrong.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Renela6

Should all European countries work to protect their Christian culture

You mean the Middle Eastern religion imposed on most of Europe by the Romans?

Aside from the continued irony of nativists trying to present Christianity something essentially European, the reason Christianity is in decline in Hungary, like most of Europe, has relatively little to do with Muslims, whose relevance North of the Sava is marginal (and who, in Hungary's last census, were outnumbered 2:1 by Buddhists) - it's the mass rise of the non-religious, who now make up >40% of Hungary's population.
No, culture changes and evolves over time.

Christian culture is primarily bring undermined not by Islam but by atheism, simply because Christianity has so little to offer a lot of people.

Aside from that, I don't see how you can protect culture unless you go down an authoritarian route.
Hopefully non-religion (or at least private/personal religion) is the future.
Reply 6
Original post by Sulfolobus
No, culture changes and evolves over time.

Christian culture is primarily bring undermined not by Islam but by atheism, simply because Christianity has so little to offer a lot of people.

Aside from that, I don't see how you can protect culture unless you go down an authoritarian route.

We already endure vast amounts of state authoritarianism today. Would it really be too arduous to be a touch more selective about the types of people we permit to enter our societies?
Original post by Bang Outta Order
YES. Every country can have their religion and theologies except Christians. I'm sick of the bull ****!

Asia has successfully reinforced Buddhism, Taoism, Hinduism, and all them other isms. Israel has Judaism. Middle East and Africa have Islam. Polynesians and indigenous tribes have animism. Europe has Judaism. Catholics are holding strong but losing numbers. But Christians denominations. We have nothing. Compromised by other religions. I'm willing to see a non Catholic predominantly non-secular Christian and successful country..Im prepared to be proven wrong.

'Nothing'? The CofE is the official state religion, owns the freeholds to over 100,000 acres of land, is entitled to automatic representation in the House of Lords, and receives 10s of millions in government funding every year. It's nobody else's fault that you've failed to stay relevant in the modern age.
Original post by anarchism101
You mean the Middle Eastern religion imposed on most of Europe by the Romans?

Aside from the continued irony of nativists trying to present Christianity something essentially European, the reason Christianity is in decline in Hungary, like most of Europe, has relatively little to do with Muslims, whose relevance North of the Sava is marginal (and who, in Hungary's last census, were outnumbered 2:1 by Buddhists) - it's the mass rise of the non-religious, who now make up >40% of Hungary's population.

We killed God.

:cool:
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
We killed God.

:cool:

Fake news, I'm still alive :colonhash:
There is no such thing as "Christian culture".
Original post by Dima-Blackburn
Fake news, I'm still alive :colonhash:

[video="youtube;2uQ76qrlK78"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2uQ76qrlK78[/video]
Yes they should. It's just the left that always want change, but forget that change is not always good.
Original post by Palmyra
There is no such thing as "Christian culture".

Original post by Captain Haddock
'Nothing'? The CofE is the official state religion, owns the freeholds to over 100,000 acres of land, is entitled to automatic representation in the House of Lords, and receives 10s of millions in government funding every year. It's nobody else's fault that you've failed to stay relevant in the modern age.

I'm not talking about money or political stats, and it's conveniently ironic that you mention them since money and politics are the most non Christian concepts ever. I'm discussing numbers in who faithfully practices the religion, and how national and local laws and policies and lawmakers and politicians don't reinforce Christianity in any country, mainly for being bought out by non Christian countries and companies.

So again I ask:

Name me a successful Christian country, not Catholic, where Christianity is not just statistically the highest identified religion, but encouraged and reflected in laws (prayers in every or most schools-in the USA they actually federally REMOVED "One nation under God" for exmaple from the school morning pledges! and I bet a non Christian person or predominantly non Christian entity decided this; a country with majority businesses that reflect Christian principles AND owned by members of Christian churches, everyone taking off for Christian holidays not Christmas and not just Easter etc. because in Japan it is nationally a Buddhist place, with dozens of Buddhist holidays that literally everyone celebrates, in the Middle East people faithfully practice and reflect Islam, in israel, Judaism etc no country functions strictly as Christian is my point regardless of why).
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Renela6

Do you mean like King Henry VIII protected British Christianity? At least - his version of British Christianity. I mean - it surely wasn't all bad. Have you been to Fountains Abby? It is a beautiful ruin.
They're perfectly entitled to defend their culture, which Christianity is a part of.

However I often feel this "defensiveness" is aimed in the wrong direction. At "out-groups". The real problem is much closer to home.
Europe should protect Western culture and its values. Multiculturalism is just bulls*it, it'll never work. I'm saying that as an ex-muslim person who considering to live in the UK.
I'm willing to see a non Catholic predominantly non-secular Christian and successful country..Im prepared to be proven wrong.

You do realise that the UK isn't a secular state and isn't a Catholic nation right?...
I'm not talking about money or political stats, and it's conveniently ironic that you mention them since money and politics are the most non Christian concepts ever. I'm discussing numbers in who faithfully practices the religion, and how national and local laws and policies and lawmakers and politicians don't reinforce Christianity in any country, mainly for being bought out by non Christian countries and companies.

So again I ask:

Name me a successful Christian country, not Catholic, where Christianity is not just statistically the highest identified religion, but encouraged and reflected in laws (prayers in every or most schools-in the USA they actually federally REMOVED "One nation under God" for exmaple from the school morning pledges! and I bet a non Christian person or predominantly non Christian entity decided this; a country with majority businesses that reflect Christian principles AND owned by members of Christian churches, everyone taking off for Christian holidays not Christmas and not just Easter etc. because in Japan it is nationally a Buddhist place, with dozens of Buddhist holidays that literally everyone celebrates, in the Middle East people faithfully practice and reflect Islam, in israel, Judaism etc no country functions strictly as Christian is my point regardless of why).

Look at it this way: The CofE is essentially an underperforming 'too big to fail' business being propped up by corporate welfare that, despite its enormous baked-in advantages, has been consistently failing to put bums on pews for many, many years now. If you want to turn the country into a Christian theme park, it's up to you and your fellow Christians to make that happen. Christians are not entitled to their own little theocracy just because other religions have theirs.

Quick Reply

Latest