The Student Room Group

How to get results from gym as I student????

So I'm 19 been going to the gym since 17 years old. I always go 4 times a week due to the time I have and even tho I used to be a super skinny kid and know look better I'm still not seeing many results. my diet is mix and match i try to eat the right and try to eat 3,000 calaries a day but boy is that hard. It is also hard to afford all the food!! So anyone got advice on how to get results and is it possible from going 4 times a week? also how to afford the food on a budget?

Scroll to see replies

can u tell us more specifically why do you think youre ‘not seeing many results’? how much weight youve been gaining since then? also, how much time do you spend in a session?
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 2
each session I normally spend approximately 1:45 to 2 hours.working out a main muscle like chest, back, legs and a smaller muscle group like biceps, triceps and shoulders. I used to be 160lbs now I am 185lbs in the first year I never really increases my weight much. In the first year I increases my bench from 28kg to 48kg.shoulder press 28kg to 36kg bicep curls from 15kg to 30kg and squats I am currently at 50kg than finally deadlifts my max is 80kg I have a bad habit of not taking progress picks.
Going to the gym four times a week should be more than enough if you're eating properly. Especially if you focus on different muscle groups during different days.

Basically, my advice for anyone trying to bulk on a budget is to first try to get enough protein - depending on your height and weight, anywhere from 150g to 200g per day. After that, use the rest of your budget to get those calories. Find the cheapest source of carbs you can and buy that. Even though they have the most calories per gram, don't increase your daily fat intake by too much. For a 3000 calorie diet, your basic bulking spread could look something like this:

200 grams of protein = 800 calories
70 grams of fat = 630 calories
380 grams of carbs = 1520 calories

That's an example of what 2950 calories per day look like. Of course, individual's needs may vary - more protein, less fats, more or less carbs etc. Thus, for your particular issue, after you hit your daily protein requirement, use the rest of your cash on cheap foods that are rich in carbs. Just make sure not to go overboard. Don't worry about it too much however, even if you end up with more fat then you want, you will just need to work a bit harder during your next cut. As long as you're doing proper training and eating enough protein, your muscles will grow.
Reply 4
Original post by Withengar
Going to the gym four times a week should be more than enough if you're eating properly. Especially if you focus on different muscle groups during different days.

Basically, my advice for anyone trying to bulk on a budget is to first try to get enough protein - depending on your height and weight, anywhere from 150g to 200g per day. After that, use the rest of your budget to get those calories. Find the cheapest source of carbs you can and buy that. Even though they have the most calories per gram, don't increase your daily fat intake by too much. For a 3000 calorie diet, your basic bulking spread could look something like this:

200 grams of protein = 800 calories
70 grams of fat = 630 calories
380 grams of carbs = 1520 calories

That's an example of what 2950 calories per day look like. Of course, individual's needs may vary - more protein, less fats, more or less carbs etc. Thus, for your particular issue, after you hit your daily protein requirement, use the rest of your cash on cheap foods that are rich in carbs. Just make sure not to go overboard. Don't worry about it too much however, even if you end up with more fat then you want, you will just need to work a bit harder during your next cut. As long as you're doing proper training and eating enough protein, your muscles will grow.

is protein powder a good source of protein?
Original post by TTRaptor

In most cases, I would strongly recommend it. Per gram, it is one of the cheapest sources of protein out there. However, in your case, it may not be ideal. Since you're bulking on a budget, you really need to find every way to get your calories. Since most good protein powders are pure protein, they are low on calories. Thus, I would advise you to limit your daily protein intake from powders to 30-50g and try to get the rest from foods.

Of course, in the end it all really depends on your personal preferences and budget.
what Withenger said previously is pretty much spot on, Up your protein intake

in regards to shopping on budget, places like lidl and aldi are great, when i was in uni i always shopped in Lidl, could do a weeks worth of shopping for one with just £20 or under.
Also youd have to shop around for a protein powder that best suits you, i had to try quite a few different ones to find one that i liked
each session I normally spend approximately 1:45 to 2 hours.working out a main muscle like chest, back, legs and a smaller muscle group like biceps, triceps and shoulders. I used to be 160lbs now I am 185lbs in the first year I never really increases my weight much. In the first year I increases my bench from 28kg to 48kg.shoulder press 28kg to 36kg bicep curls from 15kg to 30kg and squats I am currently at 50kg than finally deadlifts my max is 80kg I have a bad habit of not taking progress picks.

Based on your progress over a year, I suspect your problem isn't your diet, it is that you are going to the gym on easy mode. You need to learn to put a bit of effort in and push yourself out of your comfort zone.
Lift hard.

Drink 3 litres of full fat milk a day.
It's hard to have good food on the budget. Try to buy high-calorie cereals.
progression is very important.

strength highly correlates with muscle mass. if your lifts are low you won't be muscular

i recommend a routine like https://www.reddit.com/r/Fitness/comments/37ylk5/a_linear_progression_based_ppl_program_for/

diet should consist of good fats, clean carbs and protein. lean meat, tuna, oatmeal, brown rice, brown bread, nuts, veggies like cauliflower.

make sure you're eating around 2500-3000 calories/day consistently

you can have a cheat meal once a week. tgi fridays and mcdonalds does it for me.

also make sure u get enough sleep. 8 hrs minimum

binge drinking kills gym progress
(edited 5 years ago)
Eat cheese.
Oats, milk, PB, pasta

All dead cheap, buy in bulk.
Reply 13
So I'm 19 been going to the gym since 17 years old. I always go 4 times a week due to the time I have and even tho I used to be a super skinny kid and know look better I'm still not seeing many results. my diet is mix and match i try to eat the right and try to eat 3,000 calaries a day but boy is that hard. It is also hard to afford all the food!! So anyone got advice on how to get results and is it possible from going 4 times a week? also how to afford the food on a budget?

-Are you lifting heavy enough at low reps, and changing your routine every fortnight or so?
-Are you planning effectively on what exercise you're doing each day, and not just the same muscle groups?
-Are you recording your sessions on a notepad or something, to keep track?
-Are you eating the right food, at spaced intervals? It's pointless to eat for the sake of calories if it's not from the right source and the right amount (e.g. high in healthy fat and protein, low carbs)
-Are you resting properly and taking enough sleep, and not stressed?

You can get ingredients pretty cheap if you go Lidl, Aldi or Tescos. I spend around £25-30 per week on lots of ingredients:LOTS of fresh veggies (broccoli, spinach and rockets salad pack for 90p, cabbage, tomatoes and spend around £5) beef and chicken (costs no more than £1.70 for each packet and tend to buy 6 packets), bacon (2 x £1.80), sausages, rice (£7 for 10kg which lasts long)
2 hours in the gym is too long
Oh I forgot

Read the FAQ
Read the FAQ
Read the FAQ
Read the FAQ
Read the FAQ

There's your 5 step plan to gains

Get on a proper program mate. A bro-split is frowned upon and wont be as efficient as a tested program. Someone has already linked you some from r/Fitness

Make sure you're getting a good amount of sleep per night and try changing your diet up. I recommend "The vertical diet" by Stan Efferding. It has been incredible for me and even on a summer cut has me increasing maxes each session.

Constantly strive to do better than you did at the gym the last session and track your workouts and diet.

Yes
Reply 18
thanks for all the advice guys!
i try to eat the right and try to eat 3,000 calaries a day but boy is that hard. It is also hard to afford all the food!!

This may be of interest.

Quick Reply

Latest