The Student Room Group

Accommodating for diversity in schools

I love my headteacher and my school.
Today, our headteacher agreed to
1) West African day which was much needed after all these years
2) Texts from other cultures to be included in our newsletters
3) Students to sit Punjabi and other language GCSEs and finally
4) Weekly cultural perspectives lessons - Those who are interested can learn Mandarin, Gujarati and the Slavic languages within our school and we also have new after-school clubs which also fit in or develop to the cultural perspective lessons.
5) Consider looking into having additional members of staff who are bilingual

My school currently
1) Has 2 large multi-faith rooms
2) In main school assemblies, we sing in different languages. For Christmas the gospel choir sang in igbo which was cool
3) Has different meal arrangements. We only cook in halal and Wednesday is vegetarian
4) Days off school for Eid, Diwali and Pesach
5) Has uniform modifications for muslim students however they often don't choose to wear the hijab.
6) Has a lavatory for non cis-gendered students

This is just my school. What does your school do? (Also consider that my school is extremely diverse and we have perhaps just 1 or 2 white British students per cohort of 200)

Picture of my year group at school!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPhB8AzAnlk
(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

no replies aaaaa
Original post by MLTN
4) Weekly cultural perspectives lessons - Those who are interested can learn Mandarin, Gujarati and the Slavic languages within our school and we also have new after-school clubs which also fit in or develop to the cultural perspective lessons.

My school currently
2) In main school assemblies, we sing in different languages. For Christmas the gospel choir sang in igbo which was cool
3) Has different meal arrangements. We only cook in halal and Wednesday is vegetarian
5) Has uniform modifications for muslim students however they often don't choose to wear the hijab.

This is just my school. What does your school do? (Also consider that my school is extremely diverse and we have perhaps just 1 or 2 white British students per cohort of 200)

That’s brill! Just checking are they happy for you to use that photo? My school have prayer rooms but that’s about it tbh
What if a student objects to Halal meat and it's not a Wednesday?
Original post by lydiarutharnold
That’s brill! Just checking are they happy for you to use that photo? My school have prayer rooms but that’s about it tbh

It's on the school website, twitter and facebook so I just linked the facebook picture here.
Original post by Axiomasher
What if a student objects to Halal meat and it's not a Wednesday?

They can have packed lunch. I'm not muslim but I eat halal. There's literally no difference to me and others but it means a lot to the ~5 muslims in my year group.
that is amazing! we don’t have much, my school is mainly white so it’s not v diverse to start off with. we do have prayer meetings and christian unions though! we have many teachers who are bilingual and trilingual etc, we have trips organised to schools we know in China, India and Turkey. we always have vegetarian options however i’m not sure if its halal. there are a few toilets which aren’t gendered but imo there should be more ad we have a few trans people at our school. languages that we can learn are just German, Spanish snd French. if students want to take a different language for gcse or a-level it’s organised by the school but they don’t give any lessons to help.
where abouts is your school located? mines in SE London
Original post by areyouhuman
that is amazing! we don’t have much, my school is mainly white so it’s not v diverse to start off with. we do have prayer meetings and christian unions though! we have many teachers who are bilingual and trilingual etc, we have trips organised to schools we know in China, India and Turkey. we always have vegetarian options however i’m not sure if its halal. there are a few toilets which aren’t gendered but imo there should be more ad we have a few trans people at our school. languages that we can learn are just German, Spanish snd French. if students want to take a different language for gcse or a-level it’s organised by the school but they don’t give any lessons to help.
where abouts is your school located? mines in SE London

My school is literally in Central London (just checked on the map)
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by MLTN
near Central London!!

ah that will make sense why your school is so diverse! mines in the outskirts of London but other schools in the area are a lot more diverse than us so i don’t really get it :/
ah that will make sense why your school is so diverse! mines in the outskirts of London but other schools in the area are a lot more diverse than us so i don’t really get it :/

Yeah, the schools near ours are similarly diverse but don't have that much of a mix that mine does.
Original post by MLTN
Yeah, the schools near ours are similarly diverse but don't have that much of a mix that mine does.

wow you’re luckyyy make the most of it and learn about other cultures!! also what slavic languages do they teach??
wow you’re luckyyy make the most of it and learn about other cultures!! also what slavic languages do they teach??

I want to learn or at least be introduced to Serbian but I think it's going to be more of a history lesson e.g we learn about Indo-European languages and how they came to be proto-slavic.
Which is still useful information.
Original post by MLTN
I want to learn or at least be introduced to Serbian but I think it's going to be more of a history lesson e.g we learn about Indo-European languages and how they came to be proto-slavic.
Which is still useful information.

ohh i see so like background knowledge on how the languages cane to existence. that is v interesting! awhh not Polish?? (I’m from Poland lol)
ohh i see so like background knowledge on how the languages cane to existence. that is v interesting! awhh not Polish?? (I’m from Poland lol)

I guess so. My friend Alina is polish.
Original post by MLTN
I guess so. My friend Alina is polish.

awhh that’s cool!
Reply 15
Original post by MLTN

My school currently

This is madness. I mean all these 'activities', not the fact that you have friends from different countries. If people want to experience so much 'diversity' they can just go abroad and visit other countries. Why force it on students? I would disown my parents if I was sent to this school.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Ciel.
This is madness. I mean all these 'activities', not the fact that you have friends from different countries. If people want to experience so much 'diversity' they can just go abroad and visit other countries. Why force it on students? I would disown my parents if I was sent to this school.

That is a horrible overreaction, and they're not just activities. These are cultures and religions that we are respecting! Please don't tell me you go to a school that breaks the law for not accepting freedom of religion and belief?

What do you expect my school to do? Tell the ~20 Muslim students that they have to have packed lunch everyday and/or pray outside?

We love all of our students and we look after them. This is why my school is amazing!
Well guess it would be nice having a loo nearly all to myself if I just say I'm trans, the boys toilets at my school are skanky af :s-smilie:

I think it's good that our school teaches more than just: French, Spanish and German. I study French but I wish there was some more choice at my school.
Original post by randomsheep11
Well guess it would be nice having a loo nearly all to myself if I just say I'm trans, the boys toilets at my school are skanky af :s-smilie:

I think it's good that our school teaches more than just: French, Spanish and German. I study French but I wish there was some more choice at my school.

We have more than 2 toilets for non-cis gendered students!
Original post by crecookiesx

Why are you tagging me? I posted in your video thread.

Quick Reply

Latest