The Student Room Group

chemistry

Someone please help me!!

From the first 18 elements only, choose an element which fits the following descriptions.

The element which has the smallest third ionisation energy.

The element with the first six successive ionisation energies shown below, in kJ mol–1.
738 1451 7733 10541 13629 17995
Original post by chem222
Someone please help me!!

From the first 18 elements only, choose an element which fits the following descriptions.

The element which has the smallest third ionisation energy.

The element with the first six successive ionisation energies shown below, in kJ mol–1.
738 1451 7733 10541 13629 17995

What are your thoughts?
Reply 2
Original post by charco
What are your thoughts?

It said aluminium for the first one, is it because there are 3 electrons in the outer shell and even though ionisation energy decreases as you keep moving electrons, the ionisation energy decreases because the electron is the last one in the shell? But I am wondering isn't the electron closer to the nucleus anyway so more attraction?

I have no idea about the second one... between 7733 and 1451 a new shell is broken into because of the big difference in ionisation energy?
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by chem222
It said aluminium for the first one, is it because there are 3 electrons in the outer shell and even though ionisation energy decreases as you keep moving electrons, the ionisation energy decreases because the electron is the last one in the shell? But I am wondering isn't the electron closer to the nucleus anyway so more attraction?

I have no idea about the second one... between 7733 and 1451 a new shell is broken into because of the big difference in ionisation energy?

Both good :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by charco
Both good :smile:

How would I identify it without actually looking at the answer first..... for both....
Can you please explain it to me anyway!!!! please!!!! the second one!!!
(edited 5 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest