Report Thread starter 1 year ago
https://news.sky.com/story/academic-...-joke-11368097

Good on him.
username521617
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Why would somebody make a formal complaint over something so insignificant and harmless? Oh, she was a gender studies professor. Now it makes sense...
TrumpTower
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Nor should he.

It saddens me that academia is the ultimate echo chamber.
username3880774
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
One of the main worries I have of going to university is making a joke or something and then idiots like this woman take it to the reporting stage that will no doubt have me kicked out or something.

It is getting silly now, it is like this woman and others like her want to be treated like children.
TCA2b
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Dandaman1)
Why would somebody make a formal complaint over something so insignificant and harmless? Oh, she was a gender studies professor. Now it makes sense...
Showing everyone how a strong, independent woman behaves, no doubt.
username521617
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by TCA2b)
Showing everyone how a strong, independent woman behaves, no doubt.
I mean, who goes straight to an ethics committee and reports someone for making a joke? A joke that wasn't even sexist or wrong. This lady has issues, and the political climate on university campuses these days in empowering people like her.
Andrew97
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Gender studies. What even is the point of doing a degree in that? It allow you to go onto loose women and claim how bins are sexist?
_gcx
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Good on him for standing up for himself.
TCA2b
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Andrew97)
Gender studies. What even is the point of doing a degree in that? It allow you to go onto loose women and claim how bins are sexist?
And glaciers, don't forget those.
Sataris
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
"Too stunned to confront him at the time"

Good grief
TCA2b
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Dandaman1)
I mean, who goes straight to an ethics committee and reports someone for making a joke? A joke that wasn't even sexist or wrong. This lady has issues, and the political climate on university campuses these days in empowering people like her.
I think they thrive off the sense of power it brings, being able to damage a person's career through unfounded accusations, plus it gets her attention. It's vindictive behaviour but who knows, maybe in her mind she's pushing some great crusade forward, meaning she's delusional.
username3880774
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Sataris)
"Too stunned to confront him at the time"

Good grief
I'd understand if someone was shot right in front of her, that would certainly cause someone to be too stunned but a joke? It is clear she does not have the guts to actually stand there and say something for fear people would actually go against her rather than for her which is why she waited til she could report him.
username2569523
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Honestly feminists and SJW’s are getting out of hand...
icequeenTM
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Do you know what is a joke - third wave feminism.
thotproduct
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
yooo whoever reported this absolute legend is moist af what happened to the world
Gwilym101
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
"The issue is not the intent of the comment nor the content or historical/cultural context of the 'joke". If the issue of the joke isn't its content, intent or context, what is left?
username521617
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by TCA2b)
I think they thrive off the sense of power it brings, being able to damage a person's career through unfounded accusations, plus it gets her attention. It's vindictive behaviour but who knows, maybe in her mind she's pushing some great crusade forward, meaning she's delusional.
I think both. She probably sees herself as doing the right thing, but enjoys the power trip at the same time. The sad thing is universities have encouraged and facilitated this. The board actually sided with her. It's pathetic. Universities have become crazy places, no doubt due to becoming saturated with SJWs and spineless decision-makers who want to look modern and progressive.
ThomH97
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
What was the joke? Without it we can't exactly side with her. Although since she is blaming him as an individual for absolutely everything it is very difficult to side with her.

Ms Sharoni says: "The issue is not the intent of the comment nor the content or historical/cultural context of the 'joke'.
"What we should be talking about is systemic sexism (and racism and other isms), the persistence of misogyny in the workplace, and the violent response of men when they are being held accountable! All he was asked to do was to apologise."
username3025040
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
What a joke

Spoiler:
Show
:mmm:
username521617
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by ThomH97)
What was the joke? Without it we can't exactly side with her. Although since she is blaming him as an individual for absolutely everything it is very difficult to side with her.
They were in an elevator. He said "Ladies' lingerie" at a stop (a classic joke, referencing department stores), and that was literally it.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (23)
6.82%
They might tell the bully (33)
9.79%
I don't think they'd understand (51)
15.13%
It might lead to more bullying (128)
37.98%
There's nothing they could do (102)
30.27%

Watched Threads