The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
An open ended question on uncertainties seems a bit stupid I thought, also they really need to work on spacing questions out properly, like a tiny space to do a four line integration but full pages for basically one word answers is a sorta stupid
Reply 81
Would you lose all the marks for the integration question if you're an idiot (me) and left out the +c
Original post by A12322
Would you lose all the marks for the integration question if you're an idiot (me) and left out the +c

I believe you may loose one mark or so but not all the marks given that your answer is correct. Why didn't you make life easier and work with limits ? Lol
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by A12322

it depends if you used the definite integral method. That doesn't require the constant.
Reply 84
Thanks guys, I'm not sure why I didn't do the limits, I usually always do, for some reason I did it the indefinite way and messed up. Easiest question too haha oh well
Original post by tomctutor
Yes I have the papers-scan and good quality one for a change- i'll pdf that up with link
asap.

:pepsi:I completed the worked solutions to this years Advanced Higher Physics paper as attached here (lives on my server- cant seem to upload anything to TSR)> pdf file

If I re-edit it it will be pointed to by the same link- so please quote this post# on any comments.

Paper-scan pdf wil be up soon too (thats taking slightly longer than I thought).
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 86
Original post by A12322
Thanks guys, I'm not sure why I didn't do the limits, I usually always do, for some reason I did it the indefinite way and messed up. Easiest question too haha oh well

You don't lose any marks for missing out the +c (at least the SQA didn't take marks off for it in the past) so you should be good
Original post by MC2k
You don't lose any marks for missing out the +c (at least the SQA didn't take marks off for it in the past) so you should be good

I thought you would because by not considering it, it would be incorrect integration?
Reply 88
@hannahi1039
Idk, just going off previous marking schemes, plus if you sub in limits then you're only looking for the difference in two quantities when it comes to polynomial expressions so a constant would never effect the result as it would just be subtracted, so although it's technically incorrect integration, in the context of most integrations (all at Adv Higher level) where limits are required, the addition of a constant doesn't change anything, so the marking team probably decided that it's pointless to penalise something that you would never need anyway and you could leave out without effecting the answer
Original post by MC2k
@hannahi1039
Idk, just going off previous marking schemes, plus if you sub in limits then you're only looking for the difference in two quantities when it comes to polynomial expressions so a constant would never effect the result as it would just be subtracted, so although it's technically incorrect integration, in the context of most integrations (all at Adv Higher level) where limits are required, the addition of a constant doesn't change anything, so the marking team probably decided that it's pointless to penalise something that you would never need anyway and you could leave out without effecting the answer

Ah fair enough, I think my teacher just drilled it into my brain so I couldn’t forget it hahaha
Anyone able to help me in regards to calculating a grade? Can’t remeber how the paper is scaled etc
Original post by 789456123
Anyone able to help me in regards to calculating a grade? Can’t remeber how the paper is scaled etc

Exam paper is out of 140 and is scaled to be out of 100.
The project mark out of 30 is added on, giving a total out of 130.
Original post by MC2k
@hannahi1039

The integration question on this paper (like almost all physics) is a definite integral (between limits) the integration constant is not used with these for the reasons mentioned- so you wont be penalised for its use or not!
(worked solutions this thread - here)
Original post by Labrador99
Exam paper is out of 140 and is scaled to be out of 100.
The project mark out of 30 is added on, giving a total out of 130.

So what do I do to calculate the grade? Brain is mush after maths and physics 😂

You cant calculate the grade until they are published by SQA!
You can estimate above 75% overall will more than likely be an A.

Take your estimated mark in the paper and divide it by 140. Multiply that by 100. Add your estimated project score to it, and you will have an estimate mark out of 130.
Original post by Labrador99
Take your estimated mark in the paper and divide it by 140. Multiply that by 100. Add your estimated project score to it, and you will have an estimate mark out of 130.

Thanks, it’s looking like a B
Reply 97
@tomctutor
I think your answer for the very last question is wrong, it is about how why an inductor is better than a resistor for delivering the most energy to the patient, and so an inductor can store and release energy into a circuit whilst a resistor just dissipates the potential drop over it as heat energy, not so much to do with resistance and/or inductive capacitance as your answer implies since they are effectually very similar. Thank you very much for the solutions btw
Original post by MC2k
@tomctutor
I think your answer for the very last question is wrong, it is about how why an inductor is better than a resistor for delivering the most energy to the patient, and so an inductor can store and release energy into a circuit whilst a resistor just dissipates the potential drop over it as heat energy, not so much to do with resistance and/or inductive capacitance as your answer implies since they are effectually very similar. Thank you very much for the solutions btw

That would also be acceptable so ive changed that - sorry your right!
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 99

It's been explained earlier in the forum