The Student Room Group

Professor refuses to apologise for joke.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by hypofato
How on earth was it unprofessional? I'd understand if he made a joke about her breasts but a department store joke with a hint of naughtiness isn't unprofessional.

It seems like the only ones who can make jokes these days are comedians, anyone trying to have a normal social life just get ridiculed to the point of being fired, harassed or in some cases suicide.

It is not a joke I would ever expect to hear at my work or any of my clients' lifts.

As I said above, the woman totally overreacted, but it most certainly was unprofessional.

Offense can only be taken, not given, she chose to be offended.

Yet another misconception. Indeed these days there are far too many snowflakes crying about everything, even on behalf of other people. However, it most certainly is possible to give offence. It's really simple in fact. If your intent was to offend, then it most certainly is given. That does not necessarily mean it was taken.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by yudothis
It is not a joke I would ever expect to hear at my work or any of my clients' lifts.

As I said above, the woman totally overreacted, but it most certainly was unprofessional.

I don't know what bubble you are in but in the real world a lot of people make these sort of jokes, they also hang out after work and drink alcohol or take drugs. Higher up the chain, the more it happens.
I don't know what bubble you are in but in the real world a lot of people make these sort of jokes, they also hang out after work and drink alcohol or take drugs. Higher up the chain, the more it happens.

Then film yourself at work in a full lift making this kind of joke.

Oh and honey, you have no idea what happens "higher up the chain".
Reply 63

Do you genuinely work at a place that would take offence to this kind of joke?I work at a law firm, a notoriously "stuffy" industry and that wouldn't bat an eyelid. I have a feeling you'd be in the minority at your place.

Are you for real? Let me guess you think everyone in high positions like in government, ceos etc. live healthy lives that stick to child safe jokes and never ever touch alcohol and drugs to take the stress away.

The only one who doesn't seem to have an idea what happens is you "honey."
Original post by MJ1012
Do you genuinely work at a place that would take offence to this kind of joke?I work at a law firm, a notoriously "stuffy" industry and that wouldn't bat an eyelid. I have a feeling you'd be in the minority at your place.

I only ever heard something like this once, and yes it was questioned.

Then again, I don't live in the UK. Now that I think of it, UK guys within my (international) company have a bad rep. So I take it back, probably happens all the time with you guys.
Are you for real? Let me guess you think everyone in high positions like in government, ceos etc. live healthy lives that stick to child safe jokes and never ever touch alcohol and drugs to take the stress away.

The only one who doesn't seem to have an idea what happens is you "honey."

Why are you assuming? I simply said you have no idea what's happening. I gave zero indication of what I think happens. Tsk tsk.
Reply 67

Then again, I don't live in the UK. Now that I think of it, UK guys within my (international) company have a bad rep. So I take it back, probably happens all the time with you guys.

Haha. Where do you work? Germany?
😜
Original post by MJ1012
Haha. Where do you work? Germany?
😜

Somewhere on the continent.
Why are you assuming? I simply said you have no idea what's happening. I gave zero indication of what I think happens. Tsk tsk.

Ah I see now, that is why you think like this.
Ah I see now, that is why you think like this.

Doesn't change much about our conversation. Or about the fact that you are some loser kid that likes to pretend on the internet.
Doesn't change much about our conversation. Or about the fact that you are some loser kid that likes to pretend on the internet.

Why are you upset to the point of calling me names? First with the condescending attitude and now name calling.
Why are you upset to the point of calling me names? First with the condescending attitude and now name calling.

Upset or just not bothered with your childish bravado anymore?
Upset or just not bothered with your childish bravado anymore?

If you were not bothered you wouldn't even carry the conversation on, yes you are clearly upset.

What have I said that has caused your outburst?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending