The Student Room Group

How safe is Ryanair in comparison to other carriers?

I am flying to Barcelona in the Summer on Ryanair. I haven't flown them since 2012, and have since spent a fair bit of time flying British Airways, alongside a few United flights. Both of those airlines have got a solid safety record and I have no issues with them in terms of safety.

I've read into some plane crash investigations and it always seems to be low-cost carriers that are involved in crashes. The prospect of flying Ryanair keeps giving me reminders of what happened to ValuJet 592 (the in-flight fire and crash in the Florida Everglades). They got shut down for a poor safety record.

Does Ryanair have a decent safety record? FWIW - I thought that Thomson was the least safe of the airlines that I have flown with. I am never usually afraid of flying, but I am getting a bad vibe with this one.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1

I just can't help but think that the low costs may lead to inferior maintenance. That has downed some planes before.
You sound a little paranoid. Air accidents are generally some of the rarest out of all forms of transport, asides from motorbikes and bicycles perhaps.

RyanAir though... it's cramped. Very cramped. Bear that in mind if you don't like crowds.
Reply 4
Original post by Joe2001
I just can't help but think that the low costs may lead to inferior maintenance. That has downed some planes before.

Despite the data saying otherwise for Ryanair?

When was the last fatal air crash for Ryanair? Answer, never.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ryanair#Accidents_and_incidents
Safe otherwise i would be dead, i fly 3-4 times a year within europe...between germany and uk primarily...
Original post by Doonesbury
Despite the data saying otherwise for Ryanair?

When was the last fatal air crash for Ryanair? Answer, never.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ryanair#Accidents_and_incidents

Same for ValuJet before 592 went down though.
Original post by NonIndigenous
You sound a little paranoid. Air accidents are generally some of the rarest out of all forms of transport, asides from motorbikes and bicycles perhaps.

RyanAir though... it's cramped. Very cramped. Bear that in mind if you don't like crowds.

I am a bit paranoid, but I do know that flying is safe. What scares me is that low cost carriers have been known to skip maintenance procedures in the past which have led to accidents. Thomson felt slightly unsafe on the two trips that I flew with them.
Reply 8
To be clear, I never choose to fly with them but that's for entirely different reasons than any concerns about their air safety.
plane doesnt have any bad reputation for crashes, etc, but the landing is bumpy

[video="youtube;LgMgENqGxkM"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LgMgENqGxkM[/video]
If there was something unsafe about RyanAir then they would not be licensed to fly.
Reply 11
Original post by Joe2001
Same for ValuJet before 592 went down though.

How experienced an airline was ValuJet? How many years had they been flying before that accident in 1996 (20 years ago)? Had they been flagged for safety problems the year before?

Ryanair isn't ValuJet.

(Of course, there's no guarantees, but the same could be said for crossing the street.)
There obviously isn't anything to prove that Ryanair is unsafe, but I have never had an issue like this before. I would never fly any airline that has caused a past crash (e.g Alaska Airlines).
How experienced an airline was ValuJet? How many years had they been flying before that accident in 1996 (20 years ago)? Had they been flagged for safety problems the year before?

Ryanair isn't ValuJet.

(Of course, there's no guarantees, but the same could be said for crossing the street.)

They only lasted 4 years. Obviously much less than Ryanair, but it was also a low-cost carrier from a developed country. They were often pulled up for maintenance issues.

To be fair, a lot of American airlines have been pulled up back in the 80's & 90's. Alaska Airlines is one that I will never fly due to their maintenance in the 90's & early 2000's.
(edited 5 years ago)
If you cant stomach Ryan air...you can always try Malaysian Air lol.
Reply 15
Original post by Joe2001
They only lasted 4 years. Obviously much less than Ryanair, but it was also a low-cost carrier from a developed country. They were often pulled up for maintenance issues.

Exactly. Has Ryanair?
Original post by Realitysreflexx
If you cant stomach Ryan air...you can always try Malaysian Air lol.

Malaysia Airlines is safe - we don't know what happened to 370 and 17 wasn't the airline's fault.
Exactly. Has Ryanair?

No, but the issues of overworked pilots is a worry.

There was also this article:
http://www.thejournal.ie/ryanair-passenger-safety-1033670-Aug2013/
Reply 18
Original post by Joe2001
No, but the issues of overworked pilots is a worry.

There was also this article:
http://www.thejournal.ie/ryanair-passenger-safety-1033670-Aug2013/

They work their staff hard and have very cheap fares (partly) as a result.

Are they fundamentally unsafe? No.

Would I choose to fly with them? No. But that's not on safety grounds.
16 times more people died from 'contact with a powered lawnmower' in the US than from civilian airline fatalities worldwide in 2017.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending