How did you find the AQA FP3 exam?

Amazing! :woo: 8%
Good :H 14%
Okay :bebored: 29%
Bad :cry2: 20%
HORRIBLE PAPER!! :@29%
Total votes: 51

AQA A Level Maths Discussion Thread - 2018 Edition

Hey guys, I thought I'd make this niiiiiice and early so we can all share how we're preparing for our Maths exams this year?

Further Pure 3
Date: Wednesday 16th May 2018
Time: Morning
Duration: 1 hour 30 minutes
Days to go?: 0 :crazy:

Probably the most important way to prepare for maths is to do plenty of past papers! You can find the more recent papers here and the older ones here.

Also, Physics & Maths Tutor has some good resources for revision - everything from revision notes to questions on specific topics. You can find the Further Pure 3 materials here.

Good luck with the preparations everyone, let the countdown commence!

Other AQA Exam Threads:
AQA AS Decision 1 (MD01) - 22nd June
AQA A2 Decision 2 (MD02) - 26th June
AQA AS Further Pure 1 (MFP1) - 13th June
AQA A2 Further Pure 2 (MFP2) - 22rd June
AQA A2 Further Pure 4 (MFP4) - 23rd May
AQA AS Mechanics 1 (MM1B) - 19th June
AQA A2 Mechanics 2 (MM2B) - 25th June
AQA A2 Mechanics 3 (MM03) - 6th June
AQA AS Statistics 1 (MS1B) - 6th June
AQA A2 Statistics 2 (MS2B) - 19th June
AQA A2 Statistics 3 (MS03) - 25th June
AQA A2 Statistics 4 (MS04) - 26th June
AQA AS Core 1 (MPC1) - 16th May
AQA AS Core 2 (MPC2) - 23rd May
AQA A2 Core 3 (MPC3) - 13th June
AQA A2 Core 4 (MPC4) - 15th June
(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

11 days to go...
9 days to go...

I'm just hoping I can smash the fp4 and fp3 exams, need an 88 ums and an 87 ums and I will have got the A*.
Original post by Anonymouspsych
9 days to go...

I'm just hoping I can smash the fp4 and fp3 exams, need an 88 ums and an 87 ums and I will have got the A*.

How confident are you about getting them?
Original post by Protostar
How confident are you about getting them?

relatively confident I'd say. In the mock I got 100 in fp2, 99 in s2, 94 in fp4 and 86 in fp3 so if I get something similar I'll be quite chuffed.
relatively confident I'd say. In the mock I got 100 in fp2, 99 in s2, 94 in fp4 and 86 in fp3 so if I get something similar I'll be quite chuffed.

Jeez! I could only dream of such results :emo: sounds like you’re sorted tbh, how are you so good at pure maths?? I’m doing Edexcel personally but I’m finding FP2 an absolute nightmare, getting between Es and Cs in mocks but improving slowly. I’m going for an A in FM but even then it’s not looking likely at this stage :erm:
Jeez! I could only dream of such results :emo: sounds like you’re sorted tbh, how are you so good at pure maths?? I’m doing Edexcel personally but I’m finding FP2 an absolute nightmare, getting between Es and Cs in mocks but improving slowly. I’m going for an A in FM but even then it’s not looking likely at this stage :erm:

practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice

I'm using edexcel and ocr papers for extra revision resources for the exams. It's honestly about really practising maths questions and really understanding all the content- doing harder and beyond A Level maths also helps with general maths ability. Just keep practising and you'll get the results you want.

The annoying thing is for my firm offer I need an A* in further maths but an A in maths... so I'm more concerned with further than normal maths lol xD :s-smilie:
I'm using edexcel and ocr papers for extra revision resources for the exams. It's honestly about really practising maths questions and really understanding all the content- doing harder and beyond A Level maths also helps with general maths ability. Just keep practising and you'll get the results you want.

The annoying thing is for my firm offer I need an A* in further maths but an A in maths... so I'm more concerned with further than normal maths lol xD :s-smilie:

I’m doing as much practice as I can really, unfortunately it’s the content I’m struggling with :bricks: but I’ve still got time, I’ll try my best :colondollar:

What a strange offer! My firm uni want A*A in maths and further maths but I can get the A* in either (maths would just be easier for me, although I’m not so sure about C4....) Seems like you’re well on the way to an A* though, so keep it up :king1:
Reply 9
After the exam can we have a poll to see the general consensus of the exam’s difficulty. That’s always fun to see!
Original post by Eddy253
After the exam can we have a poll to see the general consensus of the exam’s difficulty. That’s always fun to see!

Yep, we add a poll to all exams once they've been sat to gauge how students felt about it :tongue:
Yep, we add a poll to all exams once they've been sat to gauge how students felt about it :tongue:

Oh yeah my bad sorry, thanks. Just double checking 😜
I'm doing FP3 this year; just got 60/75 in last year's paper, pretty happy with that. Anybody got any general exam tips for this year??
Original post by Tomazza123
I'm doing FP3 this year; just got 60/75 in last year's paper, pretty happy with that. Anybody got any general exam tips for this year??

I'd say make sure timing is not an issue for the exam.

Try to do as many hard polar coordinates/area questions and differential equation questions to really be prepared for anything they throw at you.
I'd say make sure timing is not an issue for the exam.

Try to do as many hard polar coordinates/area questions and differential equation questions to really be prepared for anything they throw at you.

Yeah I agree, they’re the only two things they can make really difficult by throwing you a curveball. I struggle so much with the x=e^t substitution haha
Anyone got any last tips or reminders before the exam tomorrow?
anyone got any hard polar questions, want to try and make sure I can smash those so I’m more confident for tomorrow
Reply 17
watch how they ask us to integrate cot^8(x/4) just bc its aqa just watch....
Original post by marthajx
anyone got any hard polar questions, want to try and make sure I can smash those so I’m more confident for tomorrow

I would say do the 2013-2017 polar questions as those are probably close to how hard the polar question will be tomorrow. Thats what I've done but im still absolutely *****in it :frown:
Original post by Harj2807
I would say do the 2013-2017 polar questions as those are probably close to how hard the polar question will be tomorrow. Thats what I've done but im still absolutely *****in it :frown:

thank you! I’m okay at areas normally but get distances confused.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending