The Student Room Group

Ial biology unit 6 may 2018

Hello i wanted to ask how to write the answer for question 3 10mark to get maximum marks i have been looking at the marking scheme and didn't seem to get it, if anyone has a an answer to any question that relates to question 3???
This is how I write it-
1. State the independent variable
2. State the dependent variable.
3. State two variables that should be controlled and how they are controlled. Also their effects if not controlled.(invalid results)
4. How to carry out the method.
5. Mention a suitable timescale and then method of measuring the dependent variable.
6. Repeats and mean
Hope it helps!
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by layajoby
This is how I write it-
1. State the independent variable
2. State the dependent variable.
3. State two variables that should be controlled and how they are controlled. Also their effects if not controlled.(invalid results)
4. How to carry out the method.
5. Mention a suitable timescale and then method of measuring the dependent variable.
6. Repeats and mean
Hope it helps!

Thank youuuuuu, God bless. :smile:
Original post by xblac
Hello i wanted to ask how to write the answer for question 3 10mark to get maximum marks i have been looking at the marking scheme and didn't seem to get it, if anyone has a an answer to any question that relates to question 3???

Check out the examiners reports! They are really helpful.
Reply 4
Original post by sarah99630
Check out the examiners reports! They are really helpful.

Okay thank youuu very much :biggrin:
Reply 5
Hey guys, how do you control the temperature in a field-based experiment? :confused:
Reply 6
Original post by pearl02
Hey guys, how do you control the temperature in a field-based experiment? :confused:

I also have a doubt in that question too..
You can't control the temperature but I think if you had to I would write something like measure the temperature using a thermometer and carry out the experiment in areas with the similar temperature.
Original post by pearl02
Reply 8
Original post by layajoby
You can't control the temperature but I think if you had to I would write something like measure the temperature using a thermometer and carry out the experiment in areas with the similar temperature.

Aha.. Thanks a Lot :smile:
How do you extract the juice from the fruit.
squeezing..like an orange..or blend and filter out the pulp for veggies
Original post by colourlessness
How do you extract the juice from the fruit.
Original post by sarah99630
squeezing..like an orange..or blend and filter out the pulp for veggies

thanks!❤
you can mention measuring temperatures periodically throughout the day to determine if the varying temperatures have much effect on investigation
Reply 13
Original post by Ãmýķæ
you can mention measuring temperatures periodically throughout the day to determine if the varying temperatures have much effect on investigation

Thank you :h: !!
How was the paper guys? Was the first question supposed to be a Spirograph or a respirometer?
Original post by Rockitty99
How was the paper guys? Was the first question supposed to be a Spirograph or a respirometer?

I guess the paper was not bad. Lol the first question messed me up. I used a spirometer, wbu?
Original post by ebrahim4realz
I guess the paper was not bad. Lol the first question messed me up. I used a spirometer, wbu?

I wrote a messed up ans, I got oxygen uptake by using respirometer and described that, then at the last line I added a spirogram to get breath rate to get minute ventilation, i don’t know if they’re gonna accept or reject because I put two answers, and if I already wrote about spirometer then tidal volume could be calculated from there itself instead of respirometer :frown:, do you think they’ll give me marks?
Original post by Rockitty99
I wrote a messed up ans, I got oxygen uptake by using respirometer and described that, then at the last line I added a spirogram to get breath rate to get minute ventilation, i don’t know if they’re gonna accept or reject because I put two answers, and if I already wrote about spirometer then tidal volume could be calculated from there itself instead of respirometer :frown:, do you think they’ll give me marks?

Its difficult to say.... we might get a few marks for saying the dependent variable and independent and also marks for saying repeats. But I consulted with a friend, apparantly you observe the locust under a microscope in a thermostatically controlled room and you measure rate of contraction and relaxation of the abdomen.
Original post by ebrahim4realz
Its difficult to say.... we might get a few marks for saying the dependent variable and independent and also marks for saying repeats. But I consulted with a friend, apparantly you observe the locust under a microscope in a thermostatically controlled room and you measure rate of contraction and relaxation of the abdomen.

How come thermostatically controlled room? The independent variable was temperature so that’s what you’re supposed to change not keep constant, right? And the two methods could’ve been water bath or incubator because I think a thermostatically controlled room might be too big for such a small experiment, i don’t know though, but yeah I agree with him, the Daphnia styled practical was correct.
But they asked about the ventilation rate. So it will be tidal volume multiplied by the inspiration rate.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending