The Student Room Group

Advice for a PBS fresher? Study preparation?

I'm going to be a fresher at Cambridge, studying PBS in October 2018. I'm on my gap year so I have plenty of time to read-up and prepare for the course, but I'm not sure how or where to find resources, since it seems like it's all tied up on Raven/Moodle...

Does anyone have any advice for starting out strong for the course? How should I prepare? Any recommended books or places to find study resources? Also any general tips or chatting about freshers is all very welcome.

Thanks.
Reply 1
Original post by Kaetali
I'm going to be a fresher at Cambridge, studying PBS in October 2018. I'm on my gap year so I have plenty of time to read-up and prepare for the course, but I'm not sure how or where to find resources, since it seems like it's all tied up on Raven/Moodle...

Does anyone have any advice for starting out strong for the course? How should I prepare? Any recommended books or places to find study resources? Also any general tips or chatting about freshers is all very welcome.

Thanks.

Have you had a look at the PBS site?
Eg. https://www.pbs.tripos.cam.ac.uk/prospective/faq#section-8

I doubt you will be given Raven access until much closer to Term, but you could always ask your DoS for additional prep reading.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
If your DoS wants you to read something to prep up for the course, you will receive a reading list of easy entry books after A level results in August. Most of these lists are entirely optional, and most likely won't benefit you tremendously come October. If I'm being honest, enjoy yourself before (and whilst!!) you are here, if you fancy a little extra reading then go for it - but I doubt you will need to prepare too much.

Ps I did a little digging on the PBS site - and this link seems to give all the papers available in first year, here - with a few selected readings. Be warned, however, some of this stuff may be massively confusing - they mean for this to be read in conjunction with the lectures they are giving you!!
Reply 3
Original post by Doonesbury
Have you had a look at the PBS site?
Eg. https://www.pbs.tripos.cam.ac.uk/prospective/faq#section-8

I doubt you will be given Raven access until much closer to Term, but you could always ask your DoS for additional prep reading.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for the response. Yeah I've looked through the tripos website and course guide. I'm hoping to stumble upon some sort of accessible textbook if one exists. Do you know when we get access to Raven? Or is it when we arrive?
Reply 4
Original post by Kaetali
Thanks for the response. Yeah I've looked through the tripos website and course guide. I'm hoping to stumble upon some sort of accessible textbook if one exists. Do you know when we get access to Raven? Or is it when we arrive?

I can't remember exactly, and it might vary by college, but I think it's a few weeks before you arrive.

As with all things, it's best to contact your DoS about all this :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by Geo1215
If your DoS wants you to read something to prep up for the course, you will receive a reading list of easy entry books after A level results in August. Most of these lists are entirely optional, and most likely won't benefit you tremendously come October. If I'm being honest, enjoy yourself before (and whilst!!) you are here, if you fancy a little extra reading then go for it - but I doubt you will need to prepare too much.

I did a little digging on the PBS site - and this link seems to give all the papers available in first year, here - with a few selected readings. Be warned, however, some of this stuff may be massively confusing - they mean for this to be read in conjunction with the lectures they are giving you!!

Thanks for the great response.

I'm trying to get ahead so I don't feel quite so swamped with work later on (if at all possible - probably not!). I tend to enjoy myself the most when I feel very prepared and so not as anxious.

Original post by Geo1215
some of this stuff may be massively confusing - they mean for this to be read in conjunction with the lectures they are giving you!!
- That's a good point that I hadn't thought about. Not sure how to avoid that one...
Reply 6
Original post by Doonesbury
I can't remember exactly, and it might vary by college, but I think it's a few weeks before you arrive.

As with all things, it's best to contact your DoS about all this :smile:

I've just emailed her. Thanks :h:
Reply 7
Original post by Kaetali
Thanks for the great response.

I'm trying to get ahead so I don't feel quite so swamped with work later on (if at all possible - probably not!). I tend to enjoy myself the most when I feel very prepared and so not as anxious.

- That's a good point that I hadn't thought about. Not sure how to avoid that one...

Don't worry about it at all - everyone is in the same position as you! Once you are here in October it won't take long to get your head around it all, and then you can plan it all out :smile:
Original post by Geo1215

Ps I did a little digging on the PBS site - and this link seems to give all the papers available in first year, here - with a few selected readings. Be warned, however, some of this stuff may be massively confusing - they mean for this to be read in conjunction with the lectures they are giving you!!

do you know if there is a similar guide for geography, thanks!
Definitely read Thinking Fast and Slow or How to win friends and influence people, great books and somewhat related to your subject.
Reply 10
Original post by cambridgedream
do you know if there is a similar guide for geography, thanks!

Afraid not - there is a lot of stuff but it is behind the Raven firewall and I don't think I'm allowed to hand it out - we definitely aren't allowed to hand out lectures etc.

Again, my college gave us an optional reading list after A levels - which I don't think any of us actually paid much attention to. It certainly hasn't affected us. Another point here is that once you are at uni you have access to thousands and thousands of books, articles etc for free - in libraries and online - so you don't need to pay a penny. Books on reading lists can be rather expensive to buy outright - one of the main reasons none of us did much pre-reading in August (and why it was optional)

If you really fancy a couple of suggestions then drop me a dm.
Reply 11
Also, since I'm on my gap year I've managed to forget a lot from my A levels. Would it be useful for PBS to revise my A Level biology and psychology again? Both were on the AQA board if that makes any difference.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending