The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

london is lit
What is 'London'?
Reply 3
It must be the cost of everything. It's really taking the piss.
London is different from most if not all of England, socially as well as economically. It is not for everyone whilst I like it, and also I think some people have fears about life in a large city.
Jealousy. :wink:

More seriously, it's a busy, fast-paced city. For people from slower towns and villages, that can be a bit overwhelming. On a more depressing note, it also has a very different population profile to the rest of England, which can be upsetting for Little Englanders.
Full of chavs.
Because it's in the South and everyone knows Southerners are annoying as ****.
Original post by Reeeeyah
Because it's in the South and everyone knows Southerners are annoying as ****.

I’m actually from Cornwall but thanks :wink:
Original post by The Relic
Full of chavs.

Aye some people from there do see me as posh when I’m really not 🤔
Original post by dartagnankillian

Oh God, that's even worse.
Aye some people from there do see me as posh when I’m really not 🤔

There are only a few well spoken and decent people but you'll be fine. Its busy most of the time anyway just get on with your day :smile:
Original post by Reeeeyah
Oh God, that's even worse.

If it’s any consolation my family moved from Liverpool, but at least I can enjoy a sunny warm day on a beach :smile:
If it’s any consolation my family moved from Liverpool, but at least I can enjoy a sunny warm day on a beach :smile:

So can I, the sun does come out up North & we also have beaches.
I live right outside London and I think it’s great. There’s the stereotype that Londoners are unfriendly, and it’s partly true, because it’s obviously a lot more fast-paced than places in the countryside. The crowds can be annoying too, but you’ve got those in any major town/city.
Original post by Sinnoh
It must be the cost of everything. It's really taking the piss.

Even the piss is a ripoff
The city itself obviously is great but I think spending there as opposed to the rest of the country annoys non Londoners

Good example is Wembley Stadium. The then England manager and fans agreed it would be better located in the West Midlands. Would have cost less and been more accessible for all fans in England. Built in London because it's London and was over budget, had a terrible pitch, was a couple of years late and ruined the FA Cup in the process. With St. George's Park in the WM it would have made even more sense.

Constant sneering from many Londoners at the rest of England as well. Ignorance re: North/South debate.
(edited 5 years ago)
Noise, pollution, crime, general greyness.

And have a look on Zoopla what £1000pcm will get you in London versus other big cities like say Sheffield or Leeds.
Original post by nexttime
Noise, pollution, crime, general greyness.

And have a look on Zoopla what £1000pcm will get you in London versus other big cities like say Sheffield or Leeds.

To be fair the first bit of your post applies to all large cities in this country, it isn't London specific.

It doesn't make sense for someone to say they don't like London specifically when the reasons given apply to most other cities.

Cornwall is in the south, believe it or not. Land's End in Cornwall is the most southernly point in the British Isles.

Latest

Trending

Trending