The Student Room Group

OCR A Level Biology A

i just wanted to know if anyone is also struggling with the mass amount of content for OCR a level biology A?
last year i missed out some parts of the textbook and still managed to achieve a high B but not sure if it's worth the risk this year.
i feel like biology takes up all of my time but has been this way since the start of AS, im struggling to balance biology revision with my other subjects but i still need to achieve an A for uni.

how is everyone else finding revision for this exam? and is anyone else considering missing small parts of some topics out?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by sabrina16
i just wanted to know if anyone is also struggling with the mass amount of content for OCR a level biology A?
last year i missed out some parts of the textbook and still managed to achieve a high B but not sure if it's worth the risk this year.
i feel like biology takes up all of my time but has been this way since the start of AS, im struggling to balance biology revision with my other subjects but i still need to achieve an A for uni.

how is everyone else finding revision for this exam? and is anyone else considering missing small parts of some topics out?

how much have you done?
Reply 2
I’m in the same boat, need at least an A but my focus has to be on chemistry over biology as I did better in biology at AS and find it easier but the amount of content is quite overwhelming tbh. Mark schemes have been my best friend so far cause a lot of biology is in stages and it’s easier just to learn the bulletpoints rather than picking them out through waffle in textbooks.

I’m thinking the same about missing smaller things out, but based on the AS paper it seemed like they were tending to take really small parts of the spec and blow it up massively into big application questions (something about using a potometer comes to mind?) so yeah i don’t think it’s worth the risk. On top of that the new style questions seem to be so different to the old spec that idek if past papers are even helping that much. If you’ve got any good links to websites or YouTube videos, preferably for our spec, I’d appreciate you sharing. Good luck with revision and for your exams :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by sdfsdd
how much have you done?

i havent finished my revision yet but have almost finished module 2, ive done module 3, some of module 4 & most of modules 5 & 6
Original post by jsg9
I’m in the same boat, need at least an A but my focus has to be on chemistry over biology as I did better in biology at AS and find it easier but the amount of content is quite overwhelming tbh. Mark schemes have been my best friend so far cause a lot of biology is in stages and it’s easier just to learn the bulletpoints rather than picking them out through waffle in textbooks.

I’m thinking the same about missing smaller things out, but based on the AS paper it seemed like they were tending to take really small parts of the spec and blow it up massively into big application questions (something about using a potometer comes to mind?) so yeah i don’t think it’s worth the risk. On top of that the new style questions seem to be so different to the old spec that idek if past papers are even helping that much. If you’ve got any good links to websites or YouTube videos, preferably for our spec, I’d appreciate you sharing. Good luck with revision and for your exams :smile:

how far you content wise into your revision?
Reply 5
Original post by sdfsdd
how far you content wise into your revision?

Pretty much all of AS apart from practical skills stuff bc it’s just boring, and started some parts of module 5 and 6. Got a way to go yet content wise but hoping I can get all of it done over the next 2/3 weeks then use past papers more and more after that for practice.
Reply 6
Original post by jsg9

im glad im not alone!! and yes i found that particularly the breadth AS paper last year was just filled with application questions on tiny parts of the spec that are normally overlooked which is so frustrating. i did the Unified biology paper from last year as a past paper and i found it so difficult due to the amount of application and how specific the mark scheme was. but then again the grade boundaries seem to be falling.

i would recommend CrashCourse videos on youtube as they are some of the least boring biology videos i have found. and also http://www.physicsandmathstutor.com/biology-revision/a-level-ocr-a/ as it breaks down questions for each module and has BioFactsheets which are really helpful.

good luck with your exam!

I thought it was just me, it is my most content heavy subject and I’m finding it really hard to balance with everything else. I’m thinking of just doing exam papers but I want to make sure I know all the content first... I want to miss out some parts but I don’t want to risk it :frown:
Reply 8
Original post by rosewater02
I thought it was just me, it is my most content heavy subject and I’m finding it really hard to balance with everything else. I’m thinking of just doing exam papers but I want to make sure I know all the content first... I want to miss out some parts but I don’t want to risk it :frown:

same i feel like i learn a topic and when i go back to re-revise it i feel like im just learning it all again as opposed to revising (if that makes sense).
what other subjects do you do?
same i feel like i learn a topic and when i go back to re-revise it i feel like im just learning it all again as opposed to revising (if that makes sense).

yeah i know what you mean. just reviewing module 5, took 6 hours yesterday. BTW, im doing physics and maths as well. Wbu?

Same, it’s so time consuming too, I do chemistry and french, wbu?
Reply 11
Original post by sdfsdd
yeah i know what you mean. just reviewing module 5, took 6 hours yesterday. BTW, im doing physics and maths as well. Wbu?

im doing english lit & religious studies. i feel like im so behind in my revision even though i have done so much for biology over the past few months, i just hope it all pays off!
Reply 12
Original post by rosewater02
Same, it’s so time consuming too, I do chemistry and french, wbu?

i do english lit & religious studies. im the same as you like i feel like i cant do any past papers just yet because i dont know all the content thoroughly. and when i feel like i know a topic well i do past paper questions on it & i feel like i know nothing at all. at least 1 more month and its over !
Has anyone got the 2017 AS papers?
Reply 14
i think theyre only available to teachers atm. your teacher should have access to it if u ask them
is it just me or is ecology so boring, that it just doesn't stay in your head?
Reply 16
Original post by sdfsdd
is it just me or is ecology so boring, that it just doesn't stay in your head?

module 6 & plant hormones i find so hard to revise
module 6 & plant hormones i find so hard to revise

for me its ecology and muscle contraction. i so wish i had started my revision a month earlier
Reply 18
Original post by sdfsdd
for me its ecology and muscle contraction. i so wish i had started my revision a month earlier

oh gosh ive been putting off muscle contraction forever, should probably look over that topic soon😰 i started mid march but i kind of wish i looked over AS topics throughout the year as opposed to neglecting it for a year and having to go back to it just a few months before the exam. when did u start revision ?
oh gosh ive been putting off muscle contraction forever, should probably look over that topic soon😰 i started mid march but i kind of wish i looked over AS topics throughout the year as opposed to neglecting it for a year and having to go back to it just a few months before the exam. when did u start revision ?

on the 29th of march. I covered all of AS about a month ago but forgot all of it so now im going over it again, but i know A2 pretty well. literally cant wait until, i never have to do biology ever again. i spend so much more time on bio, than my other 2 subjects combined.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending