The Student Room Group

Edexcel IAL Biology Unit 6 | May 2018

Any predictions on what they might give us this time around??? Predicted practical???

Scroll to see replies

Hi there, does gel electrophoresis count as a practical? PCR came up in Q1 before, so it could be right?
Reply 2
Original post by aglitterofleonie
Hi there, does gel electrophoresis count as a practical? PCR came up in Q1 before, so it could be right?

Yeah. My teacher let me know that spirometer, ecology, gel electrophoresis, Daphnia, tissue culture (totipotency) and mineral deficiency practicals are the predicted cores that may come up. The spirometer one, Tissue culture and mineral deficiency have never come up in an exam (old and new syllabus).
Original post by kerry.kerry
Yeah. My teacher let me know that spirometer, ecology, gel electrophoresis, Daphnia, tissue culture (totipotency) and mineral deficiency practicals are the predicted cores that may come up. The spirometer one, Tissue culture and mineral deficiency have never come up in an exam (old and new syllabus).

Thank you so much! I'm self-studying for the course so dont have a teacher to explain things to me. :afraid::afraid:
Also, for Q1, investigating enzyme conc/initial rate of reaction hasnt come up
Reply 5
Original post by aglitterofleonie
Also, for Q1, investigating enzyme conc/initial rate of reaction hasnt come up

Yes it has, for the Unit 3 re-take that happened last Monday, so it won't come up for Unit 6 :smile: My teacher let us know haha

Wait isn't ecology the random and systematic sampling ?
But it has come in November 2017 ya so isn't that an easy exclusion ?
Reply 7

I mean the spirometer did kind of come up. If you take a look at the June 2016 paper Q3 it does mention a spirometer. but yeah it might come out for Q3... you never know
Reply 8
Original post by RunningScorpion
Wait isn't ecology the random and systematic sampling ?
But it has come in November 2017 ya so isn't that an easy exclusion ?

what about Respirometer, brine shrimp and beetroot tho? they've repeated these twice now is there a chance they could come again?
Reply 9
these are some of the predictions-
for q3- ~respirometer and habituation.
for q1- ~daphnia
~mitosis
~con. of enzymes
~totipotency
~mineral deficiency.
After all I think it is better to revise all bcoz we don't want to take a chance....
How was the paper guys? Was the first question supposed to be a Spirograph or a respirometer?
Original post by Rockitty99
How was the paper guys? Was the first question supposed to be a Spirograph or a respirometer?

It was actually supposed to be a locust versionof daphnia.. Did not write that though.. I wrote respirometer
Guys Was the locust question spirometer or respirometer? Cause I said ventilation rate is tidal volume multiplied by breathing rate
Hey guys, I was told that the correct answer for 1(a) was the daphnia practical applied to the locust. However, the question specified *ventilation* rate not breathing rate. Therefore, I decided to answer with the respirometer practical, dividing the volume of oxygen respired by time over which it was respired. Why is this not correct?
Original post by ianishere
Hey guys, I was told that the correct answer for 1(a) was the daphnia practical applied to the locust. However, the question specified *ventilation* rate not breathing rate. Therefore, I decided to answer with the respirometer practical, dividing the volume of oxygen respired by time over which it was respired. Why is this not correct?

Who told you the correct answer ?
Original post by ianishere

I don’t get it, the daphnia practical is for investigating heart rate, not minute ventilation, and yes I wrote the exact same answer as yours, but since minute ventilation is stroke volume x rate of breathing, I decided to add a spirogram at the end to get rate of breathing and then use the formula to get minute ventilation, not sure if they’ll accept or reject because I wrote 2 answers :”(
I don’t get it, the daphnia practical is for investigating heart rate, not minute ventilation, and yes I wrote the exact same answer as yours, but since minute ventilation is stroke volume x rate of breathing, I decided to add a spirogram at the end to get rate of breathing and then use the formula to get minute ventilation, not sure if they’ll accept or reject because I wrote 2 answers :”(

The question mentioned that when the locust breathe ,the abdomen will contract and relax and it is visible when u observe the locust externally ,so u can find the number of ventilation movements
Original post by Screw edexcel
The question mentioned that when the locust breathe ,the abdomen will contract and relax and it is visible when u observe the locust externally ,so u can find the number of ventilation movements

Oh my god yess, I read that part again in the exam and I knew it was dropping some kind of hint but I couldn’t process it back then oof
Oh my god yess, I read that part again in the exam and I knew it was dropping some kind of hint but I couldn’t process it back then oof

Wait I'm missing something. You just said you used the respirometer method... But the fact that you can count contractions makes that wrong.
Original post by zoae
Wait I'm missing something. You just said you used the respirometer method... But the fact that you can count contractions makes that wrong.

No lol I’m agreeing with him/her that it surely is the daphnia practical because we could see it’s abdomen contracting after every ventilation, but yeah I wrote the ans which I replied to him

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending