The Student Room Group

What techniques do you find helpful when studying with your disability?

Everyone learns differently and having a disability is no exception to that so what do you find particularly helpful when studying with a disability?

For me a big thing is making use of technology, with dyslexia and dyspraxia handwriting things to study is something that it took me a while to realise really wasn't working for me. So now I generally only study on my pc, whether that's making colourful notes in a friendly font or using flashcards which for me are brilliant for trying to drum things in my long term memory.
Another general thing now is that I try to work with my brain by starting off very early so if I m having concentration problems or a bad brain day I can comfortably walk away and look after my self by trying again later.

What about you?
Can't think of much for me personally.:beard:

If I'm listening to music whilst studying then I don't use headphones because I hear better out loud.
Organising things into tables on Google Docs, Google Calendar (otherwise I forget everything), doing work over a longer period of time. Oh and hot water bottle :wink:
Reply 3
I have dyslexia and ADD so I tend to find all the "right" ways to study kinda go out the window for me. I found that dim lights help (reduces contrast that irritates eyes/ brain) along with listening to music (familiar music acts as white noise to block out distractions) and not setting a structured plan (cos I'd end up having a blank moment in "on" times and actually have ideas in "off" times- better to just find my groove free style). Few other things too, but that's what I can remember from back in the days I actually had to think. Oh and sometimes I found typing better and sometimes I found actual writing better- depended on if I was likely to be stopping and starting (like while gathering information) or if I wanted a constant flow. Typing is also way better in terms of SPAG cos boy do I make a lot of little mistakes (which spell check kindly corrects for me).
Original post by Kindred
I have dyslexia and ADD so I tend to find all the "right" ways to study kinda go out the window for me. I found that dim lights help (reduces contrast that irritates eyes/ brain) along with listening to music (familiar music acts as white noise to block out distractions) and not setting a structured plan (cos I'd end up having a blank moment in "on" times and actually have ideas in "off" times- better to just find my groove free style). Few other things too, but that's what I can remember from back in the days I actually had to think. Oh and sometimes I found typing better and sometimes I found actual writing better- depended on if I was likely to be stopping and starting (like while gathering information) or if I wanted a constant flow. Typing is also way better in terms of SPAG cos boy do I make a lot of little mistakes (which spell check kindly corrects for me).
Out of interest, where do you get the idea that there are "right" ways of studying?:curious:

Also quick question: when you say you type to avoid spelling mistakes, is that in actual work or just revision notes and things?:holmes:
Reply 5
Original post by 04MR17
Out of interest, where do you get the idea that there are "right" ways of studying?:curious:

Also quick question: when you say you type to avoid spelling mistakes, is that in actual work or just revision notes and things?:holmes:

Teachers and online advice and all that. Tends to follow the same basic pattern from what I can tell.
Mostly just the more formal stuff. My spelling isn't so bag it's unclear what I am trying to say. Actually tbh I think half my spelling errors come from using a keyboard anyway. Just easier for me to go back and edit if I want to though.
Honestly I never took any revision notes. :tongue:
Oh and it's harder to misplace a saved file on a computer than some random but of paper in my messy "organisation" or stuff.
(edited 5 years ago)
Utilising my ok moments and moments i have energy to get work done. Doesn't matter to me if its 3am or 5pm if i have the energy then and am not in a depressive/rash state then ill try to get work done.
Sometimes if there is too much going on in a day and i cant do it all i let go of the stuff that isn't absolutely necessary. This has resulted in me missing a lot of lectures etc this year and missing out on society stuff but yeh :/
Original post by Kindred
Teachers and online advice and all that. Tends to follow the same basic pattern from what I can tell.
Mostly just the more formal stuff. My spelling isn't so bag it's unclear what I am trying to say. Actually tbh I think half my spelling errors come from using a keyboard anyway. Just easier for me to go back and edit if I want to though.
Honestly I never took any revision notes. :tongue:
Oh and it's harder to misplace a saved file on a computer than some random but of paper in my messy "organisation" or stuff.
Thanks Kindred.:hugs: Just curious to know.:smile:
Original post by CoolCavy
Utilising my ok moments and moments i have energy to get work done. Doesn't matter to me if its 3am or 5pm if i have the energy then and am not in a depressive/rash state then ill try to get work done.
Sometimes if there is too much going on in a day and i cant do it all i let go of the stuff that isn't absolutely necessary. This has resulted in me missing a lot of lectures etc this year and missing out on society stuff but yeh :/
That's really good advice.:yes: :hugs:

Quick Reply

Latest