The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by L S
Cornwall is in the south, believe it or not. Land's End in Cornwall is the most southernly point in the British Isles.

Aye yeah I kinda know the geography of where I live 😂 I was just making him aware that his comment applied to me and I didn’t agree :smile:
Original post by dartagnankillian
Aye yeah I kinda know the geography of where I live 😂 I was just making him aware that his comment applied to me and I didn’t agree :smile:

My mistake; it's actually the most westernly point. I think northerners still class Cornwall as being in the south, though, which is the point I was trying to make.
Original post by L S
My mistake; it's actually the most westernly point. I think northerners still class Cornwall as being in the south, though, which is the point I was trying to make.

Don’t forget the Isles of Scilly though. And in Cornwall everywhere for us is classed as ‘up north’ so we can’t possibly hate all ‘northerners’. And Cornwall is still south though, I just don’t think saying all southerners were annoying was reasonable, but Cornish people do hate British tourists here so the tourists probably do find us annoying aha. can’t live life without having a Cornish pasty at least once..
Original post by L S

Surely anybody who can read a map can see its in the south?
Is it true that Londoners drink their beer warm or is that a myth?
Reply 25
I was watching a YT vid about the ‘don’ts of London’ (I was...bored) and most people just said ‘don’t come’. The vast majority said really nasty things about it, but as someone who wishes to study there I have to know; why do you hate it? People who don’t live there (and I agree) say it’s like a different county compared to the rest of England, but still, why hate it?
Thanks in advance! :smile:

what didn't they like about it?

the only complaints i've heard are a) it's expensive and b) the tube is pushy and rude. i absolutely do not agree with the latter. the tube is the best public transport i've ever been on and i've experience trains/metros/subways in seven different countries. if you want to experience pushy/rudeness try Toronto, it's the worst. :frown:
Original post by Wilfred Little
Surely anybody who can read a map can see its in the south?

Obviously. Everyone in the south (or south from a northerner's perspective, at least) refers to it as 'the West Country', though.
Original post by L S
Obviously. Everyone in the south (or south from a northerner's perspective, at least) refers to it as 'the West Country', though.

Here in Newcastle we call it that pointy bit on the other side of the world where surfers go to die.
Original post by L S

Probably applies less to Cornwall but I don't understand why people are unable to use common sense I guess, unless there are people who say it isn't in the south, it's the West Country.

But you see it a lot with the North/South thing. People genuinely unable to grasp what each of them and the Midlands is.
Reply 29
Jealousy cos they can’t afford to live here
Original post by nerrrry
Jealousy cos they can’t afford to live here

It's not though is it?
Original post by Axiomasher
Here in Newcastle we call it that pointy bit on the other side of the world where surfers go to die.

It’s more so where people go to either retire, farm, or for rich people to go on holiday to their second homes. Why are people so mean smh
Because they’re too poor to afford to live there.
Jealousy, I suppose. :u:

Kidding aside, personal preference? It also seems popular to dislike London for no reason too, so there's that. :dontknow:
It’s more so where people go to either retire, farm, or for rich people to go on holiday to their second homes. Why are people so mean smh

Sorry dude, we don't really have rich people up here, cept a few footballers, my ignorance is loosened!
I was watching a YT vid about the ‘don’ts of London’ (I was...bored) and most people just said ‘don’t come’. The vast majority said really nasty things about it, but as someone who wishes to study there I have to know; why do you hate it? People who don’t live there (and I agree) say it’s like a different county compared to the rest of England, but still, why hate it?

It depends on the type of person. If you enjoy overcrowded, congested, polluted cities, then London is for you. Personally, after living in central London now for about 8 months I can say that I appreciate the opportunity to experience the deep, embodied culture and diversity of London, but as someone who generaly appreciates the intrinsic value of nature, I dont see myself being able to live in London permanently. With so much going on every day it overwhelms you, especially with the consistent contructions, protests, police sirens and general level of pollution. The air you breathe here is noticeable different from more peripheral regions. I think you would have to experience it for yourself and see whether it benefits your overall lifestyle of not.

TBH, a lot of it is just simple jealousy. London is overwhelmingly impressive compared to the rest of Britain, at least in terms of cities, so the only way the others can fight back is by attempting to put it down, which generally fails.

However, there are also things like economic inequality and a perceived government spending bias towards London which annoy people. I say perceived because it isn't always accurate. However it is true in some important issues.

Some people also perceive Londoners as arrogant or rude, some of which is sometimes true. However, people also misread London attitudes - for example, the apparent indifference of Londoners - which are not specific to London but are a common characteristic of very large cities.
Original post by Wilfred Little
To be fair the first bit of your post applies to all large cities in this country, it isn't London specific.

It doesn't make sense for someone to say they don't like London specifically when the reasons given apply to most other cities.

They do tend to amplify with size of city though. If you live in central London and you want to see some countryside - and i mean countryside not a park - its hours travel. Simply not true of my aforementioned examples of Sheffield and Leeds, which have entire national parks on their doorstep.

The problems of noise and pollution are also amplified, as is the general rudeness of the people.

I think there's only one British city I'd like to live in less than London, and that's Birmingham (all the grey urban sprawl, none of London's advantages). Even the Northern cities with the worst reputation you can think of - at least in those places i could afford a very nice house!
As someone who's lived in London for 2 years, here are the reasons why I am now moving away to give some perspective as to why some (not all) people don't like living here:1. Transport links - It is better to think of London as a collection of small towns rather than one city. Hear about that great art exhibition that's going on in that town? Great, it'll only take two hours of your day to get there and back. Which at first probably doesn't sound too bad, but when you work full time and have already spent two hours of your day commuting, the last thing you want to do is be stuck in a sweaty, overcrowded underground train for more time than necessary. London buses are great as long as the traffic is not too bad (and it is bad ALL of the time). But no worries, you probably couldn't have afforded to attend that nice event anyway, considering commuting takes such a huge chunk out of your pay check every month, Ah the privileges of work life...2. Costs of living and rent - I will try not to reflect too much of what others have brought up about the costs of living, however unless you are on a salary comparable to someone who works in finance you will have to share a less-than-ideal property with others whilst paying an arm and a leg for it. It also seems to be a trend that London landlords and letting agents are the biggest ********s going, and everyone I know who has lived here has a story about a nightmare landlord who would not fix things, interferes with their personal space and refuses to give their deposits back. I have also lived in some dumps, such as the £1,170 a month squalid former-council flat, where the bathroom was a converted coat cupboard and there were mice (another part of residential living in London). But hey, at least it was Central London!3. Noncompetitive salaries compared to other cities - if your company were based in London employers used to pay you more for your role than in other cities due to the increased price of living. This seems to no longer be the case, as in general salaries in London have not increased for a long time, despite the fact living costs have. Now other large cities such as Manchester and Birmingham offer salaries that compete with jobs in London whilst being in locations where you actually have a chance of living comfortably for less money.4. Community feel - there is none. People in London keep to themselves and there is no sense of community in residential areas. This contributes to what many say about London feeling like a very lonely place. Despite all the people, it is difficult to go out and meet new people to socialize, as most act like they just want to be left alone.Not sure this helps at all, but had to give my two cents as someone from outside of London who came to live here. I'm not saying that London doesn't have any positives, however for me personally the negatives quickly overshadowed the novelty of the city.
Original post by nexttime
I think there's only one British city I'd like to live in less than London, and that's Birmingham (all the grey urban sprawl, none of London's advantages). Even the Northern cities with the worst reputation you can think of - at least in those places i could afford a very nice house!

Your idea of Birmingham is way off.

Latest