The Student Room Group

Birkbeck University

I heard from a few people that mostly mature students pursue their studies at Birkbeck. If this is any true, I feel, this will heavily affect my social life as I am an international student aged 18 really looking forward to a typical university experience. I will be doing a BA in Psychosocial studies. Can someone please clarify what the ambience of Birkbeck really is?
Reply 1
Original post by Cious
I heard from a few people that mostly mature students pursue their studies at Birkbeck. If this is any true, I feel, this will heavily affect my social life as I am an international student aged 18 really looking forward to a typical university experience. I will be doing a BA in Psychosocial studies. Can someone please clarify what the ambience of Birkbeck really is?

Birkbeck teaching uses evening classes. Do you have also have a daytime job?

Most students will be older, the average age is 33.

And more importantly most will also have careers or other demands on their time, so no you won't be having the "typical" student experience.
Reply 2
Many thanks for replying. As regards to your question, I won't be having anything to do during the day. In fact, I am an international student who has never been to London. Was just hoping that for Bachelor's (at least) I would be able to find people who are around my age?
Reply 3
Original post by Cious
Many thanks for replying. As regards to your question, I won't be having anything to do during the day. In fact, I am an international student who has never been to London. Was just hoping that for Bachelor's (at least) I would be able to find people who are around my age?

As I said, most won't be typical students. It would be best to speak to the university about this.

Have you visited it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
As aforementioned, I have unfortunately never been to London.
Reply 5
Original post by Cious
As aforementioned, I have unfortunately never been to London.

If you are an international student who will be investing a lot of money (and time) in your education I'd still advise you to visit.

Do you hold other offers? There's plenty of universities in London, if it's the London student experience you are looking for. Birkbeck is really not a typical university choice.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Cious

The nice thing about Birkbeck is that it is in the Bloomsbury bubble, right next to UCL and SOAS, which means you can live in University of London intercollegiate accommodation, join societies and hang out with other Uni of London students if you want to. There's no getting around the 'evening study' aspect of the university, if you want a typical university experience then maybe Birkbeck isn't for you - but having the time to work and do internships during the day is a fantastic opportunity, especially in a city like London.
Original post by Cious

If you want the typical university experience do not go to Birkbeck as all the teaching and lectures happen in the evening. It's more of a night school University for older students who have jobs. Most students will be far older than you and most of them don't even stay in University accommodation.
Original post by Alexty28
Most students will be far older than you and most of them don't even stay in University accommodation.

There are a fair number of standard age (non-mature) students, especially on the full-time degrees, or so I'm told.
Reply 9
Original post by Snufkin
The nice thing about Birkbeck is that it is in the Bloomsbury bubble, right next to UCL and SOAS, which means you can live in University of London intercollegiate accommodation, join societies and hang out with other Uni of London students if you want to. There's no getting around the 'evening study' aspect of the university, if you want a typical university experience then maybe Birkbeck isn't for you - but having the time to work and do internships during the day is a fantastic opportunity, especially in a city like London.

As I am an oversee students, the opportunities for me to work in London might be difficult though? I think I'll be staying with my relatives so interacting with students from UCL, SOAS might not be easy too?
Reply 10
Original post by Doonesbury
If you are an international student who will be investing a lot of money (and time) in your education I'd still advise you to visit.

Do you hold other offers? There's plenty of universities in London, if it's the London student experience you are looking for. Birkbeck is really not a typical university choice.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I have a offer from Goldmsiths but sadly didn't get the required IELTs marks. Moreover, I am not expecting really good grades and feel that I might not meet the academic condition of my offer. What advice would you give to me about this? But Goldmsiths is where I really wanna go to.

I also hold an offer from Westminster and Roehampton. How are they?
Reply 11
Original post by Cious
I have a offer from Goldmsiths but sadly didn't get the required IELTs marks. Moreover, I am not expecting really good grades and feel that I might not meet the academic condition of my offer. What advice would you give to me about this? But Goldmsiths is where I really wanna go to.

I also hold an offer from Westminster and Roehampton. How are they?

You will have a "proper" student experience at either of them. Roehampton is a bit outside the centre of London but I know someone having a great time there. If Goldsmiths is your preferred choice firm them and insure, perhaps, Roehampton. Then resit IELTS.
Original post by Cious
As I am an oversee students, the opportunities for me to work in London might be difficult though? I think I'll be staying with my relatives so interacting with students from UCL, SOAS might not be easy too?

International students who study a full-time undergraduate degree at a recognised university (which Birkbeck, Goldsmiths, Roehampton and Westminster all are) are allowed to work part-time during term term for up to 20 hours a week and full-time during the holidays.
Original post by Cious

Birkbeck is very close to the university of london students union which has a fair few events throughout the year and you could always join their societies to meet ucl/soas students.
Reply 14
Original post by Snufkin
There are a fair number of standard age (non-mature) students, especially on the full-time degrees, or so I'm told.

Not according to The Guardian profile
https://www.theguardian.com/education/2009/may/10/universityguide-birkbeck-uni-london

And OP I note for a London uni they have a relatively low number of EU/International students.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
Original post by Snufkin
International students who study a full-time undergraduate degree at a recognised university (which Birkbeck, Goldsmiths, Roehampton and Westminster all are) are allowed to work part-time during term term for up to 20 hours a week and full-time during the holidays.

Are Westminster and Roehampton equally good?
Original post by Doonesbury
Not according to The Guardian profile
https://www.theguardian.com/education/2009/may/10/universityguide-birkbeck-uni-london

And OP I note for a London uni they have a relatively low number of EU/International students.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Dunno then, I'm only going on what a few Birkbeck students told me / what I read on Facebook. :u:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending