The Student Room Group

University of Warwick suspends 11 students over rape jokes

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Robby2312
"nah I'm actually fuming about this meal thing.I swear to god if its the girl in my flat I'm going to go all 1945 advancing soviet army on her and rape her in the street whilst everybody watches"

Seems like a really serious comment there.Are you really suggesting he was intending to reenact the red army's advance into berlin? I wouldn't say this was a threat. Clearly the rape was never going to be carried out nor had any intention of being carried out.If it's not a threat or a promise or in any seriousness then it clearly had the intended designation of joke.The comparison to the soviet army should make that quite evident.Its hyperbole for humorous effect.I'm sure he wouldn't have posted that if he'd known the effect his words might have on a bunch of overzealous feminists.

Except wouldnt many people find it either unacceptable or threatening that they found it amusing to laugh about rape at their expense? The sentiment is there and its been shared amongst a group of unknown people? How is that acceptable?

I really doubt the uni will see it as just a joke. Much like the Exeter case it wouldnt be a wise or effective course of argument for their defence.
Reply 41
"nah I'm actually fuming about this meal thing.I swear to god if its the girl in my flat I'm going to go all 1945 advancing soviet army on her and rape her in the street whilst everybody watches"

Seems like a really serious comment there.Are you really suggesting he was intending to reenact the red army's advance into berlin? I wouldn't say this was a threat. Clearly the rape was never going to be carried out nor had any intention of being carried out.If it's not a threat or a promise or in any seriousness then it clearly had the intended designation of joke.The comparison to the soviet army should make that quite evident.Its hyperbole for humorous effect.I'm sure he wouldn't have posted that if he'd known the effect his words might have on a bunch of overzealous feminists.

“Racism is class”... “Hating coons” [laughing emoji x4] “Love Hitler, hate n*****s and jews and Corbyn”

Do you think these messages are acceptable?
Reply 42

Given the graphic nature of the tirade of rape “jokes” made by that same user against a specific person and women in general, I’d say that’s threat enough. I wouldn’t want anyone associating or even giving this guy an opportunity with his kind of demented, perverse attitude.

Would you be okay living in the same dorms as someone who privately said they wanted to murder you? Not just once, but multiple times as a “joke”. Bloody heck you’d protect the world’s worst if you could.

Thankfully we live to higher standards than these fools.
Original post by Lxxa14
“Racism is class”... “Hating coons” [laughing emoji x4] “Love Hitler, hate n*****s and jews and Corbyn”

Yeah and the comment before says racism is frowned upon at warwick. So then they make some obviously racist comments as a joke.Its a way of making a contrast for humorous effect.
You're taking it out of context.That was clear sarcasm right there.Saying love hitler makes it clear. Who actually loves hitler? He murdered millions of people.
The fact that he says that demonstrates clear sarcasm.Hes just trying to be edgy and humorous by saying the most outrageous thing he can think of so he says he loves hitler. That doesn't reflect his actual views I'm sure.
Original post by JK96
Given the graphic nature of the tirade of rape “jokes” made by that same user against a specific person and women in general, I’d say that’s threat enough. I wouldn’t want anyone associating or even giving this guy an opportunity with his kind of demented, perverse attitude.

Would you be okay living in the same dorms as someone who privately said they wanted to murder you? Not just once, but multiple times as a “joke”. Bloody heck you’d protect the world’s worst if you could.

Thankfully we live to higher standards than these fools.

So are any kind of rape jokes acceptable? Or would you say that because they made the joke they're a potential rapist.That's just not true.The worlds worst are the kind of people who don't make jokes about raping people.Real rapists don't joke, they do.Real murderers don't make jokes about murdering people they just do it.
Reply 45
Yeah and the comment before says racism is frowned upon at warwick. So then they make some obviously racist comments as a joke.Its a way of making a contrast for humorous effect.
You're taking it out of context.That was clear sarcasm right there.Saying love hitler makes it clear. Who actually loves hitler? He murdered millions of people.
The fact that he says that demonstrates clear sarcasm.Hes just trying to be edgy and humorous by saying the most outrageous thing he can think of so he says he loves hitler. That doesn't reflect his actual views I'm sure.

There’s no reason to call black people coons and n*****s. That is not a joke. All these closeted racists would never call a black person either of these words to their face. Why? Because they know it isn’t something to joke about. You didn’t even answer the question: are those comments acceptable to you? I just wanna figure out the type of person I’m dealing with so I don’t waste my time.
Original post by 999tigger
Except wouldnt many people find it either unacceptable or threatening that they found it amusing to laugh about rape at their expense? The sentiment is there and its been shared amongst a group of unknown people? How is that acceptable?

I really doubt the uni will see it as just a joke. Much like the Exeter case it wouldnt be a wise or effective course of argument for their defence.

Yeah but it was meant to be a private joke among friends not broadcasted for the whole world.
Original post by Lxxa14
There’s no reason to call black people coons and n*****s. That is not a joke. All these closeted racists would never call a black person either of these words to their face. Why? Because they know it isn’t something to joke about. You didn’t even answer the question: are those comments acceptable to you? I just wanna figure out the type of person I’m dealing with so I don’t waste my time.

For the record I'm one of the least racist people you'll ever meet so I resent your implication.It's not the comments that matter its the intent behind them.If there is malice and genuine hatred behind them then yeah punish them.If not then don't.You can't just judge on words alone you have to see the intent behind the word and the context its in.Its like when a black person like kanye west uses the word ******. Its fine for him to use the word because hes black and he's using it ironically.If a white person does it's deemed less acceptable.They both said the same word though.Surely its just as offensive if either of them say it.Yet its not generally deemed so because the intent is different.

I care about what people really think not some ill judged comments on facebook. I've made jokes that could be sexist such as telling a woman to get back in the kitchen.Does that mean I hate women? No.Its just dark humour and poking fun at those attitudes in a kind of subtle way.Clearly its too subtle for a lot of people to get otherwise we would't even be having this debate.
(edited 5 years ago)
Everyone using the defence of free speech on this thread shows exactly where the problem lies.

Free speech is purely a legal term, it simply means that an individual cannot be prosecuted for voicing an opinion. It doesn't mean you can say what you like and have immunity from any consequences that occur as a result. Freedom of speech means, yes, you can have an opinion, but it also means other people can challenge you about it. Freedom of speech means, yes, you can be as nasty and disgusting and hate-filled as you like, but it also means that you will undoubtedly get backlash should what you say be deemed offensive. You can't say the things these guys have said and expect not to get pulled up about it when it becomes public. As an adult you, and only you, are completely responsible for your own actions and words, you're not a child anymore. I only hope these morons get punished adequately, why can't people just be nice for a change?
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 49

I dont think edgy / humorous angle is going to protect them.
Having a quick look though it seems they are in breach of the Dignity at Warwick Policy.

The offences are classes as major.

1. bullying, harassment, unlawful discrimination, racism, hate crime or other breaches of the Dignity at Warwick Policy;
demonstrate a commitment to upholding the University's policies on Equality, Diversity & Inclusion. [ It goes on to talk about dignity and respect being a bedrock of student behaviour]

and also

2. conduct which, by whatever means, interferes with the normal operation of the University’s business or which is likely to bring the University into disrepute.
Reply 50
Yeah but it was meant to be a private joke among friends not broadcasted for the whole world.

That is the risk they take. They were caught. It is now in the public domain.
Its not ok, but worth ruining 11 peoples lives over...absolutely not.

These are childish jokes made by 18 years old, its apparent they are freshers...and i dont think they ever expected this group chat to go to the outside world...though i have to wonder...

For example at my uni we have a course group chat...

If this is a course group chat and not a bunch of close friends...this was a grave error in judgement.
Just how emotionally stunted do you have to be to regard some of those messages as jokes?
Original post by 999tigger
I dont think edgy / humorous angle is going to protect them.
Having a quick look though it seems they are in breach of the Dignity at Warwick Policy.

The offences are classes as major.

1. bullying, harassment, unlawful discrimination, racism, hate crime or other breaches of the Dignity at Warwick Policy;
demonstrate a commitment to upholding the University's policies on Equality, Diversity & Inclusion. [ It goes on to talk about dignity and respect being a bedrock of student behaviour]

and also

2. conduct which, by whatever means, interferes with the normal operation of the University’s business or which is likely to bring the University into disrepute.

racism is defined as discrimination based on race.If there was no serious intent behind the comments then arguably you're not discriminating against anyone.I agree though that that won't save them.
Reply 54
Original post by Realitysreflexx

These are childish jokes made by 18 years old, its apparent they are freshers...and i dont think they ever expected this group chat to go to the outside world...though i have to wonder...

If this is a course group chat and not a bunch of close friends...this was a grave error in judgement.

How would they get past the damage done to the university and the student community if they arent deal with by the rules?

They are obviously very bright, so must have known there were rules regarding their behaviour? I doubt all 11 will be expelled, just some of them.

They can try and get into another university. They have lost the privilege of being at their current one.

They weren’t freshers. Some of them were execs and meant to represent the university. Maybe they should have thought about the consequences before being *******s.

They have been suspended, not expelled.

Their lives haven't been ruined.
Original post by Lxxa14

Acceptable to who?
So are any kind of rape jokes acceptable? Or would you say that because they made the joke they're a potential rapist.That's just not true.The worlds worst are the kind of people who don't make jokes about raping people.Real rapists don't joke, they do.Real murderers don't make jokes about murdering people they just do it.

You evidently know nothing about law. “It was a joke” is not something that will stand as a defence. This is incitement, plain and simple.
Reply 59
racism is defined as discrimination based on race.If there was no serious intent behind the comments then arguably you're not discriminating against anyone.I agree though that that won't save them.

Racist remarks were only one aspect of why they were in breach. I dont believe you argument holds because it has much to do with the impact on other people about whether it is to be viewed as racist or offensive. If you follow that line of argument you are hiding behind the it was all a joke, we found it funny, so everyone else has to as well line of argument. It isnt a winner.

They look guilty on the disrepute charge and the respect and dignity breach. Bit cringe that several of them were reps for the uni in dealings with the local Rape and Sexual Abuse Centre.

Time for a gap year i'd think or clearing for some of them.

Quick Reply