The Student Room Group

Not very close to my family

I know it can’t be changed that we don’t have that close, open relationship, but it gets me down from time to time. They’re not strict on me, or abusive (my mum can get pretty nasty towards me when she’s angry about something else, but that’s it).

I can’t really be myself around them and I sometimes feel like they like me for what I do, not who I am. They don’t like it when I talk about my problems. I’m 20 so old enough to do my own thing. I feel like I’m looked down upon for being unsure about what I want to do in the future.

My ex-boyfriend’s family was so close-knit; I was added to his family WhatsApp group. They can all be themselves around each other and have a laugh. I sometimes wish I had been born into their family, or a family like that.

People who aren’t close with their families, who do you tell your problems to? Does not being close have a big effect on you?
I am not close to my family either. It does have an effect because I don't really have anyone to talk to when I need to
Original post by Anonymous
I know it can’t be changed that we don’t have that close, open relationship, but it gets me down from time to time. They’re not strict on me, or abusive (my mum can get pretty nasty towards me when she’s angry about something else, but that’s it).

I can’t really be myself around them and I sometimes feel like they like me for what I do, not who I am. They don’t like it when I talk about my problems. I’m 20 so old enough to do my own thing. I feel like I’m looked down upon for being unsure about what I want to do in the future.

My ex-boyfriend’s family was so close-knit; I was added to his family WhatsApp group. They can all be themselves around each other and have a laugh. I sometimes wish I had been born into their family, or a family like that.

People who aren’t close with their families, who do you tell your problems to? Does not being close have a big effect on you?

This sounds so much like my family, except my dad is the one who gets angry. My boyfriend's family is so adorable with how loving they are to each other. For me, I'm a bit closer to my mum but still not super close. I turn to my boyfriend to tell my problems to. Not being close has actually helped me a lot - I'm more independent and self-reliant, whereas if my family were closer I doubt I would be. I had no issue moving 200 miles away for uni, and I actually prefer being away at uni instead of at home. That sounds bad, but it's really not. I don't really miss my family except for my cat, and my dad himself has said he doesn't really miss me. It's just how we work. I'm happy not telling my parents everything, and they're happy not knowing everything.
Reply 3
I am not close to my family either. It does have an effect because I don't really have anyone to talk to when I need to

I’m sorry about that. Do you go on here when you need to talk?
Reply 4
Original post by DrawTheLine
This sounds so much like my family, except my dad is the one who gets angry. My boyfriend's family is so adorable with how loving they are to each other. For me, I'm a bit closer to my mum but still not super close. I turn to my boyfriend to tell my problems to. Not being close has actually helped me a lot - I'm more independent and self-reliant, whereas if my family were closer I doubt I would be. I had no issue moving 200 miles away for uni, and I actually prefer being away at uni instead of at home. That sounds bad, but it's really not. I don't really miss my family except for my cat, and my dad himself has said he doesn't really miss me. It's just how we work. I'm happy not telling my parents everything, and they're happy not knowing everything.

Ah okay, interesting. It’s good that you have someone to turn to. I’m also quite an independent person. I really would like to create the close-knit structure for when I have children though.
I’m sorry about that. Do you go on here when you need to talk?

Not really I have sometimes but that's about it really

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending