reagent: propanoyl chloride / C2H5COCl
x: CH3CH(NHCOC2H5)CH3
Original post by zattyzatzat
pic.jpeg
What is reaction 2? And why?

answer:
reagent: propanoyl chloride / C2H5COCl
x: CH3CH(NHCOC2H5)CH3

You work backwards from the hydrolysis products to see that there is an amide group formed. That means that for step 2 you are condensing the amine with an acid chloride or carboxylic acid.
Reply 2
Original post by charco
You work backwards from the hydrolysis products to see that there is an amide group formed. That means that for step 2 you are condensing the amine with an acid chloride or carboxylic acid.

I don't think my chemistry teacher has covered this topic, sorry. So amines can only condense with a acid chloride (or carboxylic acid) only? Acid Chlorides have the functional group of R-C(Cl)=O, so in order to find the R, we look at the compound formed at reaction 3. And with that we can deduce the reagent?

Can you help explain how we can deduce the compounds form from hydrolysis? I don't quite understand how a carboxylic acid is formed is formed from that reaction.
Original post by zattyzatzat
I don't think my chemistry teacher has covered this topic, sorry. So amines can only condense with a acid chloride (or carboxylic acid) only? Acid Chlorides have the functional group of R-C(Cl)=O, so in order to find the R, we look at the compound formed at reaction 3. And with that we can deduce the reagent?

Can you help explain how we can deduce the compounds form from hydrolysis? I don't quite understand how a carboxylic acid is formed is formed from that reaction.

You just have to learn which groups can be hydrolysed and what the products are.

R-COO-R esters and R-CONH2 (amides), are both hydrolysed to the carboxylic acid and alcohol and amine.

RCN is first hydrolysed to the amide and then to the carboxylic acid.

These compounds are formed by condensation reactions (addition-elimination) and broken apart by hydrolysis reactions.

Condensation reactions are important in polymer chemistry and formation of proteins.

Hydrolysis is important in denaturisation of proteins.
Reply 4
Original post by charco
You just have to learn which groups can be hydrolysed and what the products are.

R-COO-R esters and R-CONH2 (amides), are both hydrolysed to the carboxylic acid and alcohol and amine.

RCN is first hydrolysed to the amide and then to the carboxylic acid.

These compounds are formed by condensation reactions (addition-elimination) and broken apart by hydrolysis reactions.

Condensation reactions are important in polymer chemistry and formation of proteins.

Hydrolysis is important in denaturisation of proteins.

ah okay I understand now thanks :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest