The Student Room Group

Did an autistic mathematical genius kid really just say that?

Reply 1
Woah genius!!
Original post by Aleiya
Woah genius!!

I don't think authorizing possibly anti-social behavior is justified by the fact that he's 11 and smarter than most 60 year olds.
He said "I'll be the next Osama Bin Laden" (unless I've misheard him).

Why didn't the teacher condemn his comments more harshly? I'm sure the unabomber got away with making similar comments due to the fact he's a "genius".
errrrr wtf.
Reply 5
Original post by MLTN

Why didn't the teacher condemn his comments more harshly? I'm sure the unabomber got away with making similar comments due to the fact he's a "genius".

Kids say dumb stuff like this all the time, not just the autistic ones
Original post by Sataris

Kids don't make disparaging comments all the time. Neither do children with autism. The teacher just let him get away with it which isn't right.
lmao
Original post by Sataris

I see you've been browsing through a few of the TSR threads.
*Pumped up kicks intensifies*
The irony in this autistic genius's comment is that his foolproof plan of having an AK-47 tucked away in his bag is going to fall to **** when he ends up having it forcibly wrested from him (with no difficulty whatsoever) and used upon himself.

Far be it from me to pour the cold rain of reason on his adorable, little mental bonfire, though!
Original post by Sataris

"Not just the autistic ones"...mate, I don't know a single autistic person who has ever compared themselves to Bin Laden or made a comment like that. I don't know many people in general who would make a comment like that.

It's bad behaviour. Autistic or not, genius or not, comments like that shouldn't be tolerated regardless of whether kids say them or not.
Original post by Know Your Enemy
"Not just the autistic ones"...mate, I don't know a single autistic person who has ever compared themselves to Bin Laden or made a comment like that. I don't know many people in general who would make a comment like that.

It's bad behaviour. Autistic or not, genius or not, comments like that shouldn't be tolerated regardless of whether kids say them or not.

Exactly! That teacher didn't even react. Just authorized it. I'm sure they make these comments often but seriously, he should have been reprimanded. How can a very smart 13 year old say "I'm the newest Osama Bin Laden".
Original post by Know Your Enemy

So you don't know any edgy kids? I was wrong to bring up autism again, I only did so because of the OP, but I went through school hearing **** like this from people and never once did I find myself in a school shooting
Original post by Sataris
So you don't know any edgy kids? I was wrong to bring up autism again, I only did so because of the OP, but I went through school hearing **** like this from people and never once did I find myself in a school shooting

I said I didn't know many people...I never said I didn't know edgy kids at all. Friends have made the odd comment on terrorism and I do hear a few things like this but that doesn't justify making comments like that. The edgy kids I know are too emo to make comments like this, hence why I don't hear them often.
every fortnite player ever.
(edited 5 years ago)
Quite often autistic kids/adults aren’t aware that what they’re saying is wrong. We have a tendency to struggle to differentiate between right and wrong, and also often have difficulties making the right decision. It sucks, we can be taught otherwise, but we aren’t all born with basic social skills...
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by MLTN

Tim said, "In modern schools, you need an AK-47". Cameron then said, "Then you'll be the new Osama Bin Laden. The new Al-Quaeda". He was linking his friend's statements to a social story he already knows about guns and who uses them.

The teacher seems to be quite dismissive of the fact neither of these boys are enjoying school, but I haven't watched the rest of the documentary so can't really comment on how she's dealing with them.

Quick Reply

Latest