The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Praying the sqa will be considerate enough to lower the grade boundaries, i had no time to check my answers at all :frown: was aiming to finish the paper in 2 hours but it was literally impossible
Reply 61
I actually found the paper easier than previous years but i couldnt do the simple harmonic motion question or most of the two mark explain questions. im pretty pleased with how it went though
Reply 63
Original post by tomctutor
Yes I have the papers-scan and good quality one for a change- i'll pdf that up with link
asap.

I will do that but it will probably take a day to do! :cyber: On the case!

Here's Q6. Cheers for doing this! https://drive.google.com/file/d/1KiHv_WGAbZxEOy0GMa8CFMOpH7quGLf0/view?usp=drivesdk
Reply 64
For the interference pattern question, did people divide the fringes by 20 or 19? Also, what did you guys put down for the very last question?
Reply 65
Original post by M.M.U
For the interference pattern question, did people divide the fringes by 20 or 19? Also, what did you guys put down for the very last question?

20 because it said 20 further bright fringes.
And for the last question I wasn’t sure at all but I mentioned the formula E=1/2 x I x L^2 and that using an inductor increases L, which increases E however using an additional resistor would increases R, therefore decreases I and so decreases E. But again I don’t really know. That was just a guess.
Reply 66
Thank you. Also for the question regarding the decreasing kinetic energy away from the sun with distance, what did you guys say for that?
Reply 67
I said that it was to do with the particles being further away from the sun so they arent gaining as much kinetic energy from the suns heat but im not sure if thats right
Original post by M.M.U
Thank you. Also for the question regarding the decreasing kinetic energy away from the sun with distance, what did you guys say for that?

i made a complete guess and said their speed decreases as it goes away from the sun (probs wrong physics haha)
Original post by M.M.U

For the last question you would probably get atleast one mark for stating the equation and talk physics around it. The other mark possibly be that using a inductor, energy is not dissipated however a resistor would allow energy to be dissipated (into heat energy) thus reducing the overall energy according to E=1/2LI^2

And for the division of amplitude question I divided by 20 😃

Hope this helps.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by TheDayTripper
Thought it was a 3 hour paper for some reason. Lol so 11 marks didn't even get attempted

RIP, I attempted the paper and it was the most dissapointing experience of my life :smile: I spent a signficiant portion of this entire academic year preparing for this exam with high expectations from family and staff in my school but I f@#ked it so badly due to my insane judgement of how long im supposed to spend on each question. In the end I left the exam losing 31 marks automatically as I only got to the question about definition of electric field strength. I'm never relying on knowledge purely again exam technique is so much more important. :frown::frown:
For the car questions, does it stick to the track or lose contact?
Original post by Ethan100
For the car questions, does it stick to the track or lose contact?

It said it sticks because if u equated the two equations, the centripetal force was independant on the mass which the question said the second car had a greater mass however it was dependant on the radius which was constant. Anyone else think different? 😧
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Medic DUX
It said it sticks because if u equated the two equations, the centripetal force was independant on the mass which the question said the second card had a greater mass however it was dependant on the radius which was constant. Anyone else think different? 😧

No, I think thats right. I put the other one becauseI never new it was independent of mass :frown: I seriously dont even know if I got even 1 explain question correct.
Original post by Ethan100
No, I think thats right. I put the other one becauseI never new it was independent of mass :frown: I seriously dont even know if I got even 1 explain question correct.

I wouldn't worry as its only one mark, you should get marks for working or stating the formula at least. I think what made this exam more difficult compared to previous two years was that there were a **** tonne of explain knowledge questions which involved more than just knowledge but wider physics problem solving making it even worse as they were actually woth alot of marks if u added them up unlike previous years where they wouldn't really add any emphysis to your grade if you got them wrong. Likewise, the open ended questions for physics are always rubbish every year so no surprise there as SQA are running out of ideas.

Overall, I would suspect the grade bounderies to slightly lower as many people are in the same position as to yourself.
I wouldn't worry as its only one mark, you should get marks for working or stating the formula at least. I think what made this exam more difficult compared to previous two years was that there were a **** tonne of explain knowledge questions which involved more than just knowledge but wider physics problem solving making it even worse as they were actually woth alot of marks if u added them up unlike previous years where they wouldn't really add any emphysis to your grade if you got them wrong. Likewise, the open ended questions for physics are always rubbish every year so no surprise there as SQA are running out of ideas.

Overall, I would suspect the grade bounderies to slightly lower as many people are in the same position as to yourself.

Yeah I agree. I just started losing so much confidence as I went through the almost endless amount of questions. Stuff I did know, I started questioning myself on. I just kind of rushed everything towards the end, had no time to check over anything... even the qurstions I missed.
Did anyone else find the distribution of marks a bit random? For example in Q4 on gravitation it was necessary to carry out two processes in order to sub values into the equation given, however, the same amount of marks was awarded for doing a simple equation for example question 9 vmax=wA.
Original post by PaulK2110
Did anyone else find the distribution of marks a bit random? For example in Q4 on gravitation it was necessary to carry out two processes in order to sub values into the equation given, however, the same amount of marks was awarded for doing a simple equation for example question 9 vmax=wA.

And then they distribute 3 marks for t=RC towards the end lmao I guess they gave up 😂
And then they distribute 3 marks for t=RC towards the end lmao I guess they gave up 😂

Ahaha aye, definitely the weirdest exam av sat
Reply 79
For the last question you would probably get atleast one mark for stating the equation and talk physics around it. The other mark possibly be that using a inductor, energy is not dissipated however a resistor would allow energy to be dissipated (into heat energy) thus reducing the overall energy according to E=1/2LI^2

And for the division of amplitude question I divided by 20 😃

Hope this helps.

The correct way to think about the last question is that as the current increases the energy stored in the inductor increases, then as the current decreases (due to the capacitor discharging) the inductor releases the stored energy back into the circuit, whilst the resistor releases energy as heat which can't be returned to the circuit (or patient)

Latest

Trending

Trending