The Student Room Group

edexcel ial biology unit 1 june 2018 discussion and prediction

Hey there guys. Any idea what questions might come up in bio u1 this year? Which points from specification are the most important?

Scroll to see replies

structure.jpg Microscopic anatomy involves the use of optical instruments in the study of the tissues of various structures, known as histology, and also in the study of cells. The history of anatomy is characterized by a progressive understanding of the functions of the organs and structures of the human body.
Reply 2
Original post by barbruh
Hey there guys. Any idea what questions might come up in bio u1 this year? Which points from specification are the most important?

Hey, hope your preparation is going well. I'm just starting to take past papers and feel like I should have started earlier.. I'm yet to go through all the recent papers and get a feel of what might come for the exam. Just going through the spec a few times and doing past papers seems to be the plan of action now. What about you guys-- how are you preparing?
Original post by Genies
Hey, hope your preparation is going well. I'm just starting to take past papers and feel like I should have started earlier.. I'm yet to go through all the recent papers and get a feel of what might come for the exam. Just going through the spec a few times and doing past papers seems to be the plan of action now. What about you guys-- how are you preparing?

No ur not late, we still have about 2 weeks
Which is a lot of time for past papers
Good luck
Reply 4
Original post by Genies

Well, I am also going through my previously solved past papers, looking through the specimen questions in guides, reviewing the 4-6 marks questions and definitions. That is the best we can do for now. What specs points do you think will come up?
Original post by barbruh
Well, I am also going through my previously solved past papers, looking through the specimen questions in guides, reviewing the 4-6 marks questions and definitions. That is the best we can do for now. What specs points do you think will come up?

Do you have a list of the 4-6 marks questions?
I would appreciate that.
Reply 6
Original post by Khalid123421
Do you have a list of the 4-6 marks questions?
I would appreciate that.

Blood clotting procedure
Atherosclerosis
Primary structure and properties of proteins
All the core practicals
Adaptation of gaseous exchange
Heart structure and function

Hope it all helps. :smile:
Original post by barbruh
Blood clotting procedure
Atherosclerosis
All the core practicals

Thank you!
Reply 8
Original post by barbruh
Blood clotting procedure
Atherosclerosis
All the core practicals

We have to learn all the core practicals too?
Reply 9
Original post by Genies

yeah, obviously. You'll see it when you are solving papers.
can someone please explain to me what do they mean by mass transport in the past papers? And why is a mass blood flow advantageous?
Reply 11
Original post by IGCSEsurvivor
can someone please explain to me what do they mean by mass transport in the past papers? And why is a mass blood flow advantageous?

YES! I am confused about it too... :/
Hi,A mass transport/flow system means the bulk movement of liquids and gases around the body.Large organisms need a mass transport system as all the cells need a plentiful supply of oxygen. This needs to be delivered rapidly to cells.Nutrients and other waste products needs to be transported too.Hope this is useful guys!
Original post by Thimashi
Hi,A mass transport/flow system means the bulk movement of liquids and gases around the body.Large organisms need a mass transport system as all the cells need a plentiful supply of oxygen. This needs to be delivered rapidly to cells.Nutrients and other waste products needs to be transported too.Hope this is useful guys!

So if I understood correctly:
so it is important because it transfers oxygen around the body fast enough to reach cells and supply them with the needed sufficient oxygen to allow respiration
Original post by IGCSEsurvivor
So if I understood correctly:
so it is important because it transfers oxygen around the body fast enough to reach cells and supply them with the needed sufficient oxygen to allow respiration

Yeah it is
Does anyone have a method or some information on how to manipulate data from graphs? For example when do we take just take the difference between two values or when do we calculate the slope or find the percentage difference?
Reply 16
there are two terms to be aware of one is bulk transport eg: phagocytosis uses ATP substance packed into vesicles, this is for transport across cell membrane
the second one is mass flow movement of dissolved and suspended substances in a fluid down a pressure gradient, this is for transport through out body using internal transport system
just read the book a few times and google it if you feel the need.
Reply 17
i think the we have to learn the practicals of unit 1 only for unit 1 exam
Reply 18
Original post by barbruh
yeah, obviously. You'll see it when you are solving papers.

learn the practicals of unit 1 only for unit 1 exam
Original post by Genies

permeability of beetroot
effect of enzyme activity and the effect of different concentrations on rate of rxn
test for vitamin c
daphnia experiment

these are all the experiment you need. Learn them by hard so that you can score that 4 or 5 marks question

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending