The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by gscholland

...he was going 46mph in a 60mph zone...
...70mph dual carriageway... for driving at 56mph...

Assuming the road conditions were okay, that's pretty terrible judgement of speed.
late reply but i’ve been with them for a couple of months now, no issues so far, have gone over the limit by a few MPH occasionally and my speed score remains 10, the only issue is the smoothness, out of nowhere they will give me -9 for smoothness for no reason, dragging my overall score down, but other than that all good :smile:
Reply 82
Original post by strokemycactus
have gone over the limit by a few MPH occasionally and my speed score remains 10

That's because you won't have been going above the speed limit.
Reply 83
Original post by Truee123
Hi,
So I've basically bought Smart Wheels insurance as it was the cheapest at £1350, the next cheapest was £2020 but still with black box. I just read some reviews and they are all really negative like why do they keep cancelling? Has anyone had any good experiences?
With out black box I think it will be around £3000 which I cant afford. What should I do?

Thanks

Hi, I bought insurance for my son as he had just passed his test, and Smart Wheels have just cancelled his policy after a month for not submitting all his documents - well they cant read one of them to be precise. We thought the communication giving us a weeks notice had crossed with us sending documents as we knew we had sent everything. Anyway the policy was cancelled and 13 hours after it was cancelled we got an email telling us this, which I read the next day! One and half days (potentially) driving without insurance! Now have to declare that he has had a policy cancelled and +£2000 more in insurance on top of normal quotes. Could have been worse! Their black boxes are also unreliable, proof with dash cam verified by me!
Try a number of comparison sites as I found some considerably cheaper than others. Also try putting both parent on policy.
To answer your question - No I don't have a good experience with them.
Original post by ib111
Hi, I bought insurance for my son as he had just passed his test, and Smart Wheels have just cancelled his policy after a month for not submitting all his documents - well they cant read one of them to be precise. We thought the communication giving us a weeks notice had crossed with us sending documents as we knew we had sent everything. Anyway the policy was cancelled and 13 hours after it was cancelled we got an email telling us this, which I read the next day! One and half days (potentially) driving without insurance! Now have to declare that he has had a policy cancelled and +£2000 more in insurance on top of normal quotes. Could have been worse! Their black boxes are also unreliable, proof with dash cam verified by me!
Try a number of comparison sites as I found some considerably cheaper than others. Also try putting both parent on policy.
To answer your question - No I don't have a good experience with them.

They can void your insurance in an accident, but they'll never just cancel on you with no notice. You get anywhere from a week to 2 weeks usually, which was more than enough time to phone them and sort the issue out over the phone "Hi - oh you're missing my v5c? Can you stay on the line whilst I upload it and you can check if it's ok? Great. Done. Got it? Great, so everything's fine then - thanks for your help, bye!"

For the sake of 10 minutes you've lost access to so many decent insurers.
I have been insured for a year with these guys and I have been absolutely fine I even got my 1 years NCB:smile: . Yes there were times I did speed slightly but around 5mph extra then what the limit is on that specific road. I insured a Audi a4 2.0 litre powerful car but still managed to not get my policy cancelled I am now planning to get my bmw 2.0 insured with these guys again because of the cheapest quote and I am more than happy to go ahead with them.My opinion me being a young driver I'm probably still alive and well because of a black box fitted in my car and it's made me a better and much safer driver
(edited 6 years ago)
My son has had his policy cancelled today. Two of the occasions he was said to be speeding on a stretch of road he was somewhere else. Also the stretch of road they say he was speeding on is heavily police patrolled and has many speed cameras. I drove with him the other day and everywhere round our way is 20mph. He drove so slowly. I asked if we could get the box checked for faults and he didn’t seem to know. Also wanted to charge £85 to remove box. Stay well away from this company, cheapest isn’t always best
Reply 87
My sons policy falls in your caregory, same stuff happened and im just fighting it and taking matters further.
Reply 88
Original post by Audi786
My sons policy falls in your caregory, same stuff happened and im just fighting it and taking matters further.

Not much to fight, really. If you're going to let Big Brother into your car, expect things to go wrong.
Reply 89
There is a complaints procedure, smart wheels say they have processed our complaint and stick to there decision but hxve not provided a letter to confirm in writing so i csm take matter to the insurance complaints procedure and have the onbudsman independent panel look into this and how they lie and operate. Need to unveil all the deceitfulness with genuine people like us.

Here a link...

https://www.morethan.com/complaints/

https://www.morethan.com/customer-help/car-insurance/useful-contacts/how-can-i-make-car-insurance-complaint/
Reply 90
Original post by Audi786
There is a complaints procedure, smart wheels say they have processed our complaint and stick to there decision but hxve not provided a letter to confirm in writing so i csm take matter to the insurance complaints procedure and have the onbudsman independent panel look into this and how they lie and operate. Need to unveil all the deceitfulness with genuine people like us.

Here a link...

https://www.morethan.com/complaints/

https://www.morethan.com/customer-help/car-insurance/useful-contacts/how-can-i-make-car-insurance-complaint/

You really expect anything to come of this? Where's your proof there's any wrongdoing on their part?
Original post by IWMTom
Only if they don't do their homework. If you can afford to maintain and run a car, you can afford standard insurance.

Original post by IWMTom
You're looking to insure the wrong car, then.

Wow man, you've clearly never tried to insure a young driver.

It costs me £4500 without a black box to insure an insurance group 1 car.

This includes me having no convictions and parking it on private property.

-

A black box is the only way, and even then i'm reaching nearly £2000
Reply 92
There are 2 options, either we believe smart wheels are telling the truth and accept theyre right and we are wrong, by law they have to provide all data held on there system including the black box, the evidence is held within, now since they have cancelled the insurance, they now say the data is lost and no longer retrievable, now do you believe that, all this over a discepency of 500 miles left for policy to expire in July and no notification received that ive exceeded the mileage when i purchased extra mileage. Second option is i take it all the way through complaints process as i have evidence from last mot and mileage on speedometer and proof of extra mileage purchased.
Reply 93
Never give up, always exhaust the complaints process and then goto insurance onbudsman to hopefully get justice.
I have insurance with more than smart wheels £400 deposit £85 a month ... I’ve been with them for about 5 months and they are awful... I have the car for a reason to make sure I get to hospital appointments as well as getting to uni and getting home safely when it’s late. They give you low scores for travelling too late (8-9 o’clock at night) smart wheels they give you low scores for braking too harshly ... I drive in London and it’s pretty chaotic and every driver has to break harshly in some circumstances to avoid dangers and collisions. I will NOT be getting a black box again, just gonna stick it out for the year and claim my one years no claims bonus. I have had to worst year with them. If anyone is looking at getting a black box because of cheaper insurance .. please do not fall into the trap. I suggest saving up a bit more money to pay for insurance without the box. You’ll thank me later.
Reply 95
Original post by Pls let me drive
Wow man, you've clearly never tried to insure a young driver.

It costs me £4500 without a black box to insure an insurance group 1 car.

This includes me having no convictions and parking it on private property.

-

A black box is the only way, and even then i'm reaching nearly £2000

You've chosen the wrong car.
I have smart wheels, they are abit weird though, once I did 85mph at 5:30 in the morning in my car, not constant, but hit it and then slowed down to 70mph again.... and they gave me +10
Reply 97
keep track and evidence of your mileage and if you think your getting close to the annual mileage provided at start of insurance then purchase more miles to travel until your renewal or contact your insurance and clarify matter. Also do not speed or drive recklessly and try not to drive around or past midnight as all this goes against your behavior as a driver. Learn from the negative experiences on here and hopefully you should be safe.
Original post by IWMTom
You've chosen the wrong car.

I repeat, insurance group 1.

That's literally the lowest group there is. If you believe I've simply chosen the "wrong car" then give me an example.
Reply 99
Original post by Pls let me drive
I repeat, insurance group 1.

That's literally the lowest group there is. If you believe I've simply chosen the "wrong car" then give me an example.

I appreciate that insurance is complex and not everyone has a grasp of the industry, so believe me when I say, insurance groups don't have much of a bearing on your premiums as a young driver.

Latest