The Student Room Group

National 5 History 2017-18

Here's a thread for anyone studying National 5 History this year to discuss the course and exam! :h:

How has everyone been finding it? And how are you preparing for the exam, now that we're getting pretty close? :eek:

Scroll to see replies

I cannot cope lol. I'm finding it so hard to study
Reply 2
Well I'm averaging 100% so far this year so I'm pretty confident but I have a prelim for History the day after we come back from the Easter Holidays. My teacher is brilliant though and I'm actually looking forward to starting my revision on Friday!
Original post by lucyaquinn03
I cannot cope lol. I'm finding it so hard to study

Sorry to hear you're finding it difficult :frown: Which aspects of the course are you struggling with- is it a particular topic, or type of question, study methods, or something else? I can't provide any specific answers having not done the course, but if you can give some more detail, maybe someone else will be able to help :smile:
Original post by MLM99
Well I'm averaging 100% so far this year so I'm pretty confident but I have a prelim for History the day after we come back from the Easter Holidays. My teacher is brilliant though and I'm actually looking forward to starting my revision on Friday!

Sounds like you're doing better than brilliantly! If you're up for it, your knowledge could be really helpful to others doing National 5 history who might be struggling a bit, so dive into helping answer any questions you can :smile: Good luck for the prelim and final exam once it comes :smile:
Original post by Labrador99
Sorry to hear you're finding it difficult :frown: Which aspects of the course are you struggling with- is it a particular topic, or type of question, study methods, or something else? I can't provide any specific answers having not done the course, but if you can give some more detail, maybe someone else will be able to help :smile:

yeah mainly study methods and the bloody Evaluate the Usefullness question
Reply 6
Original post by lucyaquinn03
yeah mainly study methods and the bloody Evaluate the Usefullness question

Evaluate the Usefullness is fairly easy once you know how to do it. Use COWPAT;

Content x2
Omission x2
When
Purpose
Author
Type

Content;

Source A is more useful because it accurately describes ... (These are generally the two easiest marks to get)

Omission;

Source is less useful because it fails to describe ... (I generally skip at least one of these as they take the longest given they are recall)

When;

You can argue that it will be less useful if you want but I personally don't

If the source was written in the time of the events write;

Source A is also more useful as it was the written during the time of ...

If the source was written after say;

Source A is also more useful as it was written after the time of ... as the author has the benefit of hindsight.

Purpose;

Generally either the source will be very biased or educational

If biased;

The Source is less useful as the author's intent was to change people's minds about ... and not be balanced

If educational;

Source A is more useful as it aims to inform people about the events of ... and be balanced

Author;

If historian;

Source A is more useful as it was written by a historian which means they should have expertise on the topic

If civilian (during the time period);

Source A is more useful as it was written by a civilian who would have had real experience with the events of ...

Type;

If diary;

Source A is more useful as it is from a diary which means the author was being more honest

If memoir;

Source A is slightly less useful as it is from a memoir and the writer may have tried to overembelish some details

If textbook;

Source A is more useful as it is from a textbook which means the information will be accurate as it would have needed to be to be published.

I HATE type.

Hope that helps and remember you can skip/get wrong three things and still get full marks.
Hey everyone,

I've not seen a Nat5 History thread so I thought I would make one -

What topics is everyone doing, how's Revision, do you feel ready for the exam in 2 weeks?
Reply 8
Original post by A_Long_Way_To_Go
Hey everyone,

I've not seen a Nat5 History thread so I thought I would make one -

What topics is everyone doing, how's Revision, do you feel ready for the exam in 2 weeks?

we’re doing Atlantic Slave Trade, Era of the Great War and Free at Last. i really enjoyed history this year and it’s safe to say that it’s my favourite subject! i feel a little confident about the exam (tbh the only exam i’m confident about) as we did a prelim two weeks ago which i got 100% in! it was totally unexpected but i was really happy.

how about you? i’m interested to see what other topics everyone has been doing this year x

(if anyone would like to ask for any help on question layouts etc. i’ll be more than happy to help the best i can!)
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by nbhdx
we’re doing Atlantic Slave Trade, Era of the Great War and Free at Last. i really enjoyed history this year and it’s safe to say that it’s my favourite subject! i feel a little confident about the exam (tbh the only exam i’m confident about) as we did a prelim two weeks ago which i got 100% in! it was totally unexpected but i was really happy.

how about you? i’m interested to see what other topics everyone has been doing this year x

(if anyone would like to ask for any help on question layouts etc. i’ll be more than happy to help the best i can!)

Hey, we've done the Slave Trade, Nazi Germany and Migration and Empire (I still don't know why my school would choose those three when you look at how much more interesting some of the other topic are...). But I'm feeling okay about the exam, I need to do some more revision on bits of the topics but I should be fine, and well done on your prelim score - sounds like your completely on top of things!
Reply 10
Hello! I like most of you all here is doing N5 history. Personally for me, history isn't the most challenging subject but I'm not entirely sure if I would say that if I didn't have my current teacher who designed templates on how to tackle each type of question which I must say helped me get a safe A in both 2 prelims. Unfortunately, I cannot attach photos here but if you wish, I could send you attachments with the templates via email or social media (try sending me the details through private message here though)
can someone put on some notes on hitler and nazi germany plz
is anyone else doing 'appeasement and the road to war' as their third section? i swear we're the only school doing it so it's so hard to find practice questions for it!!
Does anyone mind explaining to me what a 'developed' point would be for describe/explain questions? I sometimes struggle to come up with 6 separate points for explain questions so if I can figure out how to do developed points that would be great.
does anyone have good resources for the Great War (Scottish topic)?
Reply 15
Original post by A1renegade
Does anyone mind explaining to me what a 'developed' point would be for describe/explain questions? I sometimes struggle to come up with 6 separate points for explain questions so if I can figure out how to do developed points that would be great.

if this makes no sense i am very sorry, but this is how i see it.

well, for explain questions we were taught to only do three points but develop them. i’ll copy out an example of one i did for the Atlantic Slave Trade recently.

Explain why it was so difficult for slaves to resist on plantations. (6)

‘There were many revolts on plantations, but some were very difficult for slaves to carry out for a number of reasons. (don’t think this is necessary but i like to do a little intro anyways)

-Many plantation owners had weapons (1, K). This meant that it was difficult for slaves to revolt because they feared that they would get shot if they tried to run or fight (1, P).

-A lot of slaves were too weak to leave (1, K). Because of the poor living conditions, slaves often got ill which rendered them too weak to revolt. (1, P)

-The punishments for acting out were severe (1, K). In some plantations, trying to run or revolt could get you branded with a hot iron or a large number of whippings, which provoked fear in slaves and made it more difficult to revolt. (1, P)

you could also make this more simple and follow a template that can be used for any explain question.

‘One reason for -topic in question- is -the first reason/point/factor- (1 mark for a point). This is because -things that the factor achieved in terms of the question- (1 mark for developing the point).’ and do this three times in total for 6/6.

basically, i think a developed point is for understanding why this is significant in terms of the questions. the first mark you get is for essentially describing what happens eg ‘One reason for the success of the abolitionists was the work done by William Wilberforce.’, and the other is explaining why this point is important for the question eg ‘This is because William Wilberforce campaigned tirelessly in Parliament for decades in the name of the abolitionists, proposing bills to abolish the slave trade’.

edit: i don’t know how to apply this to describe questions unfortunately, as we usually just do four short points as it is quicker. sorry!

i have no idea if i have explained this correctly but this is what i got from the way my teacher explained things. i hope this makes sense and helps you :-)

good luck for wednesday! x
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by nbhdx
if this makes no sense i am very sorry, but this is how i see it.

well, for explain questions we were taught to only do three points but develop them. i’ll copy out an example of one i did for the Atlantic Slave Trade recently.

Explain why it was so difficult for slaves to resist on plantations. (6)

‘There were many revolts on plantations, but some were very difficult for slaves to carry out for a number of reasons. (don’t think this is necessary but i like to do a little intro anyways)

-Many plantation owners had weapons (1, K). This meant that it was difficult for slaves to revolt because they feared that they would get shot if they tried to run or fight (1, P).

-A lot of slaves were too weak to leave (1, K). Because of the poor living conditions, slaves often got ill which rendered them too weak to revolt. (1, P)

-The punishments for acting out were severe (1, K). In some plantations, trying to run or revolt could get you branded with a hot iron or a large number of whippings, which provoked fear in slaves and made it more difficult to revolt. (1, P)

you could also make this more simple and follow a template that can be used for any explain question.

‘One reason for -topic in question- is -the first reason/point/factor- (1 mark for a point). This is because -things that the factor achieved in terms of the question- (1 mark for developing the point).’ and do this three times in total for 6/6.

basically, i think a developed point is for understanding why this is significant in terms of the questions. the first mark you get is for essentially describing what happens eg ‘One reason for the success of the abolitionists was the work done by William Wilberforce.’, and the other is explaining why this point is important for the question eg ‘This is because William Wilberforce campaigned tirelessly in Parliament for decades in the name of the abolitionists, proposing bills to abolish the slave trade’.

edit: i don’t know how to apply this to describe questions unfortunately, as we usually just do four short points as it is quicker. sorry!

i have no idea if i have explained this correctly but this is what i got from the way my teacher explained things. i hope this makes sense and helps you :-)

good luck for wednesday! x

Thanks, that's quite helpful. That's kinda what I'd been doing anyway but I didn't want to risk doing that in case it only got me 3 marks.

One more thing though. The teacher at my school who is an sqa marker says that you have to explain why each point is relevant to the question to get the first mark (it is an explain question after all). In your examples you seem to be stating.

From what I've been taught and what you've said I think you need to state a reason and explain how it's relevant to the question and then for a developed point say a related fact.

e.g.
slaves only had simple weapons which meant they struggled to resist because they couldn't fight effectively against their owners. (1) Slaves were also afraid to get shot because many owners had guns. (1)

Idk whether I'm just getting confused between developing and explaining though. I'm seeing that teacher tomorrow so I'll ask him to clear that up a bit.

Good luck for Wednesday as well and for your other exams. Are you doing English tomorrow?
Thanks, that's quite helpful. That's kinda what I'd been doing anyway but I didn't want to risk doing that in case it only got me 3 marks.

One more thing though. The teacher at my school who is an sqa marker says that you have to explain why each point is relevant to the question to get the first mark (it is an explain question after all). In your examples you seem to be stating.

From what I've been taught and what you've said I think you need to state a reason and explain how it's relevant to the question and then for a developed point say a related fact.

e.g.
slaves only had simple weapons which meant they struggled to resist because they couldn't fight effectively against their owners. (1) Slaves were also afraid to get shot because many owners had guns. (1)

Idk whether I'm just getting confused between developing and explaining though. I'm seeing that teacher tomorrow so I'll ask him to clear that up a bit.

Good luck for Wednesday as well and for your other exams. Are you doing English tomorrow?

The way you’ve been taught to explain the points is right. You can pretty much just explain them by using common sense. There’s a chance you’re marker hasn’t even studied your specific course and the marking scheme only gives limited information so if you’ve got a explain question the way you’ll gain marks is if your marker has read your answers and seen that you have tried to explain. I don’t know if I’m making sense.

Pretty much if you’ve got a marker that’s got no clue about your topic you can get marks for making things up to an extent
I swear I cannot remember a single fact for anything. Just in one ear and out the other. I need an A this year but I think I'll be lucky if I get a B.
Reply 19

e.g.

sorry for the late reply!

considering your teacher is a marker, you’ve probably gotten it bang on there. i don’t think my teacher is a marker so she’s probably just being more lenient with marking answers than an SQA marker would be.

thanks for this, it helped me out :-)

i did do the english exam yesterday and i found it quite fair, the essay questions were good but the RUAE was basically asking you to rewrite the entire thing with how many ‘in your own words’ questions there were. although can’t say i have ever seen a cat in the local waterstones like

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending